Contribute
Register

HEVC (H.265) 10 bit playback with GTX 960 isn't fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus UX333FN
CPU
I5 8265u
Graphics
HD 620
I'm on the latest Nvidia Web Driver (GTX 960) and I get a lot of stuttering while playing a h.265 video sample. In Windows there is no problem with the same video (using Kodi), it seems like in OS X there is no hardware acceleration (I'm still on El Capitan). Am I missing something?

jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv

I'm experiencing the same thing with that file on Sierra, using VLC.

Try with Kodi on OS X...

Edit: Does NOT play correctly (GTX 970 with web drivers)

Last edited:
10 bit playback resorts to software rendering depending on libraries, drivers etc. Workaround is to transcode with ffmpeg into 8 bit.

Last edited:
10 bit playback resorts to software rendering depending on libraries, drivers etc. Workaround is to transcode with ffmpeg into 8 bit.

Do you mean that 10 bit playback does not rely only on hardware? Besides drivers?

Do you mean that 10 bit playback does not rely only on hardware? Besides drivers?
Capable hardware needs software to make use of it. If it is not playing back correctly then there is probably no acceleration, you may need to transcode offline.

Code:
~ $ brew install ffmpeg
~ $ ffmpeg -i /Volumes/Data/Home/Downloads/jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv -vcodec libx264 -crf 19 -acodec copy jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-x264.mkv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back