Contribute
Register

HFS+ and NTFS HDDs problem - corrupt and missing files when dual boot and Paragon software use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi.
This is a bit of a weird one and it involves HDDs and file systems.

I have a build of High Sierra working perfectly from day one. But now and then I boot in my Windows 10 SSD to update the GPU (AMD Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB) and once to configure my LED lights on the motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 for the 8gen i7 8700K)
Last couple of times I booted in the Win drive and wanted to do something with the files from my HFS+ partition (i have 5 BIG drives all formated for use in the Mac filesystem - 3TB 3TB 4TB 6TB) so I decided to install Paragon software for Windows 10 to mount and use the drives on both OS ends for easier transfers.

After that everything went fine, all the hard drives showed up on Win side and copied a lot of stuff so far with no problems.
Then I noticed one problem a few months ago with one of my big drives. The moment I booted into High Sierra the OS blasts me with the message that the drive is not readable. I freaked out and went into Disk Utility and there was no help to mount it, repair it or anything. Even the first aid gave errors.
That time I was able to recover everything with Disk Drill, saved the rescued files to a new HDD, format the one with problems, put the files back and it worked UNTIL YESTERDAY WHEN I CAME BACK FROM WINDOWS WORK AND ALL MY BIG DRIVES FAULTED!!!

Now...there are a few things that concern me. I'm pretty much sure that the Paragon software messes something up with the drives on the boot or the shutdown of windows right? Because all of my drives still show up on Win side, but on the Mac side nothing!
One drive literally crashes the whole Mac OS and puts the PC in to a weird boot loop. Even in external enclosure AND EVEN ON A REAL MAC LAPTOP WHEN PLUGGED IN IT CRASHES THE OS. But weirdly not on the WIN side!
SO I had to transfer my data there to an NTFS formatted drive, format the "faulty" one in Win10 to the NTFS, boot into High Sierra, format yet another time to HFS+ and finally used Carbon Copy to clone the NTFS drive to the "new" old drive. IT WAS A TOTAL DISASTER OF THE PROCESS TO SAY THE LEAST!!!

So now I eliminated and saved the drive that was crashing my OS, on to the nest one. That one, also 3TB I saved with the Disk Drill method I used a few months back.
Buth then I noticed something very sacry (for me) on my biggest 6TB drive. I had all the problems like the one I saved with Disk Drill (can't mount on OS, can't repair, can't first aid...) BUT EVEN THE DISK DRILL COULD NOT HELP!! After a 5 hour pass from Disk Drill it did mount it but GET THIS
**IMPORTANT** ALL THE FILES SINCE MY LAST REBOOT I COPIED TO THAT DRIVE ARE GONE!!

To clarify - My Hackintosh is on 24/7 and only reboot when I go to the Windows 10 side. So last time everything was fine after I booted that drive had 4TB of free space left. I used it maybe for 2 months without a reboot and around that time it said 3.2GB free space left. NOW IT SAYS 4TB AGAIN!!
All the files I copied in that last period...GONE!!
And the WEIRDEST PART OF ALL on this particular drive is that somehow I managed to pull some data from Disk Drill as a full recovery of the drive and it did something I think nobody likes - it rescued some files but with all the system generated file names like FILE000001.mkv FILE00002.mkv

***BUT THE THING THAT GOT ME CONFUSED IS THAT IN THAT RESCUED FILES, I FOUND LONG LONG DELETED FILES FROM OTHER DRIVES IN MY SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!! DELETED FILES FROM ALL MY OTHER DRIVES WERE SUDDENLY RECOVERED TO THIS ONE, BUT I TOLD IT TO RESCUE JUST THE FILES THAT WERE ON THAT DRIVE!!! ****
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? ANYONE?!?

To summarize:

So it was like...a few days ago I had fun with my cousin and we booted into Win10 to play Assassins Creed 3 to play it on the TV and after he left...booted into High Sierra and BOOM!!! The story I wrote so far...

COULD THIS BE ALL JUST BECAUSE OF PARAGON SOFTWARE DOING SOMETHING WONKY WITH THE FILESYSTEM ON THE WIN10 SIDE?!?

I KNOW THE DRIVES ARE NOT FAILING...EVEN IF THEY ARE, THERE IS NO CHANCE THAT ALL OF THEM GO AT THE SAME TIME!!

BTW SSD ARE NOT AFFECTED AT ALL...SO IT MUST BE SOMETHING WITH THAT READ/WRITE SECTORS FOR THE SPINNING HDD HEAD RIGHT?

Now every time I boot into Win10 I must disconnect all of the spinning HDDs in my system if I want to work with some files on both end. Because all my drives (HDDs, SSDs and USB thumb drives) are formatted on the Mac side. Can't use FAT32 because of the 4GB limitations. Or maybe exFAT but I don't want to format my SSD just for that.

ANY OTHER OUT THERE WITH SIMILAR SYMPTOMS REGARDING FILE SYSTEMS (NTFS/HFS+) AND PARAGON SOFTWARE?!?

ANY OTHER HEAVY DUTY SOFTWARE LIKE DISK DRILL TO HELP WITH THIS ISSUE OF DRIVE ERRORS?!?

Thank you and sorry for the long NOVEL but I had to explain what happened because I can't find anyone online with this similar issue!

ME

3rd party apps like Paragon are known to corrupt files between Mac OS and Windows. Best to have a small drive formatted FAT32 for sharing the files between the OSs.

3rd party apps like Paragon are known to corrupt files between Mac OS and Windows. Best to have a small drive formatted FAT32 for sharing the files between the OSs.

Yeah...I've learned that in the hardest way possible. Still working on it. 3 drives rescued so far (12TB).
I was even considering (while I do this cleaning, backing up and formatting) to buy a Mac license of Paragon NTFS and format all my drives in NTFS. But since I won't be using Windows 10 anymore (hopefully) I'll stick with HFS+
Just read today about Paragon doing this crap on drives and wrote a post here because there was not so much info on this issue.
All I'll say is THANK GOD FOR DISK DRILL and DISKWARRIOR

Well I am an idiot - I should have read this post before I installed Paragon on my dual boot system... cuz now the Windows side is unbootable. I've since uninstalled Paragon and thankfully the Mac side still boots fine... thought maybe i could somehow rescue Win 10 with fixing the BCD file... but so far no clear guide on how to do that.

Well I am an idiot - I should have read this post before I installed Paragon on my dual boot system... cuz now the Windows side is unbootable. I've since uninstalled Paragon and thankfully the Mac side still boots fine... thought maybe i could somehow rescue Win 10 with fixing the BCD file... but so far no clear guide on how to do that.
Try booting the install media and select repair

Yeah...I've learned that in the hardest way possible. Still working on it. 3 drives rescued so far (12TB).
I was even considering (while I do this cleaning, backing up and formatting) to buy a Mac license of Paragon NTFS and format all my drives in NTFS. But since I won't be using Windows 10 anymore (hopefully) I'll stick with HFS+
Just read today about Paragon doing this crap on drives and wrote a post here because there was not so much info on this issue.
All I'll say is THANK GOD FOR DISK DRILL and DISKWARRIOR
I may be wrong but most people are saying that Paragon NTFS is generally not too unreliable, is that correct? (They do agree that Paragon HFS is extremely unreliable)
Source: I am currently using Paragon NTFS but I'm a little scared after reading this post.... Do you think I should uninstall it?

I may be wrong but most people are saying that Paragon NTFS is generally not too unreliable, is that correct? (They do agree that Paragon HFS is extremely unreliable)
Source: I am currently using Paragon NTFS but I'm a little scared after reading this post.... Do you think I should uninstall it?
never use that software, it has been known to corrupt mac drives

especially windows based paragon trying to edit files on a mac drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back