Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS B150M-A-D3
CPU
i5 6400
Graphics
GT730
Ok, first I'm sorry to open a new "me too" thread ; I've read a lot of recent threads but I think I've reached the point where I can't get no further by myself.

Here's the hardware:
  • Mobo : ASUS B150M-A-D3
  • CPU : Core i5 6400
  • The bloody bastard graphics card: MSI Geforce GT730 2GB (Video Controller : Nvidia GF108 / 10de:0f02)
  • Plain HDD (no SSD)
Here's the story :

I've updated from the app store my Sierra hackintosh (which was working perfectly) and entered (as a lot of people) the nvidia nightmare. I've followed the advices of the update guide (update clover to latest version, etc). After the update my Geforce was not working anymore (with the gIOScreenLockState of death). I had to fallback to the integrated GPU of the Mobo (Intel HD530), it did not work at first and I had to work with a USB key with a fresh install of Clover ; so I could check again my minimal requirements for my hardware, and had to install : OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to be able to boot, USBInjectAll not to loose my USB at macos start, Lilu+IntelGraphicsFixup to be able to use my GPU. Then I cleaned my HDD Clover to be able to work without the USB key. At that point I had (I still have), an up and running High Sierra without the Geforce.

Now, about the Geforce.

I can't get it to work how matter hard I read and try. It used to work "natively" on Sierra ; I mean, it would work perfectly and full featured without the NVidia web drivers, just with the plain Apple drivers. I had installed the web drivers once, but the result was full of glitches so I had stuck to the apple ones which were perfect.

This is what I've worked on :
  • SIP playing & NVidia Web drivers uninstall reinstall as stated by others.
  • BIOS disabling of mobo integrated GPU.
  • Smbios 14,1 / 14,2 / 17,1 (all give the same results).
  • Trying the new web drivers (still having the gIOScreenLockState, even with nvda_drv=1, and mobo GPU disabled).
  • Trying to boot in downgraded mode : nv_disable=1 (no luck : still having the gIOScreenLockState)
The only way I can obtain a downgraded desktop is in the following case
  • Fake id : 0x12345678 (The card is recognized as '5MB monitor').
Even with safe mode (-x) the computer reboots.

Does any one have any advice ? metholody ? trick ?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Also tried to dump the card VBIOS with GPU-Z (VID:10de, PID: 020F), and load it with clover. So far no luck...

Same Problem here... tried everything possible... AppleGraphicsControll.kext patching does nothing unlike the first versions of sierra. The card worked out of the box in sierra 10.12.3 and later.

Hi Manchar, thanks for your answer. Glad to see that I'm not hallucinating :). Sadly, this does not solve our problem for now. I'm still trying...

One more remark : I've created two USB install sticks.

One for Sierra 10.12.6
One for High Sierra 10.13.0

- Same Clover version (latest 2.4 r4243).
- Same drivers UEFI64 (OsxAptioDrvFix2 + EmuVariableUEFI).
- Same SMBios (14,2).
- Same Kexts (NullCPUPowerManagement/FakeSMC/USBInjectAll).

Everything else is left untouched. I have the Geforce GT730 plugged in and use it to boot the installers.

Sierra Installer boots, and I get to the install screen.
High Sierra Installer boots, but fails right after gIOScreenLockState. I can't get to the install screen.

So, the same behaviour is observed in a clean and light environnement : the installer. So it looks like something was changed as a quite low level, and I don't have the knowledge to debug this.

I'm going back to Sierra, I've lost too much time on this pb. I hope this will be solved later, it may be related to the whole bunch of problems people had with High Sierra & Nvidia cards. For me, this has been the most painful update I've ever done since Leopard.

Last edited:
I also get the same screen at verbose mode with gIOScreenLockState...
No luck yet...

I7 3770k
Msi nvidia gt730
Gigabyte z77d3h

Having the same problem as well installing High Sierra, so I installed Sierra instead.

Right there with you. It's stupidly frustrating. I have one newer machine using a 100 series mb and a gtx 1030 that works great. Great enough that I went ahead and decided to move my main machine forward (tried both gtx1080fe and gtx960). Bad Idea. For some people this appears to be a plist issue, but nothing has worked for me so far. Shooting blind over here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back