i5-8300H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1050
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a perfectly working sierra 10.12.6 setup on my 3537. I've read through and gone with the steps mentioned in "Common problems in 10.13.x" thread, stopped VESA drivers from loading by injecting properties. Finally I've checked and updated kexts and clover patches.

To avoid APFS conversion, I use the terminal command for direct upgrade mentioned in RehabMan's "Avoid APFS conversion..." thread which reboots me into clover and gives an additional option to boot the installer. Once I boot from this option (using -v), the verbose screen shows a lot of lines starting with "com.apple.xpc.launchd[1].." with most of them ending with "Service exited with abnormal code". These lines take a lot of time of the booting.

Finally once the verbose screen gets over, I get stuck at the apple logo screen with an empty progress bar and an infinitely spinning beach ball stuck in a corner, not movable by mouse. This particular screen appears right after the verbose screen ends, making it harder to troubleshoot the issue.

The (first) attached picture shows the verbose screen state right before it changes to the stuck apple logo screen (second picture)

All problem reporting files have been attached.

Attachments

• 20180524_153542.jpg
    20180524_153542.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 181
  • 20180524_154044.jpg
    20180524_154044.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 170
  • Files.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 159
I have a perfectly working sierra 10.12.6 setup on my 3537. I've read through and gone with the steps mentioned in "Common problems in 10.13.x" thread, stopped VESA drivers from loading by injecting properties. Finally I've checked and updated kexts and clover patches.

To avoid APFS conversion, I use the terminal command for direct upgrade mentioned in RehabMan's "Avoid APFS conversion..." thread which reboots me into clover and gives an additional option to boot the installer. Once I boot from this option (using -v), the verbose screen shows a lot of lines starting with "com.apple.xpc.launchd[1].." with most of them ending with "Service exited with abnormal code". These lines take a lot of time of the booting.

Finally once the verbose screen gets over, I get stuck at the apple logo screen with an empty progress bar and an infinitely spinning beach ball stuck in a corner, not movable by mouse. This particular screen appears right after the verbose screen ends, making it harder to troubleshoot the issue.

The (first) attached picture shows the verbose screen state right before it changes to the stuck apple logo screen (second picture)

All problem reporting files have been attached.

See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

The files you attached in post #1 prove you did not.
I don't mean come off as rude, but I wouldn't lie about following the guide while troubleshooting a problem. :mrgreen: First off that guide is more tailored towards USB booting. I did follow through all clover patches, DSDT and SSDT edits, BIOS options anyway. I'm trying to upgrade existing 10.12 sierra installation to 10.13 using Upgrade app. Also, I did follow that guide for installing Sierra. Are you saying I have to re-install from scratch?

I've also followed the dual-GPU issue guide carefully.

Also, could you tell me where I'm going wrong or give me a more indicative pointer with what's wrong in those files? I've genuinely followed guides, but I might have missed something here and there.

Last edited:
I don't mean come off as rude, but I wouldn't lie about following the guide while troubleshooting a problem. :mrgreen: First off that guide is more tailored towards USB booting. I did follow through all clover patches, DSDT and SSDT edits, BIOS options anyway. I'm trying to upgrade existing 10.12 sierra installation to 10.13 using Upgrade app. Also, I did follow that guide for installing Sierra. Are you saying I have to re-install from scratch?

I've also followed the dual-GPU issue guide carefully.

Also, could you tell me where I'm going wrong or give me a more indicative pointer with what's wrong in those files? I've genuinely followed guides, but I might have missed something here and there.

Build a USB as per guide.
Use it to boot the 10.13 installer/upgrader.

You might also want to check that any kexts you have installed to your system volume are up-to-date, check that you're using correct techniques as per guide/FAQ, correct configuration of drivers64UEFI, and correct version of Clover, etc.

Build a USB as per guide.
Use it to boot the 10.13 installer/upgrader.

You might also want to check that any kexts you have installed to your system volume are up-to-date, check that you're using correct techniques as per guide/FAQ, correct configuration of drivers64UEFI, and correct version of Clover, etc.
Worked perfectly. Thanks! Also, is APFI "dangerous" to use? I went ahead with the conversion anyway. I'm yet to disable the TRIM patch in clover.

Worked perfectly. Thanks! Also, is APFI "dangerous" to use? I went ahead with the conversion anyway. I'm yet to disable the TRIM patch in clover.

I assume you're referring to APFS (no such thing as APFI)...

APFS tends to cause more problems than it solves..., especially with non-Apple SSDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back