Contribute
Register

High Sierra not installing - circle with line through it in Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm attempting my first install. Got the hardware working (I think). I went through the steps outlined for installing High Sierra on this site, and it gets to the Clover screen, then shows the Apple icon, then the progress bar, then it stalls - it shows a circle with a line through it. I've tried various fixes that I found online:

- boot in safe mode (add -x boot flag) and in verbose mode (-v)
- check InjectNvidia
- remove nv_disable=1 from the boot flags
- switch from the graphics card to the onboard video on the mobo
- remove one DIMM
- used a USB 2.0 port
- plus variations of the above

For the recommended BIOS settings (below - again, taken from this site), I did everything except #2, #7 and #9. I didn't do #7 because I couldn't find it. #9 didn't seem to apply. I didn't think I needed to do #2, but perhaps I do...

1. To access BIOS/UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Load Optimized Defaults
3. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
4. If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
5. If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
6. Set OS Type to Other OS
7. If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
8. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
9. If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
10. Save and exit.

Here's my config:
- Corsair 570x case
- ASUS ROG STRIX H370-F Gaming mobo
- i7-8700K
- Geforce GTX1070 SC GAMING
- Corsair H110i cooler
- Corsair RM650X PSU
- Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2)
- Samsung 960 EVO M.2

Any other recommendations? Change my USB boot setup when I'm doing that on my Mac? I'm so close....

I've attached 2 screenshots taken in verbose mode. It seems to stop on AppleUSBHostResources.... It sits on that for a minute, then the screen glitches and that circle with a line appears. Thanks very much!!

Attachments

• _MG_4574.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 242
  • _MG_4575.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 278
Any other recommendations?
You should read the rules, in particular the one about profiles.

"Still waiting for root device".
When booting from USB means that there is a problem finding a valid System folder to start up from on your USB flash drive.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
If you only have USB3 ports try with your USB flash drive in a USB2 hub.
Ensure that Fast Boot is not enabled in your BIOS settings.

The problem may also occur when your USB controllers are unsupported, if this is the case you should add the appropriate kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

@P1LGRIM Great - thanks very much. I've updated my profile.

I've tried it in all of the USB ports - most of them are 2.0. Also tried it through a USB2 hub with my USB3 drive, and with a (different) USB2 flash drive.

I tried enabling Legacy, but the only area I could find for that was under CSM (Compatibility Support Mode). I enabled that and chose Legacy only for all of the options (see attached image). It then gave me multiple choices to boot from, but none of them worked - it gave me the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" (image attached)

I then tried a Legacy install via Unibeast. With CSM off, it would get to the Clover screen, but then kick me back to the startup BIOS screen. I could not go any further. In Verbose mode, it showed a row of asterisks, then blanked out.

With that Legacy install in Unibeast with CSM on, it then kicked me into a different super-retro screen (image attached), but seemingly didn't detect a boot drive.

I don't know how to add kext's to the USB controllers. Is that explained elsewhere? Thanks again for your help!! Any other people with the same mobo have this issue? BTW, I will happily install an older macOS if that will help - anything from El Capitan onwards (so it works with Adobe CC). But I assume that's not the issue.

Attachments

• CSM screen.JPG
    CSM screen.JPG
    724.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Legacy via BIOS.JPG
    Legacy via BIOS.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Legacy Unibeast.JPG
    Legacy Unibeast.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I believe H370, B360, and H310 motherboards require the latest USBInjectAll.kext, 300-series Injector, and the latest 15 port limit fix. The USB controllers on these motherboards have a different Device ID.

I believe H370, B360, and H310 motherboards require the latest USBInjectAll.kext, 300-series Injector, and the latest 15 port limit fix. The USB controllers on these motherboards have a different Device ID.

That's great - thanks very much @pastrychef and @P1LGRIM

I will try that. I believe the USB gets formatted with 2 partitions, and those kexts go into the EFI partition (into /EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other/)??

I will try that. I believe the USB gets formatted with 2 partitions, and those kexts go into the EFI partition (into /EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other/)??
Correct for the kext, the latest 15 port limit fix is a patch in your config.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back