Register

High Sierra 10.13.6 workstation parts check

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series
Hi. I've being using Hackintosh systems for years now, however this is the first time I'm trying to build one myself.

I'd' like to double check the list of parts I'm getting for my new system so I can confidently buy them without having issues later on when I set it up. I'm currently using High Sierra 10.13 so I don't mind not being able to upgrade to Mojave (for now).

Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA 1151 ATX
Graphics Card
: ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Storage: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD. Samsung 512GB 970 PRO NVMe M.2
Memory: Ballistix 64GB Sport DDR4 2400 MHz UDIMM Ballistix 32GB Sport AT DDR4 3200 MHz UDIMM

Are this parts compatible and perhaps more importantly easy to set up for a rookie like me?

Last edited:
EVO Plus? I don't think they work, have a quick read on the forum to double check.

EVO Plus? I don't think they work, have a quick read on the forum to double check.
You are right, EVO Plus instabilities are reported all over the forum. Switching now to Samsung 512GB 970 PRO NVMe M.2. Thank you!

I have Mojave & High sierra on my Z390/i5 9600k system, High Sierra was very easy to install, Mojave caused a few issues. Obviously, if you want to run your Nvidia card, don't go for Mojave. If you look at the "Golden Builds" section of the forum, you'll find Z390 build with BIOS settings that will help.

Good luck with it.

Thank you @jds828. I found very helpful information at the "Golden Builds" section, specially the BIOS settings and the configurations guides.

However I couldn't find any NVidia powered GPUs within the builds there. I guess I'm going to have to trust the other threads at the forum that say that they work fine. I'm kind of forced to go with NVidia because I want my system to be compatible with 3D GPU render engines like Octane, RedShift and the new Arnold GPU, that only work with Cuda compatible Cores.

The BIOS settings are pretty much the same for both. Most of the builds are Mojave so no Nvidia support. On mine, I installed High Sierra clean with minimal drivers in multibeast and immediately updated to the latest. About 3 reboots later and selecting the new install partition that will show up. The update partition will be called "install High Sierra from ??? (???=The name of your HDD) Don't leave your install USB in as it just confuses things. After the install is done, go into about this mac and click on the OS number and it shows the build number, just download the web drivers for that build and install them. Your GPU should be good to go then.

I'm still fairly new to all this so as usual, double check the above. I'm just passing on info gathered from other forum posts. If you're on later I will boot into High sierra and should be able to explain in more detail if you need it.

Forum searches that helped me were

Update loop on High Sierra update
Nvidia Web drivers for High Sierra

They were the only two issues I had with my install.

Thank you @jds828 As soon as I run into problems I'll look for help around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back