Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI (ITX)
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
R9 380X
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Installation background:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/preparing-a-lenovo-710s-7200u-samsung-nvme-for-osx.213732/

This thread is meant to iron out the last work to make this laptop usable as a daily laptop with MacOS.
I am not skilled in this. All I have achieved has been through various guides and a lot of help from RehabMan.
When this thread is worked out, I plan to make one of these guide-threads for this laptop.

That guide-thread will likely not be too long, for as it turns out I've been quite lucky with my choice of laptop.
There are AppleHDA patches available for it (Realtek ALC236), ACPIBatteryManager.kext by RehabMan works without DSDT patches and the laptop has native bluetooth support. I use it to tether it to my iPhone for internet access.
The class code spoof for the NVMe SSD works great and the VoodooPS2Controller works like a charm (Synaptics trackpad). The built-in webcam works too.

What remains to be done:

Brightness fix. This I was going to do just now, but I can't seem to find the patch in the Laptop DSDT Patch repository. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Shutdown fix. I assume this is it https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/system/system_Shutdown2.txt .
Should I write this at the bottom of the appropiate SSDT/DSDT and try Compile? If it returns without errors, I save and put it in ACPI/patched? (all my DSDT/SSDTs .aml have been made using the iasl method as instructed by RehabMan and I use his version of MaciASL).

USB fix. I have read one should not rely on USBInjectAll.kext forever, without patching. Is this correct? I should have a kind of laptop specific routing table in my DSDT that tells OS X specifically what ports I have and ports I don't have. Is this covered in the USB Fix thread? (I'll have a look shortly).

OS Check Fix and Non-zero Mutex fix. How do I know whether I should apply these? If I were to, should I add the lines of code at the bottom of my DSDT.aml?

HWMonitor does not work. When I put the plugins (FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext and FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext in Kexts/10.11, the laptop won't boot. Can I find out why somehow?

The built in SD-card reader. Is not working. Where to start for solving this?

WIFI. The laptop uses a QCA6174 WIFI/Bluetooth chipset. I have yet to find drivers for it. At some point I will have to buy a new chip, but for the time being the Bluetooth solution works fine.
-----

I'd like to thank this community for being so helpful and open. It's not that bad, spending so much time here and writing all this code I don't know what it does when there are so many good peope around.

Many thanks for any help solving any of these last issues.

Edit 2 March: Thanks to much help from the Rehabman, almost all of the issues are now solved and a new WiFi chip is on the way from the depths of China.

Last edited:
What remains to be done:

Brightness fix. This I was going to do just now, but I can't seem to find the patch in the Laptop DSDT Patch repository. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Brightness guide is linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Shutdown fix. I assume this is it https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/system/system_Shutdown2.txt .
Should I write this at the bottom of the appropiate SSDT/DSDT and try Compile? If it returns without errors, I save and put it in ACPI/patched? (all my DSDT/SSDTs .aml have been made using the iasl method as instructed by RehabMan and I use his version of MaciASL).

Don't implement any patch for shutdown until you resolve all other issues (USB configuration, for example).
Such incorrect USB configuration may be causing your shutdown issue.
Note: You should add my repo to MaciASL "Sources" so you can find patches by their "friendly" name.

USB fix. I have read one should not rely on USBInjectAll.kext forever,

Wrong.
USB guide is linked from the FAQ.

OS Check Fix and Non-zero Mutex fix. How do I know whether I should apply these? If I were to, should I add the lines of code at the bottom of my DSDT.aml?

Pick an "OS Check Fix"... it is generally required.
If you have Mutex objects with non-zero SyncLevel, use the patch. The patch will have no effect if you don't have any, so you can apply the patch no matter.

HWMonitor does not work. When I put the plugins (FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext and FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext in Kexts/10.11, the laptop won't boot. Can I find out why somehow?

No need for these anyway. Eventually FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext will be updated for Kaby Lake, but you would need to wait.

The built in SD-card reader. Is not working. Where to start for solving this?

Most PCIe card readers not supported.
You might find some relevant guides if it is connected via USB.

WIFI. The laptop uses a QCA6174 WIFI/Bluetooth chipset. I have yet to find drivers for it. At some point I will have to buy a new chip, but for the time being the Bluetooth solution works fine.

Replace with compatible hardware.
See FAQ.

Brightness guide is linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Don't implement any patch for shutdown until you resolve all other issues (USB configuration, for example).
Such incorrect USB configuration may be causing your shutdown issue.
Note: You should add my repo to MaciASL "Sources" so you can find patches by their "friendly" name.

Wrong.
USB guide is linked from the FAQ.

Pick an "OS Check Fix"... it is generally required.
If you have Mutex objects with non-zero SyncLevel, use the patch. The patch will have no effect if you don't have any, so you can apply the patch no matter.

No need for these anyway. Eventually FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext will be updated for Kaby Lake, but you would need to wait.

Most PCIe card readers not supported.
You might find some relevant guides if it is connected via USB.

Replace with compatible hardware.
See FAQ.
I had your repo in MaciASL but didn't know how to access it. I just learned how. I didn't know what pressing the Patch button would do. This is very nice.

Will update soon with how everything goes.

I have opened my DSDT.aml with MaciASL. I applied the OS Check Fix for Windows 8 (the laptop came with Win 10 so Win 8 seemed more recent than Win Vista) and the non-zero SyncLevel patches. I could compile without errors. I then applied the Fix Brightness patch. That returned an error. I rolled back that patch, saved the DSDT and applied the Brightness Fix patch on the SSDT-0-GFX instead. That did not give me an error. I'm putting them in /patched/ now.

Clover boot.log says the patched .aml are loaded successfully. Other than that, I can't see any difference. I don't know where to look though.

The brightness kext and patch works.

Last edited:
Notes on DropSSDT=Yes and DropOem=true

With older hardware you may need to drop OEM CPU related SSDTs. Although you can drop individual tables with config.plist/ACPI/DropTables, it is easiest to drop all with config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/DropOem=true.

With modern Broadwell/Haswell/Ivy hardware the system almost always works better if you retain all the SSDTs. The newer systems may even have trouble booting if you eliminate them.

As a result, don't use DropOem=true unless you have to. It is needed on certain computers Sandy Bridge and older.

More information regarding DropOem is available in the ACPI patching guide:

My config.plist is built on your 620_config.plist. I therefore have a couple of values dropped in ACPI.

"USB" checkbox under Drop OEM_DSM is checked.
Under Drop Tables, there are three signatures:
DMAR
#MCFG
SSDT: Table ID: xh_rvp10 .

Should these be cleaned out for proper power management?

I had your repo in MaciASL but didn't know how to access it. I just learned how. I didn't know what pressing the Patch button would do. This is very nice.

Will update soon with how everything goes.

I have opened my DSDT.aml with MaciASL. I applied the OS Check Fix for Windows 8 (the laptop came with Win 10 so Win 8 seemed more recent than Win Vista) and the non-zero SyncLevel patches. I could compile without errors. I then applied the Fix Brightness patch. That returned an error. I rolled back that patch, saved the DSDT and applied the Brightness Fix patch on the SSDT-0-GFX instead. That did not give me an error. I'm putting them in /patched/ now.

Clover boot.log says the patched .aml are loaded successfully. Other than that, I can't see any difference. I don't know where to look though.

The brightness kext and patch works.

If you're error was having to do with a Store(PNLF, ....), you should have just changed to Store(\PNLF, ...)

My config.plist is built on your 620_config.plist. I therefore have a couple of values dropped in ACPI.

"USB" checkbox under Drop OEM_DSM is checked.
Under Drop Tables, there are three signatures:
DMAR
#MCFG
SSDT: Table ID: xh_rvp10 .

Should these be cleaned out for proper power management?

Those tables typically need to be dropped, hence why they are in the default plist.

Those tables typically need to be dropped, hence why they are in the default plist.
I see. I tried removing these values from my config.plist and the computer booted. I cannot notice any difference. Is there a way I can check if something broke by removing them?

I see. I tried removing these values from my config.plist and the computer booted. I cannot notice any difference. Is there a way I can check if something broke by removing them?

I don't know what you mean by "I cannot notice any difference". I thought previously you were not able to boot? If you can boot now, isn't that a "difference"?

I don't know what you mean by "I cannot notice any difference". I thought previously you were not able to boot? If you can boot now, isn't that a "difference"?
I could boot with specified values that dropped certain tables. But since I read in the guide about proper Power Management that maybe it's not a good idea to have dropped tables specified in config.plist, I tried removing them. The computer still boots.

But then I hear you saying that these tables typcally need to be dropped, and now I don't know whether I should put them back or not.

I could boot with specified values that dropped certain tables. But since I read in the guide about proper Power Management that maybe it's not a good idea to have dropped tables specified in config.plist, I tried removing them. The computer still boots.

But then I hear you saying that these tables typcally need to be dropped, and now I don't know whether I should put them back or not.

Some laptops with the xh_rvp10 SSDT cause panic in USB kexts.
Not all though.
But enough that I added it to the default plist files...
Those that find it doesn't cause a problem can remove it from the DropTables list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back