Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AQC-107 chip is great but its known for "not working as advertised" when it gets hot even with a passive heatsink on it.

Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I haven't really transferred large amounts of data over it yet so I don't know how it will behave with heavy usage... But I'll monitor it when I do.

Great Thread. Glad to see the AQtion NIC work basically OOB. I ended up getting a few AQN-107-104-SFA from WPG Americas, they are on special for $69, but one should know they have no heatsinks. If you get one from another source from China around $160-ish some have small passive heatsinks. I have designed and built a few custom heatsinks before and plan on fabricating one with a PWM fan on it and connected it to the motherboard. The AQC-107 chip is great but its known for "not working as advertised" when it gets hot even with a passive heatsink on it.

I'm also shopping for a sub $600 10Gb switch.

This one from Edimax looks good.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...5175&cm_re=10gb_switch-_-33-315-175-_-Product
I like that its has 8 x RJ45 connectors and it's small not a rack size one.

This one does not look bad either, but its a bit bigger.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=10gb_switch-_-0XP-00NA-00001-_-Product

Any one here with some 10Gb switch knowledge that can shed some light on what to look for in these types of switches?

Either way good job on documenting the progress, can't wait to get back to the states and test things out. Will let you guys know of my progress soon.

I know quite a bit about Networking, actually....retired Cisco certified engineer......

Buffalo has two 10Gbe switches (8 Port and 12 Port), but they look to be unmanaged. Netgear has a managed 10Gbe switch, but it's pricey compared to the 8 port Buffalo. I will say that being able to manage the switch can be very helpful. It's great to be able to see what the port(s) are doing. I am doing investigation on the Edimax switch you listed.

I found it at B and H, which does not charge Sales Tax for out of state customers: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1372391-REG/edimax_technology_xgs_5008_edimax_8_port_10gbe_web.html?ap=y&c3api=1876,{creative},{keyword}gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0JDWlJOV2QIVDNVkCh02igk2EAkYASABEgLsefD_BwE

That might be very interesting.

What's really happened, finally, is that manufacturers are starting to produce Computers with 10Gbe ports (thank you, Apple!!). That means that 10GBE switches are about to become very popular.....which means you may see, very soon, lots more new 10Gbe switches, with a lot of pressure on prices.

You must enable jumbo frames to get real benefit out of these devices, btw....and you need a device (typically a router, or a layer 3 switch) that can communicate and translate between devices that use typical Ethernet frames (~1500) and Jumbo frames (~9000). I suspect some of these devices can, but this is always something you need to check and be sure about before you jump in to the 10GBE swamp.

For me, as I now do Video Editing as my profession, when I'm transferring 4k, 6K (red dragon) and even 8K files over my LAN, 10GBE makes my life much easier. Two years ago I worked on a feature that was using the Red Dragon (6K) files in 12 bit color (absolutely gorgeous), but that was just eating up my network alive.....I remembered that and have worked to correct for that and upgrade ever since, but 10GBE didn't happen until just recently for most small Film and Video Production houses.

The flood (of 10Gbe devices) is about to start.....it may start out slowly, but it will accelerate and soon it will be a flood.....and that should be a good thing......some of those newer 10Gbe devices will be crap, but most will be good....you just have to be careful for a while......

Last edited:
I will say that being able to manage the switch can be very helpful. It's great to be able to see what the port(s) are doing!
You must enable jumbo frames to get real benefit out of these devices, btw....and you need a device (typically a router, or a layer 3 switch) that can communicate and translate between devices that use typical Ethernet frames (1500) and Jumbo frames (~9000). I suspect some of these devices can, but this is always something you need to check and be sure about before you jump in to the 10GBE swamp.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate this valuable info. This is the type of answers I needed.

For me, as I now do Video Editing as my profession, when I'm transferring 4k, 6K (red dragon) and even 8K files over my LAN, 10GBE makes my life much easier.
Video editing is why I want to jump in to the 10GBE swamp also.

The flood (of 10GBE devices) is about to start.....(and that should be a good thing - but you just have to be careful...)
Sounds like I need to wait a bit and keep an eye out for a switch that has all the features you mentioned and most likely the prices will drop alongside the flood.

I'd like to pick your brain a bit and get your thoughts on my idea of a small video editing network set up. If you would be so kind.

I know this is a bit off topic, but....

My idea of a small set up would be a Server Hack X99 with a RAID10 array with 4 10GB NAS drives with one 10GBE NIC card. A 4-8 port 10GBE switch, and two workstation Hacks one X299 with a RX VEGA (iMacPro-ish Setup), and a second X99 with a GTX1080 (Mac Pro-ish set up) both with 10GBE NIC cards in them. I don't know if its better to run another OS on the sever I just figured since I had the parts and I'm use to the Mac environment it would be an easy set up. What are your thoughts? I apologies in advanced for my rookie questions.

Thanks.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate this valuable info. This is the type of answers I needed.

Video editing is why I want to jump in to the 10GBE swamp also.

Sounds like I need to wait a bit and keep an eye out for a switch that has all the features you mentioned and most likely the prices will drop alongside the flood.

I'd like to pick your brain a bit and get your thoughts on my idea of a small video editing network set up. If you would be so kind.

I know this is a bit off topic, but....

My idea of a small set up would be a Server Hack X99 with a RAID10 array with 4 10Gb NAS drives with one 10Gbe NIC card. A 4-8 port 10Gbe switch, and two workstation Hacks one X299 with a RX VEGA (iMacPro-ish Setup), and a second X99 with a GTX1080 (Mac Pro-ish set up) both with 10Gbe NIC cards in them. I don't know if its better to run another OS on the sever I just figured since I had the parts and I'm use to the Mac environment it would be an easy set up. What are your thoughts? I apologies in advanced for my rookie questions.

Thanks.

Well, nothing terribly wrong with your setup thoughts, but really, I would keep it simple: 10Gbe card in an appropriate platform (and I have both Z370 and X99 systems and the 10GBE works fine in both), and a 10Gbe RAID, and a 10Gbe switch with a router behind it. My experience with the macOS is that as long as you are using 10.13.3 (or greater only!), you should be fine. As you must know, I use nVidia card in both my X99 and Z370 platforms, and they work fine.

However, as PastryChef has noted in other posts, the AMD X580 and Vega's are more compatible and easier to configure for a hackintosh, particularly if you decide to go with a X299 gigabyte motherboard platform.

There is an advanced X299 platform thread on this site, which was started by user @kgp, and he started with Asus X299 boards, but has recently admitted that he wishes he could have started with a Gigabyte X299 motherboard and Vegas.....so there you go.....and if I were to go to an X299 platform, it would be a Gigabyte X299 Designaire with a Vega....but I'm fine with what I have now.....and the Z370 with an 8700K is just fantastic....

Last edited:
PastryChef has noted in other posts, the AMD X580 and Vega's are more compatible and easier to configure for a hackintosh, particularly if you decide to go with a X299 platform.
I used an AMD GPU way back in 2011 on my first X58 system build and it was a breeze back then so I'm going to try it again since they say with the new release of FCPX that the AMD cards with OpenCL are great. I'm use to PremPro but have been fiddling around with FCPX and I find it way faster more optimizes for 4K editing. I do love my GTX1080 with PremPro and yes its a pain to wait till NVIDA releases drivers for Mac updates, but hey thats life.

Well, nothing terribly wrong with your setup thoughts, but really, I would keep it simple:
Thanks

My experience with the macOS is that as long as you are using 10.13.3
Ya seems to be what makes the 10GBE cards work OOB.

a 10GBE switch with a router behind it
So I also need a router? This is the bit that confuses me.

This is a screen shot from Edimax's site. I figured the 10GBE switch is all I needed for an IntrAnet set up. Is the router just for the workstations to have access to the internet?

Also saw this on the Edimax site.

They seem to have two versions. hummmm....Might just be a marketing thing, but I will look in to it.

I used an AMD GPU way back in 2011 on my first X58 system build and it was a breeze back then so I'm going to try it again since they say with the new release of FCPX that the AMD cards with OpenCL are great. I'm use to PremPro but have been fiddling around with FCPX and I find it way faster more optimizes for 4K editing. I do love my GTX1080 with PremPro and yes its a pain to wait till NVIDA releases drivers for Mac updates, but hey thats life.

Thanks

Ya seems to be what makes the 10GBE cards work OOB.

So I also need a router? This is the bit that confuses me.

This is a screen shot from Edimax's site. I figured the 10Gbe switch is all I needed for an IntrAnet set up. Is the router just for the workstations to have access to the internet?

Also saw this on the Edimax site.

They seem to have two versions. hummmm....Might just be a marketing thing, but I will look in to it.

As I said earlier, you just need to make sure that your 1 Gb devices (and other devices, like Fast Ethernet devices, etc) will communicate properly with your 10Gbe devices on whatever device you choose to connect them all with....

Last edited:
As I said earlier, you just need to make sure that your 1 GB devices (and other devices, like Fast Ethernet devices, etc) will communicate properly with your 10GBE devices on whatever device you choose to connect them all with....

Ok Thanks, will give it a go once back in the states.

Hello
Maybe it's my first contribution as "a NEW info" for hackintosh community :
The Asrock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 has a 10Gb Port that works OOB with 10.13.3 ➧ very interesting !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back