MSI MPG Z370 Gaming Plus
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all,

I’m really hoping someone can help me out with a problem that I haven’t been able to solve for a few days as it’s driving me mad!

Until a few days ago I had a fully working build with an SSD and HDD and Windows / OS X installed in dual boot on the SSD. This setup has been working for years and I’ve learnt by now not to mess with anything unless necessary... or at least I thought I’d learnt.

When I ran out of space on my windows partition, I decided to resize the NTFS and HFS partitions. I did this in two steps: (1) shrink HFS in disk utility and (2) use EaseUS Partition Master while logged in on Windows to move the partitions around as necessary and enlarge the NTFS one.

Although I could’ve sworn I was able to boot into OS X immediately afterwards when verifying everything went well, I now seem unable to. When booting -v I am met with it hanging after loading USB devices - e.g. it says HID: legacy shim 2 or similar if I remove all unnecessary devices.

As I knew this could mess things up, I cloned my OS X partition to an HDD partition prior to carrying out the above steps. Strangely, if I select my cloned drive to boot in clover, I can successfully load up OS X with no problems at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I may have broken and how I might fix it?

Thanks!

In case it helps anyone googling this issue in the future, resizing the partitions using EaseUS Partition Master caused the two HFS partitions on that drive to lose their character as HFS on the GPT file. In order to fix this, gdisk was installed on the working windows partition and the command ‘t’ used to change the type of the partitions to the correct hex code found online. Make sure to write your changes to the disk after you have made the change using ‘t’; I had thought it didn’t work first time around as I restarted to check prior to writing the changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back