Contribute
Register

Help with Mojave Installation on Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 -Op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again for the reply,
I was aware that the gaming 5/7 boards were successful, but when I ordered mine the only availability here in UK was the version with Optane. At the time I was not aware that the Optane feature was nor compatible with MAC OS. I just wondered if my purchase was a big mistake.
I will move drive tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
As far as the SATA drive with Windows on, I did try disconnecting it totally. But it did not make any difference.

There was another user who had an Optane SSD who was having problems whom I was trying to help. In the end, he had to pull out the Optane.

So to be clear, your board is not recognizing that the NVME is bootable. The previous recommendations are good, disable/remove Optane (I don't know what that is, sounds like something specific to your hardware); try a different NVME slot (my board has two slots; on my z170 I had to use the "top" slot closest to the CPU; on my z370 I also use the top slot and it works but both may work); build a USB clover boot stick and try booting (F12) to that and then see if clover loads and lets you boot from the NVME.

APFS: you either need the afps.efi in your EFI's drivers64uefi folder or you need the kext in your EFI's kexts/other that finds and loads the apfs.efi from your boot drive. But since you aren't getting that far this is probably not an apfs issue, and you said the builder said it was bootable on his/a similar system so that's unlikely to be the issue.

As far as I know building a USB stick with clover requires a Mac, which makes things tough if this IS your Mac but won't boot. Back in the day you could download ISOs that you could burn to a CDROM for booting. Don't know how to do it from Windows. Do you have access to any bootable Mac?

Does that mean the board comes with the intel memory on-board? I assume if so, you removed it and shut off the feature in BIOS?
Yes it was part of the board set. Many offering from Gigabyte and other manufacturers are including currently. I deal for Windows.
Thanks -16jvl

So to be clear, your board is not recognizing that the NVME is bootable. The previous recommendations are good, disable/remove Optane (I don't know what that is, sounds like something specific to your hardware); try a different NVME slot (my board has two slots; on my z170 I had to use the "top" slot closest to the CPU; on my z370 I also use the top slot and it works but both may work); build a USB clover boot stick and try booting (F12) to that and then see if clover loads and lets you boot from the NVME.

APFS: you either need the afps.efi in your EFI's drivers64uefi folder or you need the kext in your EFI's kexts/other that finds and loads the apfs.efi from your boot drive. But since you aren't getting that far this is probably not an apfs issue, and you said the builder said it was bootable on his/a similar system so that's unlikely to be the issue.

As far as I know building a USB stick with clover requires a Mac, which makes things tough if this IS your Mac but won't boot. Back in the day you could download ISOs that you could burn to a CDROM for booting. Don't know how to do it from Windows. Do you have access to any bootable Mac?
Hello again.
Yes the reason I wanted to Hackintosh is my current Mac is a classic cheese grater 3.1 So 10 years old. I did not want an iMac nor the trash can. So hence I am here.
So yes I should be able to make a usb clover boot drive. Hopefully I will get time tomorrow to do that.

Hello,
Well I have moved the M.2 to the top slot with out any change. Does not boot.
I made a USB clover boot loader and selected it via Reboot +F12 and it opens a clover but is only showing Windows to load.
However I am not convinced I made the USB correctly. Can someone point me to how to select the various options. Understand select UEFI
but after that there is an overwhelming list to customise. The Version I have downloaded is Version 2.4K r4722
I put a search in search menu and did not get a result. I found a guide on another site but its for an earlier version.
16jvl

Yep it's overwhelming.
Sounds like you are trying to use Multibeast to create the stick? There are certainly a lot of options. There is contextual help, and there should be guides for z3xx series boards. The good news is a lot of Multibeast is optimization, and you don't care about that, you're just trying to get it to boot. Sound, ethernet you don't need to worry about immediately, and USB should be good with USBInjectAll (whatever option that is in Multibeast). I would use system definition iMac14,2, it's the most broadly compatible. For graphics, I THINK your RX is natively supported with enabling ATI (ATI==AMD I think). If graphics gives you headaches you can always disable discrete and use the IGPU in the BIOS. The main kext you must have is FakeSMC.kext.

To be honest, once you build the stick with multibeast I think I would immediately download the latest clover and run it on top of the stick so you have the latest and greatest. In clover, you want to make sure you have the apfsdriverloader.kext that pulls apfs.efi off your boot partition.

Once you get your system booted then you can try to start moving the custom stuff in the config.plist on the NVME to the config.plist on the stick. You want to go slowly so as to not corrupt the stick. clover supports using a specific config, defaulting to config.plist, so you can create config.1.plist with a few changes, and manually select that at boot up, and if it blows up, just reboot with your known good config.plist. Your nvme allegedly has a well configured config.plist and set of kexts (and maybe some acpi/patched amls). it's possible that you'll figure something out and you can just start booting off the NVME. Good luck!

Yep it's overwhelming.
Sounds like you are trying to use Multibeast to create the stick? There are certainly a lot of options. There is contextual help, and there should be guides for z3xx series boards. The good news is a lot of Multibeast is optimization, and you don't care about that, you're just trying to get it to boot. Sound, ethernet you don't need to worry about immediately, and USB should be good with USBInjectAll (whatever option that is in Multibeast). I would use system definition iMac14,2, it's the most broadly compatible. For graphics, I THINK your RX is natively supported with enabling ATI (ATI==AMD I think). If graphics gives you headaches you can always disable discrete and use the IGPU in the BIOS. The main kext you must have is FakeSMC.kext.

To be honest, once you build the stick with multibeast I think I would immediately download the latest clover and run it on top of the stick so you have the latest and greatest. In clover, you want to make sure you have the apfsdriverloader.kext that pulls apfs.efi off your boot partition.

Once you get your system booted then you can try to start moving the custom stuff in the config.plist on the NVME to the config.plist on the stick. You want to go slowly so as to not corrupt the stick. clover supports using a specific config, defaulting to config.plist, so you can create config.1.plist with a few changes, and manually select that at boot up, and if it blows up, just reboot with your known good config.plist. Your nvme allegedly has a well configured config.plist and set of kexts (and maybe some acpi/patched amls). it's possible that you'll figure something out and you can just start booting off the NVME. Good luck!
Hello again,
No it was just the Clover app. I was not trying to create a bootable drive with Mojave on the usb. I thought you earlier suggestion was to try using Clover via a USB to boot my M.2
I downloaded it thinking I might be able to launch my disk.
The package was Clover Ver 2.4K r4722.
I opened it up and selected UEFI only but on the same page there are lots of boxes to tick. What else do I need to achieve your suggestion.
Clearly my lack of knowledge it starting to show.

Ok I was confused because you said you selected UEFI. Multibeast starts with UEFI and legacy.

The nice thing about multibeast is that it creates a generic, safe (but unoptimized!) config.plist for you given a few inputs from you. Honestly I think it's a good place to start because it gives you contextual help. You want to visit each set of options and check only what you are pretty sure you need. You can use your motherboard manual to guide you in sound and ethernet (or skip for now). Use the iMac14,2 SMBIOS. You'll want the USB fix (USBInjectAll kext). Tick your AMD Radeon GPU in the graphics section (the checkbox might be labeled ATI) (or don't use the discrete at all, use the IGPU for now and switch later).

Then rerun clover against the USB and it'll upgrade the stick but won't touch the config.plist. In clover all you should need to check if not already checked is the aptiomemoryfix and the apfsdriverloader kexts (don't uncheck anything). That should get you a bootable stick. If you can then boot, then we can work on moving the optimizations from the config.plist on the NVME to the config.plist on the USB stick, eventually removing the need for the USB stick when booting.

If you can't boot from the stick then we pick up where booting left off: did booting get to clover? if not, it's a BIOS issue; if it did, it's a config issue. If it's a BIOS issue, then we need to load optimized defaults and change the minimum until we can get to clover, then make calculated changes in the BIOS being prepared to revert should we no longer get to clover. Modern BIOSes require very few changes to boot to clover, most of it is optimization. You need to enable EHCI and XHCI for USB, and tweak it for your GPU, and disable like vt-d? I think?

Booting from USB stick: safest to use a USB 2 stick in a USB 2 port (the ones on the top on back).

Last edited:
Z370 AORUS Gaming7 | i7 8700к|UHD 630/ у меня есть Hackintosh mojave и почти все функции работают, это просто видеокарта с помощью встроенного / / надеюсь, ктому -то может помочь Z370 AORUS Gaming7 | i7 8700K |UHD 630/ I got a Hackintosh mojave and almost all of the functions work that's just video card using the built-in // Hope someone can help

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35.6 MB · Views: 150
  • config.plist 10 .zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Z370 AORUS Gaming7 | i7 8700K | I got a Hackintosh mojave and almost all of the functions work that's just video card using the built-in // Hope someone can help

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile Just three items - Motherboard (or prebuilt system), Processor (CPU) and Graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back