Contribute
Register

High Sierra 10.13.1 Update Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
My video card's been a pain since day 1...it breaks the CPU every upgrade! I need to get my CPU working to do some work and if you think that suggested card will make my life easier moving forward, I'll definitely pick one up. I was thinking about switching to a card that would be more compatible. Thanks!

My video card's been a pain since day 1...it breaks the CPU every upgrade! I need to get my CPU working to do some work and if you think that suggested card will make my life easier moving forward, I'll definitely pick one up. I was thinking about switching to a card that would be more compatible. Thanks!

Thank you for providing all info . I just wanted to make sure intel HD did not cost you the last few feet of your marathon.

From the very beginning I suspected your Graphics card is the weakest link in the hardware that might stop you from creating HS. Since I have never had it, I was not 100% sure. You never mentioned the problem you had in the other versions with it. I'd searched to see any success stories with it in HS and found none.

But any way every inconvenience is an adventure . You had your own trial by fire! You must be ready for the next HS install.:)

For sure. It was a bit of a pain and I wish i understood the nuts and bolts of the process but i'm definitely learning.

I sincerely appreciate all your help and look forward to giving High Sierra a shot after i receive the new Radeon card.

Thanks again!

For sure. It was a bit of a pain and I wish i understood the nuts and bolts of the process but i'm definitely learning.

I sincerely appreciate all your help and look forward to giving High Sierra a shot after i receive the new Radeon card.

Thanks again!
Some tips for this difficult installation to make it less painful:
  • Use a Good Flash Drive with good LED light to give us visual clue of File transfers during installation using High Sierra USB Installer.
  • Good to have a Computer case with a bright HDD LED to indicate file transfers; it lessens our anxiety watching no progression of text or progress-bar on Verbose boot Monitor screen!
  • Unibeast 8.1 should be good to use to create the USB Installer Flash Disk [ My preference Kootion 16GB or Lexar 16 GB. Both have good LED lights.]
  • ALWAYS better to disconnect all other Hard disks and any unnecessary USB devices during installation .
  • Make the BIOS setup choices correctly [See images for help . I am using UEFI boot and Radeon 5450 2GB as PCIE card]
  • I will take images from CBM screen of boot device icons, Boot Args: , and all the sub menus. [See images]
  • I take verbose boot screen images [see uploads for land mark images of normal boot]
  • My system hard disk installation was in HFS+J Format NOT APFS in this MOBO/CPU/GFx
  • I had the notorious "missing hard disk" in "Disk Utilty screen" at the Pre-installation step for the USB Installer after choosing Language. [see images]
    • There was no response to clicking View>Show all disks > my Seagate 500GB SATA HDD was still missing in action! [See image]
  • I escaped DU and clicked Utility>Terminal to run commands to locate the disk and then Partition and Format that HDD in GUID (=GPT) Partition Scheme and HFS+J [ MacOS Extended (Journaled) ] Filesystem :
    • To show all the disks in the system I ran
      • diskutil list
    • From the Command output I could easily see my Seagate 500GB as the first in the list
    • The last column of the output list shows IDENTIFIER
    • Under that see the disk's ID in my case it was disk0 [Zero]
    • It is Important to note the Disk Identifier number; we will need it in Partition and Format command.
    • For my disk0 I used the following command
      • diskutil partitionDisk disk0 1 GPT HFS+ HighSierra R [ Please note after each part of the command there is a SINGLE SPACE. The commands are case sensitive. The command should be typed exactly as shown to avoid errors. the mix of lowercase and uppercase letter in "partitionDisk" is not an error, it is required. Note there is a space in front and behind 'partitionDisk" and commands that follow ]
      • The whole process will take a very short time to complete.
      • Once that is done , you can go to Installation screen to find "HighSierra" and HighSierra USB Installer
    • The first stage of installation is VERY VERY brief like 2 minutes it will reboot.
    • Make sure to press F-12 to select the UEFI USB Installer Disk [it may be named USB HDD]
    • In the CBM you will now see 2 disk icons. The installer and the system disk.
    • Boot the System disk making use of all the Clover "Options" of USB Installer disk (because System disk has no CLOVER yet and not even all the System files]
    • Second time it may show it is going for a 22 minute installation but will boot in 2-3 minutes!
    • Again Enter CBM screen through F-12 >USB >CBM >System Disk to boot
    • This time it will go first through text screen >Apple with progress bar>Black screen> off white screen> High Sierra Icon screen >22 minutes for real .
    • At the end reboots
    • Again F12> USB Installer>CBM screen > to see 3 icons Installer USB-System Disk_Recovery Disk.
    • Boot System Disk using the Clover Options from USB Installer
    • This time it will go through Verbose screen>Apple screen> Black Screen>White Screen> World Map screen.
    • Now I think it must be easy to complete Apple Registration etc and setting up Login credentials... and iCloud and reach Desktop Keyboard setup etc
    • Time to setup Security and Privacy to Allow Apps Download from: ()Anywhere will have a dot
      • Launch Terminal from Applications >Utilty and type the sudo command
      • sudo spctl --assess --master-disable [ENTER] Password: No output seen but you will find (.) Anywhere
    • If Time and Time Zone are incorrect>Correct them
    • Click Finder > Preferences [√] all boxes.
    • Click Apple>About This Mac> screen capture of Overview
    • About This Mac>System Report...> Hardware and screen capture Hardware Overview
    • All hardware devices like Audio/Ethernet cards/Graphics and Displays/etc Screen Capture
    • This helps to find out if kexts are needed to be installed. If no Ethernet or Wifi , you cannot go to Internet to download kexts or reach Tonymac Forum to post troubleshoot messages and images easily.
    • If you have pasted Multibeast 10.1 on your USB installer, copy it to desktop and run to install CLOVER/Kexts/Customization menus on the system disk. I copy and paste MBeast and CCV to my USB installer as needed tools
    • Do NOT eject USB installer yet.
    • Reboot and for the last time use the USB to enter CBM
    • Reboot System Disk and login with your password.
    • Recheck System Report for working kexts
    • Hopefully you should have at least network connection to reach Tonymac Forum
    • With the use of my uploaded images you should have a working system if you have same hardware.
    • Good luck.

Attachments

• 1.BIOSGA-H77DS3H BIOS-1.png
    1.BIOSGA-H77DS3H BIOS-1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • 2.BIOS_MIT:Advanced Memory Settings_XMO Profile 1.png
    2.BIOS_MIT:Advanced Memory Settings_XMO Profile 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
  • 3.BIOS_System_System Time.png
    3.BIOS_System_System Time.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 166
  • 4.BIOS_System_ATAc Port Info.png
    4.BIOS_System_ATAc Port Info.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
  • 5.BIOS Features_Boot Option Priorities.png
    5.BIOS Features_Boot Option Priorities.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 175
  • 6.BIOS Featuires-Enable_Disable.png
    6.BIOS Featuires-Enable_Disable.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 200
  • 7.BIOS_Periopherals_SATA-Audio_ and USB.png
    7.BIOS_Periopherals_SATA-Audio_ and USB.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 187
  • 8.BIOS_Periopherals_SuperI:O Chip_Serial Port A.png
    8.BIOS_Periopherals_SuperI:O Chip_Serial Port A.png
    705.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 9.BIOS_Save & Exit.png
    9.BIOS_Save & Exit.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
  • 10.F-12 Boot Selection.png
    10.F-12 Boot Selection.png
    859 KB · Views: 183
  • 11. High Sierra UEFI USB Installer in CBM screen.png
    11. High Sierra UEFI USB Installer in CBM screen.png
    824 KB · Views: 186
  • 12.CBM_Options_Boot Args.png
    12.CBM_Options_Boot Args.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 203
  • 13.Gui Tuning_Themes.png
    13.Gui Tuning_Themes.png
    1 MB · Views: 188
  • 14.ACPI_Tables Droping.png
    14.ACPI_Tables Droping.png
    799.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 15. ACPI_Drop OEM_DSM .png
    15. ACPI_Drop OEM_DSM .png
    1 MB · Views: 215
  • 16.ACPI_DSDT fix mask.png
    16.ACPI_DSDT fix mask.png
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 17.SMBIOS.png
    17.SMBIOS.png
    873.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 18.PCI Devices.png
    18.PCI Devices.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
  • 19.CPU Tuning.png
    19.CPU Tuning.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
  • 20.Graphics Injector.png
    20.Graphics Injector.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
  • 21.Audio Tuning.png
    21.Audio Tuning.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • 22.Binary Patching.png
    22.Binary Patching.png
    887 KB · Views: 212
  • 23.System Parameters.png
    23.System Parameters.png
    866.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 24.Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra .png
    24.Boot OS X Install from Install macOS High Sierra .png
    783.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 25.Normal OSXAptioFixDrv.png
    25.Normal OSXAptioFixDrv.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 26.Creating RAM disk _Normal boot .png
    26.Creating RAM disk _Normal boot .png
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
  • 27.Normal Verrbose Boo screen.png
    27.Normal Verrbose Boo screen.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 156
  • 28.Normal transition from Verbose to Apple logo boot screen with Progress bar.png
    28.Normal transition from Verbose to Apple logo boot screen with Progress bar.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 29.End of Apple Logo and Progressbar boot screen.png
    29.End of Apple Logo and Progressbar boot screen.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 30.Apple Boot scren with ending Progressbar.png
    30.Apple Boot scren with ending Progressbar.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 31.Disk Utility Install screen.png
    31.Disk Utility Install screen.png
    983 KB · Views: 183
  • 32.Hard Disk Missing in Disk Utility.png
    32.Hard Disk Missing in Disk Utility.png
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 33.Show All Devices _Failed to display Hard Disk.png
    33.Show All Devices _Failed to display Hard Disk.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
  • 34.Exit DU and Click Utility .png
    34.Exit DU and Click Utility .png
    210.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 35.Utility_Terminal.png
    35.Utility_Terminal.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • 36.diskutil klist Terminal cmd output.png
    36.diskutil klist Terminal cmd output.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • 36B.Post Installation Reboot in F12 screen.png
    36B.Post Installation Reboot in F12 screen.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 37.Post Install Boot from CBM.png
    37.Post Install Boot from CBM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • 38.Normal boot.png
    38.Normal boot.png
    408.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 39.Verbose Boot OK.png
    39.Verbose Boot OK.png
    2 MB · Views: 160
  • 40 Verbose boot OK .png
    40 Verbose boot OK .png
    2.4 MB · Views: 161
  • 41.Verbose boot OK for System Disk.png
    41.Verbose boot OK for System Disk.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
  • 42.Verbose boot OK for System Disk.png
    42.Verbose boot OK for System Disk.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 43.System disk booted from Verbose to Apple screen OK.png
    43.System disk booted from Verbose to Apple screen OK.png
    533 KB · Views: 159
  • 44.Dark Screen OK.png
    44.Dark Screen OK.png
    661.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 45.Registration screen.png
    45.Registration screen.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
  • 46.Keyboard screen.png
    46.Keyboard screen.png
    737.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 47.WiFi login.png
    47.WiFi login.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 139
  • 48. Billion color Problem for Radeon Video.png
    48. Billion color Problem for Radeon Video.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
  • 49.Apple Sign in.png
    49.Apple Sign in.png
    899.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 50.Apple License.png
    50.Apple License.png
    2 MB · Views: 160
  • 51.iCloud sign in.png
    51.iCloud sign in.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • 52.Setting up Mac.png
    52.Setting up Mac.png
    2 MB · Views: 159
  • 53.Billions of Color Display problem.png
    53.Billions of Color Display problem.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
  • 54.Billions of Colors Display problem.png
    54.Billions of Colors Display problem.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 158
  • 55.Overview.png
    55.Overview.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 57.Audio.png
    57.Audio.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 56.Hardware Overview.png
    56.Hardware Overview.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 169
  • 58.WebCam.png
    58.WebCam.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 59Disc Burner.png
    59Disc Burner.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 60-Ethernet card.png
    60-Ethernet card.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 61.Graphics and Displays.png
    61.Graphics and Displays.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 62.Memory.png
    62.Memory.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 63.PSU.png
    63.PSU.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 64.lStorage.png
    64.lStorage.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 65.USB.png
    65.USB.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 66.WiFi.png
    66.WiFi.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 67.SwitchResX Set Millions of Colors .png
    67.SwitchResX Set Millions of Colors .png
    3 MB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I have the gtGTXx 980 Ti and I can not boot with UniBeast, any ideas?

@cmn699:

Hi, i got a Hd 5450 too, nice card for me (making music), i don't need more power and it has no fan. I was having a lot of fun with Clover and Yosemite, no need for graphic-kext-injection the first time, thanks clover!
But now it looks different...
Because i forget soon about the hack-stuff when my system works, i´m out of actual knowledge now, but i really need to update because my music-software (Pro Tools) doesn´t like 10.10.5 since the last update, bad laggy graphics.
i tried to find a solution (Clover-Configurator and SMBIOS imac 18,2) but that gave me this message at boot screen: "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-77F1*.
I was lucky, because i made a backup of 10.10.5 on another hard drive with ccc and a copy of config.plist with clover-configurator as config1.plist. With help of the boot flag "-no_compat_check" the 10.13 installation just gave me a black screen, but i could boot into my backup, pooh!
Any help would be great, thanks in advance, Marcus
(send from my backup ;) )

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 255
  • config1.plist
    4.3 KB · Views: 289
  • DSDT.aml
    16.1 KB · Views: 120
  • FakeSMC.kext.zip
    39.8 KB · Views: 69
  • RealtekRTL8111.kext.zip
    87.3 KB · Views: 65
@cmn699:

Hi, i got a Hd 5450 too, nice card for me (making music), i don't need more power and it has no fan. I was having a lot of fun with Clover and Yosemite, no need for graphic-kext-injection the first time, thanks clover!
But now it looks different...
Because i forget soon about the hack-stuff when my system works, i´m out of actual knowledge now, but i really need to update because my music-software (Pro Tools) doesn´t like 10.10.5 since the last update, bad laggy graphics.
i tried to find a solution (Clover-Configurator and SMBIOS imac 18,2) but that gave me this message at boot screen: "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform! Reason: Mac-77F1*.
I was lucky, because i made a backup of 10.10.5 on another hard drive with ccc and a copy of config.plist with clover-configurator as config1.plist. With help of the boot flag "-no_compat_check" the 10.13 installation just gave me a black screen, but i could boot into my backup, pooh!
Any help would be great, thanks in advance, Marcus
(send from my backup ;) )

I would be happy to help.
But looking at your MoBo and CPU, I have some concerns. I have not verified them though.
Please verify if your Processor, Intel Q9650, can support MacOS High Sierra ( or even Sierra) by checking if it has SSE4 Multimedia Instruction set before proceeding with upgrade.

@cmn699:

i checked my CPU and it can handle SSE4.1, yeah! I also googled "GA EP35 DS3" and "High Sierra", there was at least posted one success. I think one problem is a wrong SMBIOS with a wrong product name (iMac18,2), the other missing DSDT-Hacks for HD 5450. I´ll try a lower number later. BTW: Is it possible to change the product name at boot?
Any help is appreciated!

@cmn699:

i checked my CPU and it can handle SSE4.1, yeah! I also googled "GA EP35 DS3" and "High Sierra", there was at least posted one success. I think one problem is a wrong SMBIOS with a wrong product name (iMac18,2), the other missing DSDT-Hacks for HD 5450. I´ll try a lower number later. BTW: Is it possible to change the product name at boot?
Any help is appreciated!
Is it possible to change the product name at boot?

• If you are sure about your Processor as shown by Intel's own documentation, please proceed as follows:
  • For SMBIOS temporary editing for that boot:
  • In CBM screen go to "Options>SMBIOS> Product Name:iMac18,2 -> backspace to clear the one there and retype what you want>ENTER scroll down and Esc to CBM screen to boot.

• For Radeon 5450 Temporary editing for that boot try this:
    • CBM screen >Options> Graphics Injector-> ENTER
    • [√]InjectATI [ENTER] scroll down to the next edit
    • FakeID:68E01002 [ENTER] Scroll down to next edit
    • FBConfig:Eulemur [ENTER] Scroll down and Esc to CBM screen to boot
Hope this helps.​

Hi-

Your help fixed me up in the fall upgrading to High Sierra and swapping to a Radeon 5450 PCIE 2GB card.

I ended up doing an upgrade (rather than a fresh install to High Sierra) and have run into small - and definitely surmountable - bumps.

1) The video card is still loading NVIDA drivers so the screen is flashes a bit and has poor resolution.

2) I have no sound despite the sound icon appearing in the top and i think everything correct in settings.

I've attached my config.plist

Hopefully you can take a quick look and let me know if i have some settings off?

Thank you!

Some tips for this difficult installation to make it less painful:
  • Use a Good Flash Drive with good LED light to give us visual clue of File transfers during installation using High Sierra USB Installer.
  • Good to have a Computer case with a bright HDD LED to indicate file transfers; it lessens our anxiety watching no progression of text or progress-bar on Verbose boot Monitor screen!
  • Unibeast 8.1 should be good to use to create the USB Installer Flash Disk [ My preference Kootion 16GB or Lexar 16 GB. Both have good LED lights.]
  • ALWAYS better to disconnect all other Hard disks and any unnecessary USB devices during installation .
  • Make the BIOS setup choices correctly [See images for help . I am using UEFI boot and Radeon 5450 2GB as PCIE card]
  • I will take images from CBM screen of boot device icons, Boot Args: , and all the sub menus. [See images]
  • I take verbose boot screen images [see uploads for land mark images of normal boot]
  • My system hard disk installation was in HFS+J Format NOT APFS in this MOBO/CPU/GFx
  • I had the notorious "missing hard disk" in "Disk Utilty screen" at the Pre-installation step for the USB Installer after choosing Language. [see images]
    • There was no response to clicking View>Show all disks > my Seagate 500GB SATA HDD was still missing in action! [See image]
  • I escaped DU and clicked Utility>Terminal to run commands to locate the disk and then Partition and Format that HDD in GUID (=GPT) Partition Scheme and HFS+J [ MacOS Extended (Journaled) ] Filesystem :
    • To show all the disks in the system I ran
      • diskutil list
    • From the Command output I could easily see my Seagate 500GB as the first in the list
    • The last column of the output list shows IDENTIFIER
    • Under that see the disk's ID in my case it was disk0 [Zero]
    • It is Important to note the Disk Identifier number; we will need it in Partition and Format command.
    • For my disk0 I used the following command
      • diskutil partitionDisk disk0 1 GPT HFS+ HighSierra R [ Please note after each part of the command there is a SINGLE SPACE. The commands are case sensitive. The command should be typed exactly as shown to avoid errors. the mix of lowercase and uppercase letter in "partitionDisk" is not an error, it is required. Note there is a space in front and behind 'partitionDisk" and commands that follow ]
      • The whole process will take a very short time to complete.
      • Once that is done , you can go to Installation screen to find "HighSierra" and HighSierra USB Installer
    • The first stage of installation is VERY VERY brief like 2 minutes it will reboot.
    • Make sure to press F-12 to select the UEFI USB Installer Disk [it may be named USB HDD]
    • In the CBM you will now see 2 disk icons. The installer and the system disk.
    • Boot the System disk making use of all the Clover "Options" of USB Installer disk (because System disk has no CLOVER yet and not even all the System files]
    • Second time it may show it is going for a 22 minute installation but will boot in 2-3 minutes!
    • Again Enter CBM screen through F-12 >USB >CBM >System Disk to boot
    • This time it will go first through text screen >Apple with progress bar>Black screen> off white screen> High Sierra Icon screen >22 minutes for real .
    • At the end reboots
    • Again F12> USB Installer>CBM screen > to see 3 icons Installer USB-System Disk_Recovery Disk.
    • Boot System Disk using the Clover Options from USB Installer
    • This time it will go through Verbose screen>Apple screen> Black Screen>White Screen> World Map screen.
    • Now I think it must be easy to complete Apple Registration etc and setting up Login credentials... and iCloud and reach Desktop Keyboard setup etc
    • Time to setup Security and Privacy to Allow Apps Download from: ()Anywhere will have a dot
      • Launch Terminal from Applications >Utilty and type the sudo command
      • sudo spctl --assess --master-disable [ENTER] Password: No output seen but you will find (.) Anywhere
    • If Time and Time Zone are incorrect>Correct them
    • Click Finder > Preferences [√] all boxes.
    • Click Apple>About This Mac> screen capture of Overview
    • About This Mac>System Report...> Hardware and screen capture Hardware Overview
    • All hardware devices like Audio/Ethernet cards/Graphics and Displays/etc Screen Capture
    • This helps to find out if kexts are needed to be installed. If no Ethernet or Wifi , you cannot go to Internet to download kexts or reach Tonymac Forum to post troubleshoot messages and images easily.
    • If you have pasted Multibeast 10.1 on your USB installer, copy it to desktop and run to install CLOVER/Kexts/Customization menus on the system disk. I copy and paste MBeast and CCV to my USB installer as needed tools
    • Do NOT eject USB installer yet.
    • Reboot and for the last time use the USB to enter CBM
    • Reboot System Disk and login with your password.
    • Recheck System Report for working kexts
    • Hopefully you should have at least network connection to reach Tonymac Forum
    • With the use of my uploaded images you should have a working system if you have same hardware.
    • Good luck.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.2 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back