Register

High-End Ivy Bridge Z77 Motherboards Will Have Intel Thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Apparently, Intel Thunderbolt support will be present on high-end Z77 motherboards from the usual suspects (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, eVGA and so on). I was just wondering how likely it would be to get this support in OS X Lion 10.7.3 on such a Thunderbolt capable motherboard? These motherboards should be available in early April.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It is already in Lion.

Gordo74 said:
Simple answer: We wont know until we have them in our hands. We dont know if they are using the same chip as Apple, we don't know how it's interfacing with the board, we just don't know.

Yeah,....

I guess we will know soon though. Early April isnt that far away.
kiyyto said:
I don't see why it wouldn't work. It is already in Lion.

My concern is also whether or not the Z77 chipset works well with OS X given Apple hasn’t started using it in release hardware. If I were to guess I would think Mountain Lion has support for the Z77 chipset and HD 4000 graphics but DP isn’t really something to get into at this point.

Octavean said:
Apparently, Intel Thunderbolt support will be present on high-end Z77 motherboards from the usual suspects (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, eVGA and so on). I was just wondering how likely it would be to get this support in OS X Lion 10.7.3 on such a Thunderbolt capable motherboard? These motherboards should be available in early April.

I just observed that Gigabyte has posted a number of Z77 motherboards on its website.

From what I can see, at this point none of the Gigabyte Z77 motherboards offered have Thunderbolt. There may be others coming, but at this point I do not have high hopes of Gigabyte offering Thunderbolt on any of their Ivy Bridge motherboards.

One other thing, it seems that Gigabyte has decided to do away with Realtek Audio and Realtek LAN on these motherboards. Instead, Atheros LAN and VIA Audio are used.

Jamesbond007 said:
Octavean said:

I just observed that Gigabyte has posted a number of Z77 motherboards on its website.

From what I can see, at this point none of the Gigabyte Z77 motherboards offered have Thunderbolt. There may be others coming, but at this point I do not have high hopes of Gigabyte offering Thunderbolt on any of their Ivy Bridge motherboards.

One other thing, it seems that Gigabyte has decided to do away with Realtek Audio and Realtek LAN on these motherboards. Instead, Atheros LAN and VIA Audio are used.
And VIA USB 3.0, so we will need new new audio, LAN, USB 3.0 drivers. And is it a problem that they use AMI EFI BIOS instead of BIOS? :?

Mate94 said:
Jamesbond007 said:
Octavean said:

And VIA USB 3.0, so we will need new new audio, LAN, USB 3.0 drivers. And is it a problem that they use AMI EFI BIOS instead of BIOS? :?

It will be a problem. All of that will be a problem. A motherboard shift may be coming next generation.

Mate94 said:

the kext for atheros lan has been available for a while, and voodoohda works for via audio.

on a side note, asus z77 boards use realtek audio and intel lan, and in the case of some boards, eg p8z77-v deluxe, it comes with both intel and realtek lan.

samisnake said:
Mate94 said:

the kext for atheros lan has been available for a while, and voodoohda works for via audio.

on a side note, asus z77 boards use realtek audio and intel lan, and in the case of some boards, eg p8z77-v deluxe, it comes with both intel and realtek lan.

Sami have you actually used one of those boards with that combination? I tried it out on a H61M-S2H and it was a total PITA. Not really worth the effort. BTW, thanks for your threads about DSDT creation. I've been experimenting this last week and it's been really fun. I don't think most people realize that Asus and MSI boards are actually MORE compatible than Gigabyte due to their BIOS structure.

wfj said:
samisnake said:
Mate94 said:

Sami have you actually used one of those boards with that combination? I tried it out on a H61M-S2H and it was a total PITA. Not really worth the effort. BTW, thanks for your threads about DSDT creation. I've been experimenting this last week and it's been really fun. I don't think most people realize that Asus and MSI boards are actually MORE compatible than Gigabyte due to their BIOS structure.

*after you mod the BIOS, which isn't for the feint of heart for the average Joe that just wants to throw in a DSDT and it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back