CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there, first of all thank you for this excellent resource! And second - sorry for my English.
While I'm waiting for my hardware to arrive, I would like to clarify some moments.
The hardware is:
Mobo:
Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5
CPU:
i7-8700k
Graphics:
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC
Other Hardware:
Ballistix Sport LT White 2x16Gb 2600
Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 500Gb
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb

And the questions are:
1) Is multiboot guide still fresh as of today and compatible with "Installation Guide" and my hardware? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/
2) Should I use it, or Windows can be installed using bootcamp (to be able to use it through multiboot along with Parallels)?
3) Is Parallels compatible with hackintosh builds? What fears me is that in "Installation Guide" there's a recommendation to disable VT-d in BIOS (which is crucial for Parallels, I guess)?
4) I've read some info on Parallels and it looks like if you attach more than 1 core in 4-core CPUs to Parallels then performance will degrade at least in host system (macOS) or even in both. Is it still true since i7 Coffee Lake has 6 cores?
5) Can I run Windows in Parallels using only iGPU (UHD 630 with "Longer battery life" option I guess) while using 1080 Ti for machine learning on macOS? And should I connect 2nd monitor (which will contain only Windows desktop by dragging Parallels window) to the VGA or to the motherboard? Will this scheme work for 1 monitor?

The using scheme is: programming in XCode, working with Sketch, perform machine learning using cuDNN on macOS while having GPU-non extensive game clients in Parallels Windows (Lineage 2), probably with 2 monitors, maybe 1.

Any help and info would be highly appreciated as this is my first Desktop Hackintosh and really want to this using scheme to work smoothly. Thanks in advance!

Nobody's using Parallels on hackintosh?

I use parallels and don’t have any problems. Not sure if I have VT-d disabled. I often run 3-4 VMs and don’t notice any performance issues.

There’s lots of information on dual boot here. In short, you use clovers to boot windows or macOS. Installed windows one a dedicated harddrive.

Sorry for weird answer. I managed to post reply a little too early.

For multiboot, I keep windows and macOS on separate drives. Before installing Windows, I disconnected all other drives (just to be sure I didn’t mess up anything) and installed Windows in UEFI mode. Then I did the same for macOS.

For gfx you’re should disable the integrated gfx in bios and stick with Nvidia. Connect both monitors to that card.

Also, look for builds similar to yours and make sure you know the bios settings to use.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Sorry for weird answer. I managed to post reply a little too early.

For multiboot, I keep windows android macOS on separate drives. Before installing Windows, I disconnected all other drives (justified to be surely I didn’t mess up anything) and installed Windows in UEFI mode. Then I did the same form macOS.

For gfx you’re should disable the integrated gfx in bios and stick with Nvidia. Connect both monitors to that card.

Also, look for builds similar to yours and make sure you know the bios settings to use.

I hope this helps!
Thank you very much! I have few more questions, if you don't mind:
1) Is your Parallels Windows hooked to dual boot installed windows? Or is it another instance only for Parallels? Is it event possible to have windows hooked to Parallels like with Bootcamp?
2) "There’s lots of information on dual boot here. In short, you use clovers to boot windows or macOS. Installed windows one a dedicated harddrive." I have only one ssd as for now and gonna separate it, I've read some threads here, including dual boot guide for the same drive, and could't clarify is it possible to have same ssd drive dualboot with APFS and NTFS separate partitions, because the guide was for HDD. HFS+ and NTFS should work together on the same physical drive on separated partitions I guess.
3) "For gfx you’re should disable the integrated gfx in bios and stick with Nvidia. Connect both monitors to that card." - but wouldn't it cause for Parallels Windows to use GF GTX too? The reason behind my idea was to completely free GF GTX resources for computing tasks and let iGPU do the work for Parallels Windows.

Thank you again!

1: Another instance only for Parallels. I don’t know anything more here.

2: Im not very familiar with that setup (using APFS). Sorry but I cannot give you a good answer.

3: Yes it will. With a decent gfx card I don’t think it will be any performance issues?

In general, if you have a simple / less complex setup (both hw and sw configuration), you will experience less bugs and weirdness. I might have been very unlucky, but I had to learn that the hard way.

Last edited:
Hi there, first of all thank you for this excellent resource! And second - sorry for my English.
While I'm waiting for my hardware to arrive, I would like to clarify some moments.
The hardware is:
Mobo:
Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5
CPU:
i7-8700k
Graphics:
Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC
Other Hardware:
Ballistix Sport LT White 2x16Gb 2600
Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 500Gb
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb

And the questions are:
1) Is multiboot guide still fresh as of today and compatible with "Installation Guide" and my hardware? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi.197352/
2) Should I use it, or Windows can be installed using bootcamp (to be able to use it through multiboot along with Parallels)?
3) Is Parallels compatible with hackintosh builds? What fears me is that in "Installation Guide" there's a recommendation to disable VT-d in BIOS (which is crucial for Parallels, I guess)?
4) I've read some info on Parallels and it looks like if you attach more than 1 core in 4-core CPUs to Parallels then performance will degrade at least in host system (macOS) or even in both. Is it still true since i7 Coffee Lake has 6 cores?
5) Can I run Windows in Parallels using only iGPU (UHD 630 with "Longer battery life" option I guess) while using 1080 Ti for machine learning on macOS? And should I connect 2nd monitor (which will contain only Windows desktop by dragging Parallels window) to the VGA or to the motherboard? Will this scheme work for 1 monitor?

The using scheme is: programming in XCode, working with Sketch, perform machine learning using cuDNN on macOS while having GPU-non extensive game clients in Parallels Windows (Lineage 2), probably with 2 monitors, maybe 1.

Any help and info would be highly appreciated as this is my first Desktop Hackintosh and really want to this using scheme to work smoothly. Thanks in advance!

1. The guide should be fine.
  2. Use the guide. It's just installing Windows. Just because you also have macOS installed doesn't change the way you install Windows.
  3. VT-d is for Direct I/O when using virtualization. This gives your virtual environment direct I/O access for things like your video card. Disabling it doesn't mean you are disabling virtualization. Real Macs have this disabled too.
  4. It depends. If your virtual machine is running something very intensive, it can affect the whole machine.
  5. No. It doesn't give that level of control.
Btw, my personal opinion is that VMware Fusion is better than Parallels.

have also problem, How i can fix it?

hardware:
- CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K
- Mobo: ASUS PRIME Z370-A

- in "About this Mac"
Processor: Unknown
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 05.45.02.png

- in "About this Mac" -> "System Report ...."
Looks okay, 6-core CPU
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 05.45.10.png

in Parallels:
- error "Virtualization support is disabled on your Mac"
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 06.42.32.png

in VirtualBox possible select 32-bit OS only, can't select 64-bit OS
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 06.09.55.png

Last edited:
Just a tip, not sure if it's strictly related but I just drove myself crazy trying to fix this: I think 3rd party NTFS drivers prevent VMWare/Parallels from seeing Windows drives as "Boot Camp" drives, so if you're having troubles getting them to recognise what is in front of their eyes, disable the NTFS driver (likely in System Preferences) first and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back