Contribute
Register

High Sierra feels "sluggish", compared to Sierra. Does it happen to you as well?

Is HIGH SIERRA known to be slower than SIERRA, while running on the same hardware?

• YES

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • NO

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello.

Being a hackingtosh lover i always try to challenge myself and test the new operative systems from Apple, after a couple of updates have been released.

I have been using Yosemite for ages and despite not having any major bugs, i had many little problems here and there, but it worked; i also tried El Capitan, but i preferred going back to Yosemite, because i wasn't experienced with clover (yet).

A couple of months ago, though, i switched to Sierra and it has been simply amazing! My most stable system yet; smooth as silk; fell in love with it and it served me well.
My passion for OSX, though, made me try out "High Sierra", intrigued by some of its new features under the hood, starting with the most recent 10.13.2 release.

I was a bit scared by the abundance of somehow failed installations i have seen on the forum, but i carried on.
In the end i got a good installation, surprisingly; no glitches, no errors, no bugs...
Perfect, if not for one thing.

It simply feels a bit more sluggish, if compared to SIERRA.
For example sometimes it hangs for 1/3rd of a second when changing folders or takes a bit more to open the same softwares i opened in Sierra.
My Sierra installations never showed this behaviour.
In general it feels like it chugs a bit more, despite showing the same results in Cinebench and Blackmagic Disk Speed test.

What i want to know is if the system itself is known to be sluggish or if i might have done something wrong (and how to fix that).
I used the new APFS format with trim disabled (it has to be noted i always had trim disabled, even on Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra).

Might the new patch to fix the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" have slowed down the system somehow?
The computer is still usable, but if the problem isn't resolved with the 10.13.3 update i might get back to Sierra.

What do you guys think?
Thanks.

I have the same exact issue and it is very annoying. Have you found out a solution?

Hello.

Being a hackingtosh lover i always try to challenge myself and test the new operative systems from Apple, after a couple of updates have been released.

I have been using Yosemite for ages and despite not having any major bugs, i had many little problems here and there, but it worked; i also tried El Capitan, but i preferred going back to Yosemite, because i wasn't experienced with clover (yet).

A couple of months ago, though, i switched to Sierra and it has been simply amazing! My most stable system yet; smooth as silk; fell in love with it and it served me well.
My passion for OSX, though, made me try out "High Sierra", intrigued by some of its new features under the hood, starting with the most recent 10.13.2 release.

I was a bit scared by the abundance of somehow failed installations i have seen on the forum, but i carried on.
In the end i got a good installation, surprisingly; no glitches, no errors, no bugs...
Perfect, if not for one thing.

It simply feels a bit more sluggish, if compared to SIERRA.
For example sometimes it hangs for 1/3rd of a second when changing folders or takes a bit more to open the same softwares i opened in Sierra.
My Sierra installations never showed this behaviour.
In general it feels like it chugs a bit more, despite showing the same results in Cinebench and Blackmagic Disk Speed test.

What i want to know is if the system itself is known to be sluggish or if i might have done something wrong (and how to fix that).
I used the new APFS format with trim disabled (it has to be noted i always had trim disabled, even on Yosemite, El Capitan and Sierra).

Might the new patch to fix the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" have slowed down the system somehow?
The computer is still usable, but if the problem isn't resolved with the 10.13.3 update i might get back to Sierra.

What do you guys think?
Thanks.
Were you able to find a solution to this? I have the same problem with High Sierra. No where near as zippy as Sierra. Everything takes a few seconds to catch up every once in a while. Let me know if you found anything out.

I have the same exact issue and it is very annoying. Have you found out a solution?

Were you able to find a solution to this? I have the same problem with High Sierra. No where near as zippy as Sierra. Everything takes a few seconds to catch up every once in a while. Let me know if you found anything out.

I backed up my APSF to an HSF hard drive and now it feels much more responsive.
In my case there were problems with the new apple system format, i guess.

Interesting. I might try to do the same thing. Did you find a guide or instructions somewhere about how to revert back to HFS from APSF? For what it's worth, my OS is on a Samsung 960 pro SSD. Not sure if that matters but i'm still searching for an answer about why this is so much slower than when i was on Sierra.

I have the same issue here, considering refresh my installation using HFS while install High Sierrra again if this issue persistences.

Just change my Mac definition to '14,2', and seems the hangs for 1/3rd of a second issue not happen anymore, I will keep monitoring it within next few days, and see if it really work!

I just moved back over to HFS for my OS - Samsung 950 PRO SSD and i can't tell any difference. Using High Sierra 10.13.2 and there are still hangs and a laggy UI that takes about 1/2 second to catch up on every click and action. I'm using 17,1 definition now, i'll try switching to 14,1 and see if that makes any difference.

Chrome is unbelievable slow.. tried turning off system hardware acceleration, no difference.

-UPDATE - switching to 14,1 makes zero difference to me. Actually, it might be a little slower. If i have 3-4 apps running, the machine is chugging along to keep up. Photos, intel power gadget, activity monitor and chrome are open and there's a delay in everything i try to do. Getting really annoying. I don't remember having this problem with Sierra and debating going back to 10.12.6

Last edited:
I feel really stupid.

My issues wasn't with APFS, or HFS or anything other that just the wrong scaling option in my Display system prefs. I downloaded SwithResX and set a custom resolution to 5120 x 2880 and this allowed me to scale my monitor to 2560 x 1440 HiDPI. This is what was generating the issues with Photos app not being able to display quickly.. the card was trying to compensate for a lot of scaling i guess? I don't really understand any of it, but it seem to be working great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back