Case Fractal R6
Motherboard as above
i7-8700k
Sapphire Pulse RX580
EVGA 750w G2
Corsair 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz
Samsung 970 Evo M.2 for MACOS
Samsung 850EVO sad for Windows

I have had my M.2 preloaded with Clover- Vanilla with Mojave, When I try to boot from this disk I get a error page saying Reboot selecting proper boot drive

I am in my later years and am struggling to get my Mackintosh working. I can get windows working

I am aware that MACOS will not support the Optane M.2 and have removed it and turned off Octane storage in BIOS

Can anyone give me some ideas how to proceed.

The guy who has prepared my drive has tested it on his machine and he is lost why it will not open

System info
Z370 Aorus Gaming 7-OP
BIOS F1
Bios Date 4/03/2018
BIOS ID 8A0DAG0K

Please advise if you need any further info.

These are the BIOS settings I have used

Save & Exit >Load Optimized Defaults
M.I.T. >Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) : Profile1
BIOS > FastBoot: Disabled
BIOS > LAN PXE Boot Option ROM: Disabled
BIOS > Storage Boot Option Control: UEFI
Peripherals > TrustedComputing > Security Device Support:Disable
Peripherals > Network Stack Configuration > Network Stack:Disabled
Peripherals > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support: Auto
Peripherals > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
Chipset > Vt-d: Disabled
Chipset > Wake on LAN Enable: Disabled
Chipset > IOAPIC 24-119 Entries: Enabled
M.2 must be plugged in to the middle M.2 port, no octane accelerations as its not compatible with macOS .

My M.2 is in the centre M.2 location and Windows drive is on SATA1 No other drives connected at this time

Any help would be appreciated

16jvl

Welcome to the forum. You have provided lots of good info and a build in your signature so that's a great starting place.

I have a GA 370-based system. In my case I had HS running on it. I disabled my nvidia GPU in the BIOS, swapped video out cables to the IGPU, updated clover, lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext, booted HS using IGPU, and updated through MAS.

You seem to have gotten an NVME pre-loaded. The thing is, how was it built, and does it have the right kexts and config.plist? Can you shed any light on how the NVME was built? The error you report sounds like a BIOS error, that is, the BIOS is reporting the drive is not bootable. Are you booting in UEFI mode (and not legacy/BIOS mode) and are you getting to the clover screen where you can select a boot drive?

You are using a supported GPU so that is one big thing you don't have to worry about (vs. my nvidia GPU). You don't mention but are you pointing your BIOS init video out to the RX580? You are obviously getting graphics output so this is unlikely a big deal.

Let's focus on getting to the clover boot screen, the screen where you select a boot device. You need to power down, boot up and hit F12 to select boot device, select the UEFI version of your NVME from the menu (on my GA board under some BIOS configurations I will see 2 or 3 boot options that point at the NVME, you want the one prefixed UEFI I believe), and see if you can get to Clover. Once you get to clover you should be able to just select your mojave installation to boot to.

Where in this process do you get hung up?

Couple notes: the clover config could specify a wait time of 0 before it chooses a boot device; you typically don't want that, you want like 5 seconds. If you have 0 seconds it'll pick the pre-configured default but in that case you would see the apple log at least briefly I would think. In the clover boot screen you can hit any key to stop the count-down and take your time to look at the options. Also, you can add -v to your boot parameters to force debug output to the screen if you can get past the clover boot screen but the boot to macos hangs.

I don't know how to look at the EFI partition of an NVME in windows, but you would want to validate that the EFI partition exists and has a clover folder with the right stuff in it. You can find screenshots of the basic folder structure online.

Welcome to the forum. You have provided lots of good info and a build in your signature so that's a great starting place.

I have a GA 370-based system. In my case I had HS running on it. I disabled my nvidia GPU in the BIOS, swapped video out cables to the IGPU, updated clover, lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext, booted HS using IGPU, and updated through MAS.

You seem to have gotten an NVME pre-loaded. The thing is, how was it built, and does it have the right kexts and config.plist? Can you shed any light on how the NVME was built? The error you report sounds like a BIOS error, that is, the BIOS is reporting the drive is not bootable. Are you booting in UEFI mode (and not legacy/BIOS mode) and are you getting to the clover screen where you can select a boot drive?

You are using a supported GPU so that is one big thing you don't have to worry about (vs. my nvidia GPU). You don't mention but are you pointing your BIOS init video out to the RX580? You are obviously getting graphics output so this is unlikely a big deal.

Let's focus on getting to the clover boot screen, the screen where you select a boot device. You need to power down, boot up and hit F12 to select boot device, select the UEFI version of your NVME from the menu (on my GA board under some BIOS configurations I will see 2 or 3 boot options that point at the NVME, you want the one prefixed UEFI I believe), and see if you can get to Clover. Once you get to clover you should be able to just select your mojave installation to boot to.

Where in this process do you get hung up?

Couple notes: the clover config could specify a wait time of 0 before it chooses a boot device; you typically don't want that, you want like 5 seconds. If you have 0 seconds it'll pick the pre-configured default but in that case you would see the apple log at least briefly I would think. In the clover boot screen you can hit any key to stop the count-down and take your time to look at the options. Also, you can add -v to your boot parameters to force debug output to the screen if you can get past the clover boot screen but the boot to macos hangs.

I don't know how to look at the EFI partition of an NVME in windows, but you would want to validate that the EFI partition exists and has a clover folder with the right stuff in it. You can find screenshots of the basic folder structure online.

Hi AOL
Yes I obtained a preloaded NVME, in actual fact I purchased the bare drive and it has been customised for me.

About the drive, It is formatted in APFS with Mojave using Clover + vanilla. it is 500GB I was told it will be plug and play with perhaps mod for Audio and Wifi post. So I can only presume it has been built correctly. Is was tested on a similar arrangement.

Yes I am booting from UEFI. No I am not getting to the clover screen.

I have on many occasions rebooted +F12 selected the Drive which only gives me the option Samsung Evo 970. It immediately comes up with a Black screen saying Reboot selecting proper boot drive or insert media disc etc (window)

I read on another page on this forum that he was only able to boot into the NVME with NVME = -1 I am not sure what this means .
He appears to have the same mono as me. I have asked him to confirm but he has not responded.

Thanks for your help

16jvl

Hi AOL
Yes I obtained a preloaded NVME, in actual fact I purchased the bare drive and it has been customised for me.

About the drive, It is formatted in APFS with Mojave using Clover + vanilla. it is 500GB I was told it will be plug and play with perhaps mod for Audio and Wifi post. So I can only presume it has been built correctly. Is was tested on a similar arrangement.

Yes I am booting from UEFI. No I am not getting to the clover screen.

I have on many occasions rebooted +F12 selected the Drive which only gives me the option Samsung Evo 970. It immediately comes up with a Black screen saying Reboot selecting proper boot drive or insert media disc etc (window)

I read on another page on this forum that he was only able to boot into the NVME with NVME = -1 I am not sure what this means .
He appears to have the same mono as me. I have asked him to confirm but he has not responded.

Thanks for your help

16jvl

Are you able to boot to Clover from a USB flash drive with the EFI folder in the EFI partition?

I'm running the same config, only I have the gaming 5.
A couple of things. When you go into the BIOS, does it show both the 970 and 850?
I boot my MacOS using the 1st M2 port (closes to CPU), not the middle. I suggest you try moving it any see what happens.
If moving it alone doesn't work, go into BIOS and DISABLE all the SATA ports and see if that makes a difference.
If the M2 works with all SATA disabled, enable only SATA0 and see what happens.....

Are you able to boot to Clover from a USB flash drive with the EFI folder in the EFI partition?
Hi,
As you will be aware this is all new to me. No I have not tried your suggestion as I was expecting the drive to be plug and play. So I will asap try to follow your suggestion. It might take a while as I have to go out for the rest of today. will post as soon as I am able.
Thanks - 16jvl

I'm running the same config, only I have the gaming 5.
A couple of things. When you go into the BIOS, does it show both the 970 and 850?
I boot my MacOS using the 1st M2 port (closes to CPU), not the middle. I suggest you try moving it any see what happens.
If moving it alone doesn't work, go into BIOS and DISABLE all the SATA ports and see if that makes a difference.
If the M2 works with all SATA disabled, enable only SATA0 and see what happens.....
Hello,
Yes I have had both drives show in the BIOS depending on setting. I first had M.2 on bottom slot, then moved it to middle. I have tried with SATA drive disconnected, still the same.
When you say you have same config? do you mean your board initially had the Optane feature. I am worried there is something baked into mobo with Optane that makes not compatible. I was hoping to hear from someone that they have the same type of board that they have had success with. I have removed the Optane M.2 and switched off the facility in the BIOS
I will try your suggestion asap as I have to go out for the rest of today.

Hello,
Yes I have had both drives show in the BIOS depending on setting. I first had M.2 on bottom slot, then moved it to middle. I have tried with SATA drive disconnected, still the same.
When you say you have same config? do you mean your board initially had the Optane feature. I am worried there is something baked into mobo with Optane that makes not compatible. I was hoping to hear from someone that they have the same type of board that they have had success with. I have removed the Optane M.2 and switched off the facility in the BIOS
I will try your suggestion asap as I have to go out for the rest of today.

Correct, I have the same board. There are several people here also using the Gaming 5/7.
You're correct, Optane won't work and needs to be off.

The only thing I'd suggest is move the M2 to the 1st slot
You said the SATA drive is disconnected, did you mean the BIOS settings?

and as Pastrychef mentions, are you booting clover and see the partition?

Correct, I have the same board. There are several people here also using the Gaming 5/7.
You're correct, Optane won't work and needs to be off.

The only thing I'd suggest is move the M2 to the 1st slot
You said the SATA drive is disconnected, did you mean the BIOS settings?

and as Pastrychef mentions, are you booting clover and see the partition?
Thanks again for the reply,
I was aware that the gaming 5/7 boards were successful, but when I ordered mine the only availability here in UK was the version with Optane. At the time I was not aware that the Optane feature was nor compatible with MAC OS. I just wondered if my purchase was a big mistake.
I will move drive tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
As far as the SATA drive with Windows on, I did try disconnecting it totally. But it did not make any difference.

Thanks again for the reply,
I was aware that the gaming 5/7 boards were successful, but when I ordered mine the only availability here in UK was the version with Optane. At the time I was not aware that the Optane feature was nor compatible with MAC OS. I just wondered if my purchase was a big mistake.
I will move drive tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
As far as the SATA drive with Windows on, I did try disconnecting it totally. But it did not make any difference.
Does that mean the board comes with the intel memory on-board? I assume if so, you removed it and shut off the feature in BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back