Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I just learned about a new patch from Mieze. IF you're on 10.13.5, and IF you're having issues with the Aquantia, try this, using Clover Configurator:

From Mieze:
Well, it has always been clear that this patch will most likely fail after the next update of the driver. Try to use the "built-in" patch which should still work as it doesn't rely on any specific code pattern.

Last edited:
I tried this on my machines and it worked (but remember, I'm still on 10.13.4). If the first patch isn't working then I would try this patch. Below, I have it in text format (meaning entry via a text editor like textwrangler (and NOT textedit):

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Aquantia2 patch</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
YnVpbHQtaW4=
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<false/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
YmJiYmJiYmI=

Last edited:
I tried this on my machines and it worked (but remember, I'm still on 10.13.4). If the first patch isn't working then I would try this patch. Below, I have it in text format (meaning entry via a text editor like textwrangler (and NOT textedit):

<key>Comment</key>
<string>Aquantia2 patch</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
YnVpbHQtaW4=
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<false/>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
YmJiYmJiYmI=

This old patch still works for me under 10.13.5.

Both patches are essentially the same and are based on Mieze's work in 10.13.4.

News you can use.....another low priced 10GbE card about to be released....

https://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr2018/pr060618_solo10gpciecard.html

Sonnet makes a lot of Thunderbolt adapters, Storage devices and cards etc - they claim that this card will be optimized to work with their TB to GbE adapters, but of course, will work as a standard 10GbE adapter.

Nice price, too!

And here's the critical part (from Sonnets website): http://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/manuals/solo10g_pcie_card_qsg.pdf

Driver Information
For Mac users:
The drivers
that enable the Solo10G PCIe Card to work in your computer or Thunderbolt expansion chassis are installed as part of macOS 10.13.4 and later; the Presto card is ready to be used when you power on your computer.

For Windows and Linux users:
please go to www.sonnettech.com/ support/kb/kb.php, click the Computer Cards link, and then the PCIe Cards link. Locate and click Solo10G PCIe Card link, and then click the Driver link. Locate, download, and install the appropriate drivers.

Which, of course, means that no special firmware changes via Linux mods or booting back to 10.13.3 are needed to run the card directly in any Mac running 10.13.4 or later. According to Sonnet, only Windows and Linux users need to download drivers and Mac users do not!

Last edited:
For those who are interested, and may be looking for a no-hassle 10GbE solution for their hackintosh, I can happily report that the Chelsio T520-BT 10GbE adapter (https://www.chelsio.com/nic/unified-wire-adapters/t520-bt/) works out-of-the box with Chelsio's latest macOS drivers for High Sierra (1.16.45b1).

If anyone else wants easy-to-setup 10GbE for their hackintosh, and is willing to spend a few hundred bucks, this is a great option.

I just installed one of these and it seems to be working ( macOS 10.13.5) , but I can't find a way to manually set the link speed - only auto settings appear available. Are you able to do this with your setup?

I'm not getting great throughput in the write direction, so I want to make sure everything is configured as it should be.

I just installed one of these and it seems to be working ( macOS 10.13.5) , but I can't find a way to manually set the link speed - only auto settings appear available. Are you able to do this with your setup?

I'm not getting great throughput in the write direction, so I want to make sure everything is configured as it should be.

Are you using the new Sonnet or the Chelsio? Post 271 suggests you ordered the Sonnet.....?

What I do to change the settings is I use my switch/port configuration and to some degree, the SysPrefs -> Advanced -> Hardware settings in macOS. Are those settings not available with the Chelsio?

IF you are using the Chelsio, I'm told by others that their support (via e-mail) is pretty good. And if it's new, or fairly new, you should be able to return it.

BTW, you should fill out your profile details so we can know what system configuration you are working with.

Are you using the new Sonnet or the Chelsio? Post 271 suggests you ordered the Sonnet.....?

What I do to change the settings is I use my switch/port configuration and to some degree, the SysPrefs -> Advanced -> Hardware settings in macOS. Are those settings not available with the Chelsio?

IF you are using the Chelsio, I'm told by others that their support (via e-mail) is pretty good. And if it's new, or fairly new, you should be able to return it.

BTW, you should fill out your profile details so we can know what system configuration you are working with.

I ordered both the Sonnet and the Chelsio. The Chelsio arrived today, but I'm still waiting for the Sonnet.

There are several options available in the Hardware settings, but link speed isn't one of them. I can select 'automatic' or 'manual', but selecting manual doesn't actually provide any options.

I will probably end up putting the Chelsio card in my NAS, but I thought I would give it a try on macOS first.

My system configuration is likely to change very frequently, but I'll put something together for my profile.

Thanks.

I ordered both the Sonnet and the Chelsio. The Chelsio arrived today, but I'm still waiting for the Sonnet.

There are several options available in the Hardware settings, but link speed isn't one of them. I can select 'automatic' or 'manual', but selecting manual doesn't actually provide any options.

I will probably end up putting the Chelsio card in my NAS, but I thought I would give it a try on macOS first.

My system configuration is likely to change very frequently, but I'll put something together for my profile.

Thanks.

Well, a lot can depend on the switch you're connecting to. Another user (on this thread) reported that his switch (which was supposed to detect speeds automatically) was defective and he had to have it replaced because it was not properly detecting the 10Gb speed of his adapters.

Also, I would definitely contact Chelsio support, just to double check everything's set correctly.

...so I got to this thread late. I didn’t get a MB with Aquantia until after 10.13.5 was out. Is it possible to download 10.13.3 somewhere in order to get the firmware update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back