Contribute
Register

High Sierra 10.3.4 update - does printf work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting same error does printf work?? I have MSI Z170A M7 6700K
Any solution for this?

@HatNet, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I've ran into the same issue although I'm typically able to boot after a second attempt; it never makes it to 10.13.4.

Initially I noticed that attempting to boot in safe mode/verbose would lead to a successful reboot.

I did try using OsxAptioFixDrv, but that left me in a state where nothing would boot at all; I couldn't get a shell no matter how hard I tried. To fix it I got a PCIe card for the nvme drive, put it in my eGPU case and used a mac laptop top to mount the EFI partition and reverted to OsxAptioFix2Drv... now I can boot again, but still working on getting the upgrade to work. Thought I would mention this stuff in case you get stuck in the same way I did.

I was finally able to boot into macOS. Here's how:

1. I was desperate and thought maybe because I had 2 drives with clover, there was some kind of collision. So I erased them both and tried to boot from USB installer. Didn't work.
2. I re-flashed my BIOS because I read that it was the only way to clear memory mapping that might interfere. Didn't work.
3. Finally, I messed with a couple of boot args. Apparently, it was a combination of dart=0 slide=0 -v nv_disable=1 and choosing to inject kexts that did the trick.
4. I was able to load the installer. I then restored from Time Machine.

All this while I was using OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi + I didn't have APFS.efi on the USB installer.

Hope this will help someone.

Thank you to everyone who helped!

glad you made it! did you manage to update as well?
in my case i updated to 10.13.4 and the next day i remembered to update the apfs.efi. so i still do not understand what caused all this mess.
As a side note, everybody suggests Carboncopy or super duper, but Timemachine does a great job as well.
also it is always good to have a working copy of your EFI partition in a USB before updating so you can use it in such cases.

I kept getting does printf work?? error as soon as I enabled thunderbolt 3 card and using
AptioMemoryFix.efi.i fixed by enabling Above 4G Decoding in Bios Boot Menu.might be worth a try for others with same prob

glad you made it! did you manage to update as well?
in my case i updated to 10.13.4 and the next day i remembered to update the apfs.efi. so i still do not understand what caused all this mess.
As a side note, everybody suggests Carboncopy or super duper, but Timemachine does a great job as well.
also it is always good to have a working copy of your EFI partition in a USB before updating so you can use it in such cases.
Update went smoothly, which only deepens the confusion.
It looks like it wasn't injecting the kexts and by forcing it from the clover menu, it worked.
I'm now using the same setup I was using before, which wouldn't boot. So strange.

Yes i know... Hackintosh keeps you on your toes all the time. thats the downside.
2 hours ago i lost keyboard (had to unplug and plug again). never happened the last year ...
Before i get into this world (hackintosh) i though computers were just maths repeating themselves based on comands. but for 2 years now i believe that good and evil fights inside them .... :p
i wish somebody could explain that before somebody else start a religion :lol:

But in my opinion macOS deserves all the trouble and even some.

anyways glad it worked out for you - you earned your iMac Pro wallpaper with your sweat!!, always keep backups and a working EFI in a USB stick.
i am far from expert and i couldn't be of help this time, but i have many many hours of X79 tweaking on my back so ... anytime i ll be glad to try and help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back