Contribute
Register

HiFi EVGA NU Audio card by Audio Note UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I've read is this is basically a USB DAC (XMOS xCORE-200 as mentioned) bridged to PCIE with an ASMedia ASM1042. So yes, it should literally just show up like any USB DAC in OSX.

I'm going to buy one and try it out, I've been looking for a replacement for my Audioengine D1 anyway. I'll report back if it works lol ;P

So it actually shows up in OSX as an audio device, but unfortunately it doesn't have any inputs/outputs you can use. Seems like it could work but it must be using weird input/output interfaces.

+-o AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation@00000000 <class AppleUSBRootHubDevice, id 0x1000004ad, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), ret$

+-o EVGA NU Audio@00300000 <class AppleUSBDevice, id 0x1000004af, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 26>

Shows up in MIDI setup:
Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.02.17 PM.png

Shows up as USB:
Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.02.42 PM.png

Has a lot of the expected DAC USB interfaces:
Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 1.20.12 PM.png

Oh well!

@Puntme No sound output is showing up under System Preferences?

Also, if you have AppleALC Kext, can you try to disable it and see what happens https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/wiki/Installation-and-usage?

Another thing I noticed is that the Current Required value is 0. Are you powering the card through the SATA connector from the PSU? Otherwise you might want to enable High Current in Clover.

Last edited:
No outputs show up in System Preferences. I haven't tried removing AppleALC or high current, I'll mess with it some more later.

The SATA is plugged in.

Thanks! I'm also very interested in this card.

I noticed your MIDI section doesn't show any other audio device, do you have the latest AppleALC and Lilu? They added support for the Z390 boards, which I see you have.

Another thing you can try doing is to enable (temporarily) USBInjectAll with XHCI-unsupported.kext from https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All

To be clear I disabled everything else before (turned off audio through the BIOS) and thats why the list is empty. I was trying to isolate the issue. I didn't mess around with Clover much though, still plenty to try.

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 7.53.24 PM.png

Got it! Thanks for clarifying. :)

So disabling alc didn't work. High current didn't work.

The thing is this works WITHOUT the EVGA software on Windows. It literally shows up as a usable device out of the box, using the default USB Audio 2.0 drivers.

I'm convinced this can work in OSX. Something fishy is happening here.
Screenshot (1).png

After some digging, this is actually whats happening, and apparently prevents it from loading correctly:
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 3.28.39 AM.png

USB Sound assertion in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-315.6/AppleUSBAudioDictionary.cpp at line 381
USB Sound assertion return 0xE00002BC in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-315.6/AppleUSBAudioDictionary.cpp at line 2087

anyone know what causes this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back