Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI X-58 Platinum -Gaming (Bios v3.9) / Clover v2.3 rev 3899
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
Nvidia (EVGA) Geforce GTX 260
I managed to get all the way thru the installation of Sierra, rebooted and went through the initial setup, then used Multibeast. And now the @$% thing hangs when booting from the drive. Fwiw, I'm running this on an MSI X58 Platinum with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 card. I'd had Mountain Lion running on it as a dual-boot for years and it's run great, but now I want to run Sierra on a single drive and just boot the drive when required.

It appeared to be fine when booting it from the USB, at least it installed and rebooted fine that first time. But after Multibeast (maybe that caused the prob somehow), when I boot the drive itself and select it from clover boot screen on the drive (in verbose mode) it gets all the way to and perhaps through the USB portion and stops at:
HID: Legacy shim 2

Then it's "Still waiting for root device"...on and on..

To be precise, on occasion it always seems to hang right at the end of a ton of USB entries (some items with 'wake' in the wording at the end). The last time it again stopped at "HID: Legacy shim 2", but I noticed that a few lines above in the middle of the USB entries there was one line that began with:
USBMSC (non-unique)...

...which I hadn't see or noted before. I haven't been able to find much of use when searching for the 'legacy shim 2' problem other than some suggestions it may have to to with USB, or it could be my system definition. However, I've tried with the default iMac 14, 2, a couple of iMac 12's, and even iMac 11/? and got the same thing. So I don't think that's the issue, but can't be sure.

Anyone seen this or had success resolving it? I'm stumped and tired of seeing this screen in my sleep :/
Thx...

Last edited:
I managed to get all the way thru the installation of Sierra, rebooted and went through the initial setup, then used Multibeast. And now the @$% thing hangs when booting from the drive. Fwiw, I'm running this on an MSI X58 Platinum with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 card. I'd had Mountain Lion running on it as a dual-boot for years and it's run great, but now I want to run Sierra on a single drive and just boot the drive when required.

It appeared to be fine when booting it from the USB, at least it installed and rebooted fine that first time. But after Multibeast (maybe that caused the prob somehow), when I boot the drive itself and select it from clover boot screen on the drive (in verbose mode) it gets all the way to and perhaps through the USB portion and stops at:
HID: Legacy shim 2

Then it's "Still waiting for root device"...on and on..

To be precise, on occasion it always seems to hang right at the end of a ton of USB entries (some items with 'wake' in the wording at the end). The last time it again stopped at "HID: Legacy shim 2", but I noticed that a few lines above in the middle of the USB entries there was one line that began with:
USBMSC (non-unique)...

...which I hadn't see or noted before. I haven't been able to find much of use when searching for the 'legacy shim 2' problem other than some suggestions it may have to to with USB, or it could be my system definition. However, I've tried with the default iMac 14, 2, a couple of iMac 12's, and even iMac 11/? and got the same thing. So I don't think that's the issue, but can't be sure.

Anyone seen this or had success resolving it? I'm stumped and tired of seeing this screen in my sleep :/
Thx...

Always post with a screen image if there is any problem so readers can see and help you with suggestions a little easier.

I have never used your MoBo to know everything about it so, some of the suggestions are based on generic system Specs.

• Can you boot the System Disk if you start the booting with USB installer and then switch to the System Disk?
  • At the Clover Boot menu go down to Options and Enter and see what are the Boot flags currently on the line Boot Args:---------- , please list them here for us to know.
Try booting with USB installer and switch to the System Disk and boot using the following boot flags: -v dart=0 nvda_drv=1 and post with a screen image load to the forum if there is any problem.

Hi Im new to this site and I have the setup for Mac OSX capitan up on my windows laptop for dualboot and ran into a problem saying "OS X EI Capitan is already installed on this mac.Quit the installer and try again." But also I have tryed this many times and no success at all period!And I have also tryed changing the time if you can help please do so:)

Always post with a screen image if there is any problem so readers can see and help you with suggestions a little easier.

I have never used your MoBo to know everything about it so, some of the suggestions are based on generic system Specs.

• Can you boot the System Disk if you start the booting with USB installer and then switch to the System Disk?
  • At the Clover Boot menu go down to Options and Enter and see what are the Boot flags currently on the line Boot Args:---------- , please list them here for us to know.
Try booting with USB installer and switch to the System Disk and boot using the following boot flags: -v dart=0 nvda_drv=1 and post with a screen image load to the forum if there is any problem.

I've still been working on this for the last few days, and I'll get some pictures of my screens to show, but so far and to answer a couple of questions this is what I'm finding...

If I do a clean install from the USB, things go fine and I can subsequently boot back to the USB and run the Sierra installation from the hard drive. On the USB I'm using these boot args on that seem to be or could be necessary:

-v dart=0 nv_disable=1 npci=0x3000 kext_dev_mode=1 (if I spelled those right)

(so far won't seem to load with nvda_drv=1 and/or using nvidia webdrivers. I'm guessing this is why the installed Sierra only gives me 1024x768 resolution for now.)

What's very frustrating however is that as long as I don't install the bootloader to the drive itself, I can boot using the USB. But once I install the Clover bootloader to the drive, whether with Multibeast or the Clover installer itself, the drive won't boot all the way to Sierra either from the drive or starting from the USB!!!

Note: I can get to the Clover boot screen on the drive because I can tell from the theme I selected. But from that point, trying to boot into Sierra, it dies as it's booting.

Fwiw, looking at the screen when booting from the drive, it still stops right after "HID: Legacy shim 2", and some further investigation (looking at others screens online and from Youtube too) seems to show that it's right at that point that it should recognize the drive it's booting from. I'd noticed while booting from the USB in those cases where I was getting all the way to the Sierra HD installation, that it's right after the 'HID: Legacy...' line that you get some AppleAPCIxxx entries related to the booting USB, and then it keeps going. So I'm betting that when I try to boot directly from the drive itself, that somehow this thing is not finding the boot files or whatever, which may explain why I get "Still waiting for root device"...and the the round-crossed circle and the screen goes whack.

Anyway, that's the current status. I'll get some screens shortly.
-JT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back