Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> High Sierra: Delete false / wrong entries from the opencore bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

ono

Motherboard
MSI B250 PC MATE
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I installed on the desktop two operating systems, each on its own disk: High Sierra, on a hard disk, separately and Ubuntu 20.4, separately, on a s.s.d.
Each system has its own EFI partition. Opencore sees the EFI partition of Ubuntu as "NO NAME" and the EFI partition of MacOS as "Maria". At that time I was working with OC-0.5.9.
When I switched to OC-0.6.0, I wanted to increase the security of the system. In the first step I activated System Preferences>> FileVault. Then, in the second step, I set "Security and FileVault" from Post Install OpenCore.
As a result, system security was flawlessly installed, but at the cost of not being able to access Ubuntu. To fix this shortcoming, I determined the correct disk path for the EFI / Ubuntu partition and created a new entry for Ubuntu, in OC> Misc> Entries. I was successful, now I can boot Ubuntu as before.
But now I see, on the screen, at boot, three disks: "NO NAME", "Maria", "Ubuntu". Valid entries are only "Maria" and "Ubuntu".
If I want to access "NO NAME", I get an error message: "System BootOrder not found Could not read \EFI\: Invalid parameter. Error: could not find boot options: Invalid parameter. start_image() returned Invalid Parameter. OCB: Start Image failed - Invalid parameter".
Now I have updated to OC-0.6.3. but the problem persists. Because I receive this error and because I have successfully created a new Ubuntu entry, I want to delete the old entry, "NO NAME". But I don't know how to find it, neither with "UEFI Shell", nor with efibootmgr, from Ubuntu and so I don't know how to delete it.
So I come now with the great request, to help me solve this problem.
Specifications:
Motherboard: Asrock M61 VG-4
Processor: i3-3225
LAN: Realtek8111E
Video: GPU: NVIDIA GT 730 Keppler architecture
WiFi: TL-881 ND
Audio: ALC662.
I attached a picture from my boot desktop. Please Help!

Attachments

• Boot desktop.jpg
    Boot desktop.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 287

@P1LGRIM The "patient" is on opencore. @ono , make sure you only have an "ubuntu" folder as an entry in the EFI partition serving as the "grub boot loader" for Ubuntu, and nothing else. The Ubuntu screenshot refers. Ensure that the EFI partition for your macOS High Sierra only contains the opencore EFI folder, as per the picture Big Sur Screenshot of mine, and nothing else that Ubuntu's Grub boot loader may habe placed there as well.
Install "CrScreenshotDxe.efi" into your EFI-->OC-->Drivers folder, then during the boot process, after you have landed on the bootselection screen you can press F10 to deposit a snapshot of that screen into the opencore EFI folder, then you don't have to photograph that screen with a camera.

Greetings Henties

Attachments

• Big Sur Screenshot.png
    Big Sur Screenshot.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Boot selection screen.png
    Boot selection screen.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 596
  • Ubuntu Screenshot.png
    Ubuntu Screenshot.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 396
Install "CrScreenshotDxe.efi" into your EFI-->OC-->Drivers folder, then during the boot process, after you have landed on the bootselection screen you can press F10 to deposit a snapshot of that screen into the opencore EFI folder, then you don't have to photograph that screen with a camera.
Checked! I just did it, but no snapshot in EFI folder when pressing F10 key. What did I do wrong? I still see "No NAME" as first boot option.

@ono opencore probably does not know yet that a new driver has been added. I use "Proper Tree" to synchronise my config.plist file after I have made changes affecting the overall config.plist structure.

Make sure you only have 1 EFI folder in your system with the opencore bootloader installed.
Multiple instances of the bootloader can also cause "ghost entries"

The new CrScreenshotDxe.efi should be listed under the UEFI section of your config.plist as per the attached screenshot, AND it must have originated from the SAME opencore distribution that you sourced the other drivers from.

Regards Henties

Attachments

• UEFI Screenshot.png
    UEFI Screenshot.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
I use "Proper Tree" to synchronise my config.plist file after I have made changes affecting the overall config.plist structure.
I tried too, because I never did it again. But probably because I made a mistake somewhere, I managed to destroy the EFI folder. Using Cmd + Shift + R! More precisely, this way I got a modified and non-functional config.list file. It took a long time until I was able to reopen the High Sierra. Now I'm still evaluating how to fix the "destruction".
Now I want to understand why Proper Tree deleted all my "Arch" entries from the "Kexts" section and changed the order of my other entries. In addition, I found kexts, drivers, and probably .efi files in the Tools section that I shouldn't use.
I want to understand how Proper Tree works because I find it interesting and absolutely necessary, in order to get an very correct updated config.plist file, without suffering such a disaster.
At this point, I have to manage the crash solution for the EFI folder and I am working to get it exactly as it was originally. At the same time, however, I still want to delete the NO NAME entry.
That's why I need more help than ever and I'm grateful you do. Thank you!

@ono I hope you have a backup of you original EFI folder available somewhere so that you can at least restore your original, albeit flawed, service with it. Following that you would have to go through the excellent Dortania opencore setup guide particularly the sections pertaining to your hardware of your build.
I believe that somewhere you made a mistake in synching your config.plist file to the hardware and drivers you are using. From my end I cannot provide any detailed instruction in a more comprehensive way as is professionally covered in the Dortania guide. OpenShell.efi is the only file present in my tools section.
When synching with Proper Tree you have to ensure that focus is on the OC folder of your EFI partition that is being synched. Adding or removing files anywhere in your EFI folder always requires a resynch.

Sorry for that, wishing you luck with your endeavours.

Greetings Henties

I did the following:
1. Open EFI / config.plist with double-click; Config.plist is displayed in the Proper Tree window.
2. Navigate to the Proper Tree / File -> OC Clean Snapshot menu and select it.
3. Right-click on OC Clean Snapshot.
4. A Finder window opens with the Choose option.
5. I make sure I have selected the OC folder and right-click on the Choose button.
Then hell breaks loose: On reboot, I get the error: "OCST: Aboting corrupted config.plist file access."
That's how I proceed. It is wrong?

I remade the OC folder as it was before perfecting it (using Cmd + Shift + R). But I no longer have the courage to use Proper Tree, as long as I can't find instructions to protect myself from making various mistakes.
The parasitic entry "NO NAME" remains to appear.

SOLVED. Misc->Security->ScanPolicy must be set to hex="0x000F0103", or to number="983299".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back