i7-2600K
Graphics
MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey fellow hackintoshers!

I'm running out of ideas in my own troubleshooting process, and I'm hoping you all can help me.

Per my signature, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 from 2011. It does not support UEFI, so I am trying to use legacy mode for High Sierra just like I did with Sierra. I've installed the OS, and I can boot it using my installer USB (Unibeast 8.3.2), but it can't boot from the install disk (new SSD, converted to APFS in the installation process) yet.

As far as I can tell, my issue is that Clover is booting from the EFI partition of my install disk rather than the EFI folder in the root of the install volume (i.e., it's trying to boot from /Volumes/EFI/EFI, the UEFI install location, rather than /Volumes/High Sierra/EFI, the legacy install location). I tested this: I mounted my install drive's EFI partition, noted the Clover version number from the install log, noted the boot arguments from the config.plist, and made a uniquely named copy of the config.plist. Then when I tried to boot from the install disk directly, it exhibited the problem that leads me to post here: the only boot options are for Windows, on a separate disk, not for its own High Sierra volume. In About Clover and boot options, I can see it's the same version number and boot arguments I noted from the EFI partition, and when I look at config options (to view alternate config.plist files to use), the uniquely named one I put in the EFI partition is what is shown. The version number, boot arguments, and config.plist options are all distinct from what the version of Clover installed in the root of the volume shows.

Obvious problem: I'm trying not to boot UEFI, so I shouldn't have Clover in the EFI partition in the first place. So I followed the advice I have seen and just deleted the EFI/CLOVER folder from the EFI partition (and emptied the trash). When I try booting the drive again, I no longer have the alternate config.plist option (because that file was among what I deleted), but I still see the same wrong Clover version number and the same wrong boot arguments (which is just no boot arguments at all, rather than the "dart=0 nv_disable=1" I'm using in the legacy install), which makes it sound like it's somehow still booting Clover from the EFI partition, even though I deleted Clover there. I had a similar problem a while back with Sierra (refusing to look at the root of the disk), and the solution then had ended up being to use the Clover installer to install using "boot0ss" in the MBR, to boot the first HFS+ volume it found. When I try to do that this time, I run into various problems. The Clover installer will fail, citing "unsupported scheme" (maybe because of APFS's weird partition magic?), and a Tonymacx86-customized legacy Clover installer I found (r4862) doesn't help me either because it still installs to the EFI partition (deleting Clover there doesn't seem to help).

Misc things I have tried:

-copying entire EFI folder from USB installer (which is my only functional copy of Clover right now) to the EFI folder in my install disk
-installing the tonymacx86 official copy of apfs.efi in /Volumes/High Sierra/EFI/Clover/drivers64 and drivers64UEFI just in case apfs is somehow being a problem

I think I just mostly need to find out what to do to make my system boot from the root of the install disk rather than the ESP. Any help is appreciated - thanks!

In case anyone finds this and hopes to use it to help figure out their own problem, I have solved it! Apparently I don't fully understand Clover's structure, and the ESP (EFI System Partition) is indeed the correct place for Clover, even on a legacy install using BIOS instead of UEFI. So I reran the tonymacx86 customized Clover installer and copied the recommended version of the apfs.efi file to both drivers folders in the ESP, and now I can boot straight off of my install disk. Now I just have to slog through the usual setup stuff (SATA controllers, Nvidia drivers, audio, etc.) and I'm ready to rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back