Z77x UP5 TH
CPU
i7 3770K 3.5Ghz
Graphics
geForce GTX 660 Ti
Background:

P55M-UD4 MB w/ i7 860 CPU
GEForce 9500 GT Video

I've been running Snow Leopard for 3 years on this thing and now that everyone is dropping support for Safari 5 I had to upgrade.

1) Upgraded to 10.8.2 with the standard OSX ML upgrade. Everything works fine except Audio. Figure I'll deal with that later.
2) Upgraded to 10.8.5 using the combo upgrade. Same deal. Everything works except the audio, or so I thought.

I'd been testing/building with Unibeast in the machine, so the system won't boot on its own (I have PC EFI installed). The problem is that if I run multibeast and install either the correct DSDT or Chimera, it breaks the system. Hangs on boot if I try to boot normally; if I boot in safe mode it boots ok but then goes to a black screen on video init (with or without GE enabled).

Is there a way to extract the settings that work from the system with PC-EFI? I don't remember what I did when I built this to get it to work.

Can Mountain Lion boot with PC-EFI? There's so many guides for this MB that it's difficult to figure out with "fixes" apply to my system.

I seem to remember that some magic was required for an i7.

Background:

P55M-UD4 MB w/ i7 860 CPU
GEForce 9500 GT Video

I've been running Snow Leopard for 3 years on this thing and now that everyone is dropping support for Safari 5 I had to upgrade.

1) Upgraded to 10.8.2 with the standard OSX ML upgrade. Everything works fine except Audio. Figure I'll deal with that later.
2) Upgraded to 10.8.5 using the combo upgrade. Same deal. Everything works except the audio, or so I thought.

I'd been testing/building with Unibeast in the machine, so the system won't boot on its own (I have PC EFI installed). The problem is that if I run multibeast and install either the correct DSDT or Chimera, it breaks the system. Hangs on boot if I try to boot normally; if I boot in safe mode it boots ok but then goes to a black screen on video init (with or without GE enabled).

Is there a way to extract the settings that work from the system with PC-EFI? I don't remember what I did when I built this to get it to work.

Can Mountain Lion boot with PC-EFI? There's so many guides for this MB that it's difficult to figure out with "fixes" apply to my system.

I seem to remember that some magic was required for an i7.
When installing UniBeast/MultiBeast/Chimera remove PC-EFI from the board. You don't need it.

Way back when in the early SL days (about Jan. 2010) you used to have to use the busratio=xx boot flag where xx was the bus ratio for a specific core i CPU. The i5 750 and i7 860 were the only 2 natively supported. My i7 920 required boot flag busratio=20.
Try going to http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/ and looking thru the early posts listed in the right hand pane listed by year with subheadings by month. Much useful info is there.

I've spent the better part of 2 days reading blog posts. There's so much info that it's not clear what applies to my system. I'd prefer not to rebuild it from scratch.

You say "remove PC-EFI"; doesn't installing Chimera overwrite PC-EFI? When I install Chimera, it breaks the video (and probably other things), which is more annoying than having to boot with unibeast USB in the system.

The question I asked is there a way to extract my settings that work with PC-EFI so I can have some chance of duplicating them with Chimera.

Also, what is the correct Audio driver? I've seen some threads with 888b, but the board spec says that it has 889a.

I've spent the better part of 2 days reading blog posts. There's so much info that it's not clear what applies to my system. I'd prefer not to rebuild it from scratch.

You say "remove PC-EFI"; doesn't installing Chimera overwrite PC-EFI? When I install Chimera, it breaks the video (and probably other things), which is more annoying than having to boot with unibeast USB in the system.

The question I asked is there a way to extract my settings that work with PC-EFI so I can have some chance of duplicating them with Chimera.

Also, what is the correct Audio driver? I've seen some threads with 888b, but the board spec says that it has 889a.
Did you run MultiBeast with UserDSDT? The newer MultiBeast all use GE=No and your card needs GE=Yes.
You also might need to add the card id to the nVidia kexts plugins - have you tried that?

I've tried installing the nVidia drivers (geForce.kext is on the system). Same problem. Screen dies on video init.

This is what I've tried differently.

I reverted back to 10.8.2 (I'm working on a clone copy), and ran userDSDT first, yielding a bootable 10.8.2 disk. I then ran the combo, and I'm back to the video card problem.

I copied the Boot.plist from unibeast and now I have a bootable 10.8.5 with perfect video. The only thing not working is the audio. It seems that the DSDT does more damage than good.

UPDATE: I Re-ran MultiBeast and installed the ALC889a drivers "without DSDT" and now I have a 100% working system. I think that DSDT usage is highly overrated!

UPDATE 2: Sleep works. So I have a P55M-UD4 without DSDT working perfectly with the unibeast org.chameleon.Boot.plist file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back