Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
There is not much difference between AQC-107 and AQN-107. C stands for chipset where some OEM has bought off those chips and designed their own cards. Like Asus designed their own XG-C100C and failed hard as they forgot didn't include Wake on LAN circuitry in it. AQN-107 (N stands for NIC) is a complete LAN card designed by Aquantia themselves and you can get directly from Aquantia website. Most likely from their wholesellers like Arrow, etc. It is amply clear that above two are utterly useless for OOTB macOS experience without any kext patches or firmware flashing. You need AQC-107S/AQC-108S chipset based cards to be usable in macOS. Yes the same exact chipset Apple uses in their iMac Pro and Mac Minis.

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There is not much difference between AQC-107 and AQN-107. C stands for chipset where some OEM has bought off those chips and designed their own cards. Like Asus designed their own XG-C100C and failed hard as they forgot didn't include Wake on LAN circuitry in it. AQN-107 (N stands for NIC) is a complete LAN card designed by Aquantia themselves and you can get directly from Aquantia website. Most likely from their wholesellers like Arrow, etc. It is amply clear that above two are utterly useless for OOTB macOS experience without any kext patches or firmware flashing. You need AQC-107S/AQC-108S chipset based cards to be usable in macOS. Yes the same exact chipset Apple uses in their iMac Pro and Mac Minis.

My AQC-107 (non-S) card works OOB.
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 9.15.30 AM.png
Source: http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=985

There has also been reports that the newer revisions of the Asus XG-C100C work OOB.

Motherboard
Gb Z87-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think I got myself confused with the AQC/N. The link I posted shows AQN but the cards I have are being reported as AQC, which @pastrychef, you're saying work oob.

I loaded 10.13.3 again last night, and this is what I see during boot.

I did flash these with the latest firmware listed on the site. Could this be why it's not wanting to grab the Apple FW?

edit: Since these do appear to be the same chips as the Asus card, and the Asus card did get flashed, is there a way you can dump that FW and I write it using the post from a few pages back?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Vega 56 (Bios flashed to 64)
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't have an Asus card. I have a Syba card that works OOB and never required any flashing. I updated the card to the latest firmware as per post #424 of this thread but it was working before updating firmware.

Maybe your card needs the KextsToPatch to work...
Name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion
Find: 6275696C 742D696E
Replace: AABBCCDD AABBCCDD
Comment: AQC 107 10 GbE v2 by Mieze

Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 5.20.30 PM.png

Motherboard
Gb Z87-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had not tried that yet, but it was on my list of things to try; I'll do it tonight and report back.

Motherboard
Gb Z87-UD4H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Unfortunately, that did not help.

Both of the NICs do still show up and both systems performance about the same.

freaksavior$ iperf3 -P 10 -c 192.168.1.115
[SUM] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.64 GBytes 1.41 Gbits/sec

I do appreciate the help and feedback. Looks like I'll need to get different NICs.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Formula
CPU
i7-3820
Graphics
GTX 970
I have a Sonnet Solo10G Pcie and I can not make it work.
It is updated to latest firmware.
I am using CAT6 5m patch cable to connect it directly to Imac with Sonnet Solo10g TB3..

I made my build following shiloh thread for Asus Rampage iv Extreme.
I have GTX 970, Areca 1882, Sonnet Allegro 3.1, Decklink Mini Monitor and Innateck 4006.
Everything works flawlessly.

Only Sonnet Solo10G Pcie is giving me a headache since it should work OODB.

I can see NIC is in system report and ioreg.
The card is there in network preferences but it just stays red no matter what I do.
The physical light on NIC is green and connection is also green on my iMac network preferences with Sonnet solo10g TB3.

The interesting part is while I still had my internal Intel NIC enabled (not connected to anything) network preferences showed connection on that NIC when I connected Sonnet Solo10g to my iMac..
I disabled Intel NIC and removed kext and removed all SSDTs and still RED (not connected) in network preferences.

I searched everywhere for an answer but with no luck so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I do not know what to do anymore...

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I am using CAT6 5m patch cable to connect it directly to Imac with Sonnet Solo10g TB3..

I have GTX 970, Areca 1882, Sonnet Allegro 3.1, Decklink Mini Monitor and Innateck 4006.

The card is there in network preferences but it just stays red no matter what I do.
The physical light on NIC is green and connection is also green on my iMac network preferences with Sonnet solo10g TB3.

The interesting part is while I still had my internal Intel NIC enabled (not connected to anything) network preferences showed connection on that NIC when I connected Sonnet Solo10g to my iMac..
I disabled Intel NIC and removed kext and removed all SSDTs and still RED (not connected) in network preferences.

Have you installed the Solo card in any different PCIe slot? It requires 4 PCIe lanes. GPU takes 16 lanes and NVMe drive takes 4 lanes. Motherboards have 20 to 24 lanes (Non HEDT ones) So please check if you are over your lane limit.
Get in touch with Sonnet support. If they have advertised it to work with macOS then it should work out of the box. See if they can send you a replacement. If not....
Return it if possible and buy Syba Card. Really not worth the hassle.

It is not advisable to continue to use cards with Kext Patches as they might get blocked with any future updates. It is a cat and mouse game and we need to minimize the risks wherever we can.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus x99 Delux II
CPU
i7 6950
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook

Do you see "built-in" in IOService plane? If you do, check IOACPIPlane, if "built-in" is there, you need to patch it away (post 434) or as Sonnet support to disable that in firmware.

Attachments

• ioreg_aqc.png
    ioreg_aqc.png
    569.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ioreg_aqc1.png
    ioreg_aqc1.png
    442.8 KB · Views: 33