3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Fresh install of High Sierra on Samsung EVO 960 by Unibeast 8 and APFS. 960 is seen in Disc Utility and erased and install proceeds, reboots, and runs some more. Reboot to Clover and 960 is absent. ?

Fresh install of High Sierra on Samsung EVO 960 by Unibeast 8 and APFS...Reboot to Clover and 960 is absent. ?

Successful clean install of High Sierra with Unibeast 8.0 on this same M.2 drive, although Windows 10 has been stable for months on a separate partition.

After the install and restart, the APFS-formatted High Sierra partition does not appear in Clover. Also, Multibeast 9.2.1 will not install to this partition; Multibeast doesn't allow it to be selected.

Is a newer version of Clover needed to read APFS? And/or it is a matter of needing Multibeast 10 to truly complete the install?

You need apfs.efi in the drivers64uefi folder in your clover EFI in order for clover to see apfs-formatted disks. If you did not specifically opt out of the apfs conversion the macOS installer may have converted your drive to apfs necessitating apfs.efi. It does not hurt to have it there in any case so best to add it. You will want the latest version, you can pull it from the macOS High Sierra installer, or, if you can get to the file system of your apfs disk, it's in /usr/standalone/i386 (IIRC). Clover does not install this file when you install clover so you must do this manually.

Hfsplus.efi I believe is the "better but quasi illegal" efi to see hfs+ formatted disks. The "worse but legal" efi is vboxhfs-64.efi. You want exactly one of these two files. Clover installs the latter by default.

You need apfs.efi in the drivers64uefi folder in your clover EFI in order for clover to see apfs-formatted disks.

I'm unable to mount the Clover EFI folder for my APFS-formatted partition, in order to add apfs.efi. Is there a workaround, or do I need to do a reinstall to create that EFI folder? Thanks.

I'm unable to mount the Clover EFI folder for my APFS-formatted partition, in order to add apfs.efi. Is there a workaround, or do I need to do a reinstall to create that EFI folder? Thanks.
Do you have a bootable partition? Or are you in the hell that is a single macOS install and it won't boot?

Worst case scenario, you can copy the file from a High Sierra install (even if it won't boot) using Terminal. You have a couple potential options for getting to Terminal.
- boot single user mode (-s): F12 boot to the USB stick with High Sierra installer on it, select your system partition but add -s as a boot option. you'll get to a shell prompt.
- boot recovery mode: F12 boot to USB stick, select recovery partition. you should get a menu option to open terminal.

In terminal you will have to manually mount the EFI partition of the system partition using mount command. To do that you need to identify the EFI partition using the diskutil list command:
$ diskutil list
which will show you all your partitions, and you want something like "/dev/disk0s1". Then mount it with the mount command. One way is
$ diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1
which will create a mount point in the default path, which on a booted High Sierra is /Volumes. So now you should have a way to read and write to the EFI using /Volumes/EFI (or something like that). Finally copy the file
$ cp /usr/standalone/i386/apfs.ef /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
or something like that.

If you can't get to a terminal prompt let me know what boots at all for you, or if you have any other bootable macOS or another computer. Gonna be tricky on Windows, ideally you'll can boot to single user or recovery partition on some machine somewhere.

Do you have a bootable partition? Or are you in the hell that is a single macOS install and it won't boot?

Thank you for your detailed reply!

I have two High Sierra drives. One is the M.2 dual booting with Windows. The other is an internal SSD.

EFI Mounter v3 and MultiBeast 9.2.1 do not see either drive. Clover Configurator sees and mounts the M.2 EFI but cannot see the SSD.

apfs.efi is in the M.2's drivers64UEFI folder. I may have dragged it there, but at this point I can't remember. It may have been implemented there during my clean install. Using CC, I mounted the M.2's EFI folder and installed the individual audio applications from Multibeast manually to get audio working.

I hope that the forthcoming MultiBeast 10.x will simplify these steps.

Last edited:

Worst case scenario, you can copy the file from a High Sierra install (even if it won't boot) using Terminal. You have a couple potential options for getting to Terminal.
- boot single user mode (-s): F12 boot to the USB stick with High Sierra installer on it, select your system partition but add -s as a boot option. you'll get to a shell prompt.
- boot recovery mode: F12 boot to USB stick, select recovery partition. you should get a menu option to open terminal.

In terminal you will have to manually mount the EFI partition of the system partition using mount command. To do that you need to identify the EFI partition using the diskutil list command:
$ diskutil list
which will show you all your partitions, and you want something like "/dev/disk0s1". Then mount it with the mount command. One way is
which will create a mount point in the default path, which on a booted High Sierra is /Volumes. So now you should have a way to read and write to the EFI using /Volumes/EFI (or something like that). Finally copy the file
or something like that.

If you can't get to a terminal prompt let me know what boots at all for you, or if you have any other bootable macOS or another computer. Gonna be tricky on Windows, ideally you'll can boot to single user or recovery partition on some machine somewhere.

Hey am having the same problem, after installing High Sierra from a USB drive.

1. Clean install via CLOVER, 10.13 AFPS. I can boot High Sierra via USB drive
2. Clover Configurator will not show EFI mount for my SSD High Sierra.

I followed your instructions in terminal. I'm stuck here ->

or something like that.

in my case my Hackintosh HD is /dev/disk7s1

After mounting it tells me its mounted. I still do not see the hardrive displayed in CloverConfigurator. I do not know how to go about copying the afps.efi to the driver64UEFI folder. I tried your command in terminal but Clover Configurator still dosen't display EFI partition for my hackintosh HD.

PLS HELP ! many thanks!

Last edited:
@jazztronaut, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

In Terminal type diskutil list and post output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back