Contribute
Register

High Sierra 10.3.4 update - does printf work??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Hero X AC WiFi
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
Sapphire NITRO+ RX VEGA64 8G HBM2
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Had a perfectly working 10.3.3 system.
Updated via App Store.
Before rebooting, I updated the APFS.efi file in clover.
I don't know what could have happened, but now I can't boot to any macOS system.
I have one nvme 960 evo and one 840 evo both with different versions of macOS. None will boot. Also, used my macbook air to install Unibeast with 10.3.4. That won't boot either.
They all fail with some kind of OsxAptioFix error.
Mostly: "does printf work??" and "Couldn't allocate runtime area"

Tried searching the web for a solution, mostly I found threads about El-Cap. Tried a few solutions, swapped OsxAptioFix versions, disabled USB 3, loaded optimized BIOS defaults, tried various boot args.
Nothing works.

Plus, I'm really screwed because both drives are APFS and I can't access them from anywhere to try and reverse anything that happened.

Been at this for hours now. Starting to get desperate...
Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_4823.JPG
    IMG_4823.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
...better continue this here :)

Yes :)

Each drive is independent with its own clover.
I tried unplugging the other drive and boot only with the NVME I wanted to update.
Same deal.
Tried the other way, unplugging the NVME and booting the other (supposedly untouched) drive.
Same deal.

Unplugged the computer for 30 min. Tried again.
Same deal.

if you only changed epfs to one clover then it has to be something with the bios settings... since you said you start changing things.

have you checked this thread?

EDIT: hmm this is new now..

EDIT 2: have you tried booting without -v?
tried any other boot args?

When booting without -v I get a No Entry Sign.

I tried slide=0, cpus=1, busratio=32.
Tried safe mode, not injecting kexts etc.
This really is weird.

If only I could somehow get access to the drive, I'd replace the APFS.efi...

I know this situation, it starts bad, then changing things and finally lose track in a maze of changes and tries. i suspect the apfs isnt the case any more though, but better rule that out first

last time i was stuck in clover after updating, i booted from system restore, used TimeMachine and restored to previous version.
on the other hand if you manage to boot with the second macOS or a unibeast USB, the EFI partition should be readable i think.

what version is your other macOS?

EDIT: Whatever you do before you try anything new pull the plug for few seconds!!

I attached my previously working EFI folder. This used to boot up like a charm.
Your hardware is not appropriate for the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS.
See if this config.plist makes any difference :

Edit : You should probably delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext as it is at odds with your efforts at power management.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Your hardware is not appropriate for the MacPro5,1 SMBIOS.
See if this config.plist makes any difference :

Edit : You should probably delete NullCPUPowerManagement.kext as it is at odds with your efforts at power management.

Thanks for joining Sir!

I tried the config.plist. Same "does printf work??"

I keep NullCPUPowerManagement.kext because it's necessary for the x79 platform to have working power management (As far as I know). I could boot without it (before this current saga began), but the cpu would run 10-20 C's hotter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back