Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm....that's too bad. Look at it this way - you're still getting decent (but not fantastic) throughput on your existing system, so you can still enjoy some of the benefits and hopefully Netgear won't be long in delivering a replacement.

This is why I prefer Managed switches....but they cost a bit more.

True ;)

"Gigabit and faster Ethernet links over twisted pair cable use all four cable pairs for simultaneous transmission in both directions. For this reason, there are no dedicated transmit and receive pairs, and consequently, crossover cables are never required for 1000BASE-T communication"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface

@kgp - there is a pretty cool utility called Speedy Net on the App Store (I think?) that is pretty reasonable in cost. And from the command line, there is always iperf. You seem like a cli person to me, and the price for iperf is right (it's free).

One other thought to make sure the switch is not the problem is to get a 10GB crossover cable, and connect your two Macs together back to back. You might even get connectivity with a regular cable (that depends on if the Aquantia's have crossover support on their adapters - if they don't, then you might have to order a Cat 7 crossover cable - that might be challenging, but I just don't know about how well stocked your IT facilities would be where you are).

The final thought is also not great. I just touched my Aquantia, and yes, it was hot, but not as hot as you described yours. It is possible you might have a bad adapter. Hopefully not, but it's still possible. If you have to return one of them, I wouldn't worry about the flashing, etc. - most stores will just exchange it and throw the old one away, and even if they do test it, they'll do it on a Windows machine, and of course it will spit out garbage, and then it's just not worth the time for the them to waste pursuing what's wrong. Chances are, they'll just toss it....

I been running the Asus XG card for a couple of weeks now and for the most part it works great. But then sometimes in the middle of a day it goes dead and need a reboot to bring it back up. Is it going to sleep? or something else entirely?

"Gigabit and faster Ethernet links over twisted pair cable use all four cable pairs for simultaneous transmission in both directions. For this reason, there are no dedicated transmit and receive pairs, and consequently, crossover cables are never required for 1000BASE-T communication"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface

The comment was only profferred For the purposes of TESTING between two directly connected computers.....not for regular use, and I said there was a possibility that a crossover might not be needed.....please READ my responses entirely before you go attempting to correcting them....

Last edited:
Hi ladies and gents,

I can confirm success with the ASUS XG-C100C even under 10.13.4 SU (17E202) and 10.13.5 Public Beta 4 (17F66a). Moreover, the Apple AQC107 10-GBit Ethernet implementation nicely suites my iMac Pro Hackintosh build :thumbup:.. Fur further related information and results see this link...

Big thanks to @Mieze, @mikeboss, @d5aqoep and @mm2margaret & Co. :clap:

Cheers,

KGP

Thanks mate! You just saved me!

Now 10Gb working fine From my hackintosh to Netgear switch. Just waiting my new Qnap to arrive and test it properly.

Thanks a lot!

I have a Asrock professional gaming i7 board. Just got the Aquantia running using patch for 10.13.4 . I had to install 10.13.3 on a separate drive and do a few boots before the card was flashed. just got it working but seems good. stoked.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 5.14.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 5.14.44 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 211
Anyone tested bandwidth with iperf3?

iperf3 -s on AQC107 only gives 4.5gbs
iperf3 -c SPF+ Linux server gives 9.8gbs

On Linux, 9.8gbs both ways.

Sad and good news this time...

The sad news are that my ASUS Aquantia 10GB NIC stopped working with 10.13.5 Beta 5. Apparently the Aquantia Kext patch seems not further valid with this OSX build.

The good news are that I successfully implemented one Small-Tree P2EI0G-2T 2-Port 10GB LAN PCIe Adapter (Skylake-X/X299) and one Intel X540-T1 single port 10GB LAN PCIe Adapter (Broadwell-E/X99). I now also completed the integration of my QNAP TS-431X2 Quad-core 4-Bay NAS tower with Built-in 10GbE SFP+ Port, which now harbours 4x 12TB Seagate IronWolf HDD NAS Drives. Fur further details see post #8019.

Cheers,

KGP

Sad and good news this time...

The sad news are that my ASUS Aquantia 10GB NIC stopped working with 10.13.5 Beta 5. Apparently the Aquantia Kext patch seems not further valid with this OSX build.

The good news are that I successfully implemented one Small-Tree P2EI0G-2T 2-Port 10GB LAN PCIe Adapter (Skylake-X/X299) and one Intel X540-T1 single port 10GB LAN PCIe Adapter (Broadwell-E/X99). I now also completed the integration of my QNAP TS-431X2 Quad-core 4-Bay NAS tower with Built-in 10GbE SFP+ Port, which now harbours 4x 12TB Seagate IronWolf HDD NAS Drives. Fur further details see post #8019.

Cheers,

KGP

So, I know that he has reported success with his Aquantia in beta 5 of 10.13.5. Has anyone else who has the Aquantia working in 10.13.4 and who has then installed beta 5 of 10.13.5 had any issues?

In Beta 5 of 10.13.5, is the Aquantia still working? (Sorry folks, I don't run Betas or I would report....)

Last edited:
So, I know that he has reported success with his Aquantia in beta 5 of 10.13.5. Has anyone else who has the Aquantia working in 10.13.4 and who has then installed beta 5 of 10.13.5 had any issues?

In Beta 5 of 10.13.5, is the Aquantia still working? (Sorry folks, I don't run Betas or I would report....)

Also for me the Aquantia was working well with 10.13.5 Public Beta 5 for a while, until it suddenly stopped working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back