Contribute
Register

High Sierra Installation on X58 Hardware Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it connected the monitor ?
Through the DVI connector. There is a HDMI connect too I could try.

Try turning caps lock on and off - If it really is hung the light won't go on or off.Watch your disk light for signs of activity.
Ok I can try that.

I tried removing the WhateverGreen and Lilu kext just in case they were the problem but I'm getting the same black screen. At this point I'm almost 99% sure it has something to do with my video card, but I'm not sure what the problem is. The Lilu and WhateverGreen kext are suppose to fix the Radeon 7xxx series cards now that the Verde kext doesn't work anymore. I'm stumped.

I've started a new thread as this appears to be a video card problem. This one can be closed if need be.

Last edited:
I decided to swap out my Radeon for a Nvidia GTX 260 and I got the installer to appear. I installed HS but when I attempt to boot from the hard drive (after booting with the Unibeast key) I get to a point where it says:

AppleKeyStore: Operation failed (then some random PID and debug numbers)

After a bit it will continue but then a bunch of messages scroll really fast and then it reboots. I used my phone camera to record it and even then I can't read it very well but it looks like the problem occurs when it gets to something called NVDAStartup Official.

I tried safe mode but that didn't help. The only boot arguments I'm using are verbose, -nehalem_error_disable (for the ECC memory) and dart=0. Any ideas?

On a side note, when I was installing HS both times when the system rebooted during the install it hung my system. I had to go into the BIOS and reset the settings to get it to boot again (the motherboard error was a memory error I believe). I have no idea why that happened, but it makes me wonder. It seems ok now.

It seems that if I don't use Nvidia Inject then the KP doesn't happen, but then a little further down the boot sequence it will eventually reboot.

Just for fun I put my Radeon card back in and of course no KP, but no picture either. The hard drive is making noise though which means it did continue booting so I guess that's progress.

Last edited:
have you tried the boot flag to disable the Nvidia drivers? nv_disable=1 IIRC should get you in past Nvidia graphics as it forces the GPU to use its VESA drivers.

Yes I did. I tried nv_disable=1 and I unchecked Inject Nvidia but I still got the reboot. Is there another flag I need to check?

Since you've successfully installed HS on a similar system, can you share your plist and let me know what kext you use? Or can you tell me what options you use?

I had read that if you copy the NVDAStartup.kext from El Capitan (which I have) over the one from HS it might fix the problem. The issue is that I can't get to the hard drive to do this. I can get to recovery console though, is it possible to do this from there?

Last edited:
Solved my issue. I was finally able to boot with Inject Nvidia, Nvidia Generic, Nvidia Single, and NV_Disable=1. Some combination of these worked and I was able to get in and swap out the bad NVDAStatup.kext. My GTX 260 now works perfectly.

Now I need to figure out how to get that Radeon 7770 working for Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back