Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
The process is:
  • Everything I've heard and experienced says 10.13.3 is the sweet spot for this process, not 10.13.2. But before you begin, please read the warning listed below.
  • Boot to 10.13.3 and see if it will flash your Aquantia card (the Asus XG-100C - can't comment about the Qnap card).
  • Reboot a few times, and see if you can get it work in 10.13.3
  • But note that if you get the Asus card working in 10.13.3, you must use special Apple Boot Camp drivers for Windows to get it to work in Windows 10 (in my experience, these drivers will only work in Windows 10, not Windows 8). Those drivers are listed in this thread. (post #112).
  • Upgrade to 10.13.4 and apply the patch using Clover Configurator (post #118) or via the cli (post # 120).
  • If the flash worked in 10.13.3, and the card worked in 10.13.3, after you apply the patch, it should now work in 10.13.4.

There is a chance that 10.13.4 will flash the card, but I'm not sure. So, apply the patch, boot and see if it does. And if it does, please report back.

WARNING: When you boot 10.13.3 and Apple flashes your card, that card is, for the most part, permanently changed. That means it's going to function as if its an Apple Aquantia card, and will require special drivers to function in Windows (so far, that's Windows 10 only - those drivers are available in this thread. I think post #112).

With a lot of effort, a user in this forum was able to work with a Aquantia tech to re-flash the card back to its default state, but it was a hassle and a lot of work. So, you may not want to have Apple alter your card. You should think about that, and decide if you want your card permanently changed or not....
Appreciate you reply! Will try to follow the steps you’ve been
The process is:
  • Everything I've heard and experienced says 10.13.3 is the sweet spot for this process, not 10.13.2. But before you begin, please read the warning listed below.
  • Boot to 10.13.3 and see if it will flash your Aquantia card (the Asus XG-100C - can't comment about the Qnap card).
  • But note that if you get the Asus card working in 10.13.3, you must use special Apple Boot Camp drivers for Windows to get it to work in Windows 10 (in my experience, these drivers will only work in Windows 10, not Windows 8). Those drivers are listed in this thread. (post #112).
  • Upgrade to 10.13.4 and apply the patch using Clover Configurator (post #118) or via the cli (post # 120).
  • If the flash worked in 10.13.3, and the card worked in 10.13.3, after you apply the patch, it should now work in 10.13.4.

There is a chance that 10.13.4 will flash the card, but I'm not sure. So, apply the patch, boot and see if it does. And if it does, please report back.

WARNING: When you boot 10.13.3 and Apple flashes your card, that card is, for the most part, permanently changed. That means it's going to function as if its an Apple Aquantia card, and will require special drivers to function in Windows (so far, that's Windows 10 only - those drivers are available in this thread. I think post #112).

With a lot of effort, a user in this forum was able to work with a Aquantia tech to re-flash the card back to its default state, but it was a hassle and a lot of work. So, you may not want to have Apple alter your card. You should think about that, and decide if you want your card permanently changed or not....

Will try these steps later tonight. I appreciate your help!

Appreciate you reply! Will try to follow the steps you’ve been

Will try these steps later tonight. I appreciate your help!

And do keep in mind that there are other 10GBE cards that you could use: the Startech (post #116), the Chelsio (post #115), and even a modded Intel Intel X540-T2 (see pastrychef on the Intel).

Hey there, PastryChef, how about a little background on your X540-T2? Where'd you get it? How much did it cost? How did you mod it? How well does it perform? Did you use the small tree drivers?

Thanks again. Is there any card that is pain free. Pop in and rock-n-roll?

Thanks

And do keep in mind that there are other 10GBE cards that you could use: the Startech (post #116), the Chelsio (post #115), and even a modded Intel Intel X540-T2 (see pastrychef on the Intel).

Hey there, PastryChef, how about a little background on your X540-T2? Where'd you get it? How much did it cost? How did you mod it? How well does it perform? Did you use the small tree drivers?

Full directions can be found in this post. Modding needs to be done in Linux, but it's quite easy.

I got my card from eBay for about $90. I got a 2 port model.

Performance is excellent and seems to be a little faster than the AQC107.

The process is:

I believe my asus card was flashed already. It was working on 10.13.2. Should I just do #118 and patch it with Clover Configurator?
And now BIG question... How to patch? with Clover Configurator.

Thanks much

Last edited:
I believe my asus card was flashed already. It was working on 10.13.2. Should I just do #118 and patch it with Clover Configurator?

Thanks much

Well, on one of my Hacks I am still running 10.13.3 and I added the patch anyway and as I expected, it didn't cause any issues, so I see nothing wrong with patching it ahead of time. The patch is primarily for 10.13.4, however....

Full directions can be found in this post. Modding needs to be done in Linux, but it's quite easy.

I got my card from eBay for about $90. I got a 2 port model.

Performance is excellent and seems to be a little faster than the AQC107.

Thanks for the info! And the driver? Does the card work natively in macOS or do you have to use a driver?

Thanks for the info! And the driver? Does the card work natively in macOS or do you have to use a driver?

No, it is not natively supported. Drivers have to be downloaded from the Small Tree website.

ok, Asus XG-100C (Aquantia 107) doesn't work with patch applied in Clover Configurator and confirmed via text editor,under HS 10.13.4. However it DOES work under 10.13.3 and 10.13.2.

SAD

This patch also fixes the Aquantia under macOS 10.13.4.

The patch is based on Mieze's discovery that replacing the string "built-in" with any other value causes the driver to skip over chip identification.

This patch may be more likely to continue functioning if the driver changes, e.g. under macOS 10.13.5 (I haven't tested the beta yet to confirm).

<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AQC 107 10 GbE v2</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
YnVpbHQtaW4=
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<false/>