Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula
CPU
Intel core i7-7700K
Graphics
2 x ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I am new here. Over the last couple of days i've converted from Linux (Ubuntu) to High Sierra on my main computer. This is my first attempt at trying out macOS on a non official mac computer. I have encountered some problems and done the installation more then once and read a lot of different guides. Finally I am now at a point where most of the functionality is working and I got all the programs i need. I had to set Google chrome and discord to run without hardware acceleration but, from what I have read this is usually the case with the current version of nvidia web drivers. SLI is not working, but if I understand correctly that's not supported either. That was the same in Linux aswell. But, at least i can use both GPU's to render in Blender etc.

Now to the problems I am having. The audio is working ok sometimes. But, when watching movies/series or listening to music suddenly the sound can start to get more and more fuzzy/distorted and fade away to the point where there's no sound. I then have to switch from one sound output source to another and then back again to get the sound back. Sometimes that's is enough and the problems are gone for awhile, other times I have to do a full restart of the computer to get the sound back. Also my microphone output level is really low. I basically have to put the mic really close to my mouth and talk loud to get any sound out of it and even then it's pretty low. Also when changing settings in System Preferences -> Sound all the output/input options disappears and sometimes the computer even freeze and i have to reboot.

So my guess is that I've picked the wrong sound drivers when installing High Sierra. I have a Asus Strix Raid DLX soundcard, and they only offer drivers for windows. I used MultiBeast after installing and picked the ALC1220A (ASUS ROG STRIX Only) as the driver, and then after having problems I also installed the ALC1220 drivers. Currently i probably have them both, as i don't really know how to uninstall them.

Motherboard chipset: Intel Z270
Motherboard Audio CODEC: S1220
Asus Strix Raid DLX Chipset: C-Media USB2.0 6632AX High-Definition Sound Processor

So any suggestions to how i can fix this audio/mic problem? What driver should i choose? Can I even use the Asus Strix Raid DLX soundcard or will I have to use the motherboard integrated soundcard?

As for the rest of the setup in MultiBeast i picked: Clover UEFI Boot Mode, Nvidia Graphics Fixup, Nvidia Web Drivers Boot Flag, Remove XHCI USB Port Limit, FakeSMC.

After that I installed the Nvidia Web Driver and CUDA. Then i proceeded with Lilu and Shiki, this i don't really know if i done correctly i just downloaded the kext and copied them to both EFI/CLOVER/kexts and 'High Sierra'/Library/Extensions as I did not know which of the folders to pick. Do i have to setup this anywhere to make use of them or is that done automatically?

I also installed the EmuVariableUefi64 driver from Clover Configurator and put CsrActiveConfig=0x67 under Rt Variables.

My computer setup

CPU: Intel core i7-7700K
CPU cooling fan: Noctua NH-U9P SE2
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula
RAM: 4 x Corsair Vengeance 8GB LPX DDR4 3000MHz
Video card: 2 x ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix
SLI Bridge: ASUS ROG SLI HB Bridge 3-Slot
Power supply: Corsair CX850M
Soundcard: ASUS STRIX RAID DLX
Hard drive: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" SSD
Secondary hard drives: 2 x Seagate barracuda 1TB
Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-ADG1X
Mouse: Logitech G903
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB
Monitor: BenQ 24" 3D LED XL2420T
Secondary Monitor: Philips 24" LED 243V5LHAB

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give as much information as possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back