Contribute
Register

High Sierra - GA-x58-ud3r (Legacy Bios)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I am experiencing the same issue as @Bellicus - the unibeast installer does not see either HFS or APFS on GUID partitioned drives which I have connected to both an X58 machine and an H61. As I am experiencing this on two legacy boards of different generations I must assume that there must be some workround for this somewhere.

OK I am experiencing the same issue as @Bellicus - the unibeast installer does not see either HFS or APFS on GUID partitioned drives which I have connected to both an X58 machine and an H61. As I am experiencing this on two legacy boards of different generations I must assume that there must be some workround for this somewhere.
Do you have apfs.efi file in Clover? This is a must have for the system to recognize APFS formatted drives.
Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 3.15.31 PM.png

yes I do - I posted in a separate thread as I am experiencing this issue on both and H61 and a X58.
The APFS drive was just a test and not really crucial to me installing at the moment. I am trying to install on a non-ssd drive.
Apparently there is a bug in High Sierra Disk Utility and it causes drives formatted using it to fail when installing.
@Obvious Answer Man told me I needed to format the drive in another OS or use diskutil to format the drive.

I just used diskutil on another HS machine to format the drive but the install failed in exactly the same way so am back where I started. The drive I just installed to just not show up in the clover screen after the first reboot.

yes I do - I posted in a separate thread as I am experiencing this issue on both and H61 and a X58.
The APFS drive was just a test and not really crucial to me installing at the moment. I am trying to install on a non-ssd drive.
Apparently there is a bug in High Sierra Disk Utility and it causes drives formatted using it to fail when installing.
@Obvious Answer Man told me I needed to format the drive in another OS or use diskutil to format the drive.

I just used diskutil on another HS machine to format the drive but the install failed in exactly the same way so am back where I started. The drive I just installed to just not show up in the clover screen after the first reboot.
Making sure I understand. You boot to Clover, select the install USB and hit enter. The installer runs and reboots back to Clover screen and all you see is the install USB?
When I do it, I see on first boot up only the USB. Say I select the USB icon and hit enter and it boots to the first install screen. I use the disk utility to format the drive HFS+ and label it High Sierra. I run the installer, selecting the High Sierra drive to install on. On reboot from first install I see the USB icon and an icon labeled "Install Mac OS High Sierra from High Sierra" - the USB installer has copied the install files to the HDD, so I select the HDD and hit enter. Installation screen comes up and says I have 23 minutes remaining and finishes the install. This time on reboot it comes up on the select language screen. From there it is same as ever.

Same thing happens with a SSD formatted APFS.

Making sure I understand. You boot to Clover, select the install USB and hit enter. The installer runs and reboots back to Clover screen and all you see is the install USB?
When I do it, I see on first boot up only the USB. Say I select the USB icon and hit enter and it boots to the first install screen. I use the disk utility to format the drive HFS+ and label it High Sierra. I run the installer, selecting the High Sierra drive to install on. On reboot from first install I see the USB icon and an icon labeled "Install Mac OS High Sierra from High Sierra" - the USB installer has copied the install files to the HDD, so I select the HDD and hit enter. Installation screen comes up and says I have 23 minutes remaining and finishes the install. This time on reboot it comes up on the select language screen. From there it is same as ever.

Same thing happens with a SSD formatted APFS.

@Going Bald unfortunately where you see see the USB icon and an icon labeled "Install Mac OS High Sierra from High Sierra" I see only the USB I do not have an additional icon.

I am going to leave it for a while just now as it is not urgent to get these two machines working - I have a research paper that needs some work just now - thank you very much for your time and attention

@Going Bald unfortunately where you see see the USB icon and an icon labeled "Install Mac OS High Sierra from High Sierra" I see only the USB I do not have an additional icon.

I am going to leave it for a while just now as it is not urgent to get these two machines working - I have a research paper that needs some work just now - thank you very much for your time and attention
In Clover config.plist is Scan Entries - > Legacy flag set to yes / true?

I have the same problem with the x58-ud3r after the first reboot after the install i only see the usb installer.

I tried the install with a apfs partition only when i do this i see the macOS disc on clover bootloader why is that?

But when i try to install clover the install end with an error.

I can boot High Sierra with apfs.efi in drivers64, similar config to GoingBald. However, with VESA graphics, the system crashes soon after the login screen is displayed or if I login. NVIDIA doesn't work at all. I think I had the latest web drivers, I suppose the only thing that would work for me right now is the console boot. But I'm stuck there. :thumbdown

Hi All

The issue here is to put the apfs.efi into the drivers64uefi folder, the drive are not detected if you place it in drivers64. it does not recognise the driver in that folder, when I place it in drivers64uefi it finds the partions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back