Contribute
Register

Help with Sapphire HD 6870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, thanks for the reply. I disabled those options in XBMC but it still doesn't work.

What i have done now is removed my amp from the equation. Now my Graphics card goes direct to the TV. However, with this setup i get no sound on videos at all, but music plays fine through itunes?

I really dont know what im doing here :/

This is my midi setup without my amp connected. I want to use my amp but i figured i'd removed it just to help troubleshooting. If thats not a good idea i will reconnect it?

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-11%20at%2018.26.21.png

I was starting to think it was an XBMC problem, but quicktime doesn't work either.

EDIT: I'm not sure what i have just done, but now XBMC is almost working. I can hear some of the sound (mostly just sound effects).

EDIT 2: Reconnected my amp and it appears to have surround sound, but the glitching is still there! arh! haha

Also, when i installed that AppleHDA kext, was i supposed to follow all the instructions? All i did was follow the install instructions. I already mentioned this, but i want to make sure i did right by not messing around with midi and the binary stuff.

Maybe if no one has any ideas at this point, someone could list all of the steps i needed to do so i can make sure i haven't missed anything out. Could there be a problem with the DSDT i was told to install?

Thanks,
Chris

Ok so the glitching noise has now stopped (i have no idea how or why other than i restarted XBMC), but the popping and crackling noise is back :/

This is all through my amp by the way. I feel i'm almost there, i just need help removing the crackle and pops. It sounds similar to an old vinyl, only amplified.

Chris

Just a thought - I have a long HMDI lead, you dont suppose thats causing the noise? I can try a shorter lead but i will have to try that tomorrow as it's late now, and i dont wanna start moving everything around.

Then again though, when i had the glitching noise, it only started when a movie started playing. There was no noise at all when nothing was playing.

Something is wrong someplace, but what?
Im giving as much detail as possible in the hope that it triggers something in the head of someone with more knowledge than me.

Thanks,
Chris

i think the problem is that your system is not supporting some sound encoding

to get clear :

you test Mp3 and no problem reported
Cd sound should work also but you can do a test
try a DVD movie from your DVD reader but with the DVD application
there are an application named Perian http://perian.org/
install it and test your mkv and avi movie with VLC player
install PLEX application and test with it
test with your XBMC and report the result for all this test

thanks

Ok i tried all of that and it all works (as it did before), but still there was a crackling noise over the top.

I just tried changing 1080p to 1080i and everything audio wise is working great now! But why do i need it set to i and not p? I knew it would be something simple causing the noise.

Thanks for all of your help with the DSDT and the troubleshooting!

I was wondering if you might be able to help me with one other niggle i have... When im watching a video (or even just using OS X) on my computer whilst mirroring to my TV set, why does one of the pictures have to break up? Since i have set my display resolution to my amp at 1080i, it's my monitor that the picture breaks up on. But when i had the amp set to 1080p, my monitor was fine and my TV picture was breaking up. By breaking up i mean you would get horizontal lines across the display that misalign the images. I hope that makes sense? It just seems like maybe the graphics card isn't working as good as it should or can?

One other thing! All i need to backup is my DSDT that you (thanks a bunch by the way!) made for me? Or do i need to backup other things too?

Thanks,
Chris

The breaking up picture only happens when mirroring. Is there any way i can stop the problem when i "mirror" the display?

I can post a video if needs be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back