Contribute
Register

High Sierra - GA-x58-ud3r (Legacy Bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry forgot to say I'm doing legacy boot.
Yes create legacy usb like normal but put the APFS.efi file in the drivers64uefi folder instead. You might also need to copy the hfsplus.efi file to the same folder. But if you want to boot High Sierra from APFS with legacy you create the unibeast legacy like normal and then make sure the APFS.efi is in the drivers64uefi folder it will the detect your portion once installed.

Yes create legacy usb like normal but put the APFS.efi file in the drivers64uefi folder instead. You might also need to copy the hfsplus.efi file to the same folder. But if you want to boot High Sierra from APFS with legacy you create the unibeast legacy like normal and then make sure the APFS.efi is in the drivers64uefi folder it will the detect your portion once installed.
If in the driver64 folder only it will not run the driver and you will not see the partition in your clover boot

Also, in High Sierra one of my drives is not visible. No idea why, the drive is attached to JMicron interface but no problem on Sierra and before. All is AHCI. What the hell, right? :/ Perhaps High Sierra isn't too hack friendly... Yet.

Thanks so much for this-- worked for me.

I just updated my system from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.2 via Unibeast + USB. It was a bit of a tricky process because I had to wrangle with an R9 290 (non-X), custom card (Gigabyte Windforce OC) plugged into a 4K monitor via DisplayPort. But in the end it worked out (with Lilu, Whatevergreen, AppleALC latest kexts in EFI in Other + Clover 3297 installed as legacy + DSDT), and I can boot into High Sierra finally!!! I haven't had a chance to test/bench yet, I was NEVER able to get Sierra to work on this system with this GPU, and even on El Cap I was unable to change anything in the Displays preference pane (like scaling or refresh rate 30 vs 60)-- but all that seems to be working now.

Next step is to test FCPX, Lightroom w/ GPU acceleration, and a few other required things.

Very exciting how this has given new life to this old system. I hope I can hold out for mainstream 8 cores or HEDT higher core counts now!

Thanks so much for this-- worked for me.

I just updated my system from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.2 via Unibeast + USB. It was a bit of a tricky process because I had to wrangle with an R9 290 (non-X), custom card (Gigabyte Windforce OC) plugged into a 4K monitor via DisplayPort. But in the end it worked out (with Lilu, Whatevergreen, AppleALC latest kexts in EFI in Other + Clover 3297 installed as legacy + DSDT), and I can boot into High Sierra finally!!! I haven't had a chance to test/bench yet, I was NEVER able to get Sierra to work on this system with this GPU, and even on El Cap I was unable to change anything in the Displays preference pane (like scaling or refresh rate 30 vs 60)-- but all that seems to be working now.

Next step is to test FCPX, Lightroom w/ GPU acceleration, and a few other required things.

Very exciting how this has given new life to this old system. I hope I can hold out for mainstream 8 cores or HEDT higher core counts now!

Can you put a step by step together for this, as I try and install and upon reboot I can no longer see my ssd drive only the original USB with Clover on it.

Hi All

Just wanted to see if anyone has a bit of advice.
I cannot seem to install high sierra on my Legacy Bios - High Sierra needs a disk formated in GUID otherwise you cannot install the OS, if i install with GUID, when I boot into clover via the usb, the disk in not displayed I can only select the external - install high sierra

Is there a way around this can high Sierra be installed without GUID on MBR?
I do not understand if GUID does not work with legacy bios why then does UNIbeast give a legacy boot option for it then?

Any advice would be appreciated

I wrote up a Guide for this MB: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-ga-x58a-ud3r-v2-10-13-3-high-sierra.244558/

Last edited:
It seems a number of people have figured this out, but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, as I feel I've followed all the advice here.

I'm running a GA-X58A-UD3R rev2 board (FH)--is that the difference? Are we discussing rev2?

I'm trying for legacy boot to HFS+. After the first reboot my install drive (whether HFS+ or APFS) fails to show within clover. I've copied both APFS.efi and HFSPLUS.efi to both drivers64 and drivers64uefi folders.

I've tried manually installing clover to the EFI of the Unibeast USB. I've tried that with Install boot0af in MBR.

This is probably the 3rd time I've taken a run creating a Hackintosh--and it always ends in tears. I run custom firmwares on nearly everything I own without issue. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back