Motherboard
GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4790k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
thought i'd try to make a new thread because my old one was misleading with updates, so here is the whole thing.

i'm running an i7-4790k into a gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI mobo.
in order to get the chip working i had to first install windows and use atBios to update my mobo's BIOS from F4 to F6 so that it would recognize this CPU. That worked, went on to install Mac OSx high Sierra with Clover and delete windows.

installed fine, but upon testing with geekbench i found that my scores were rather low
4000 single core
13700 multi core

found a thread about someone who was having the same problem with a close build, he solved it by reverting to an older BIOS version, thought i'd try that too, hadn't tried bios version F5.

problem here is that i cannot boot from a USB stick with a windows installer in order to use atBios to update the BIOS, and there's no other way to do it unfortunately (can't use flash bios because of file size thing) really the only way is through windows.
but can't install windows.

also using the clover shell at start up i see that i have so many boot option entries, i tried deleting them with "bcfg boot rm XX" but they keep repopulating upon restarts.

if i try to boot from USB using the F12 boot options key on gigabyte splash screen i get a message that boot device is unrecognized and to insert a new one and press any key.

if i go through Clover and choose Windows UEFI boot USB, i get a black dead screen that says
"BlInitializeLibrary failed 0xc000025"

if i go through Clover and choose Windows boot USB, i get a black screen with a blinking cursor, forever.

What is going on??
all help is appreciated.

thought i'd try to make a new thread because my old one was misleading with updates, so here is the whole thing.

i'm running an i7-4790k into a gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI mobo.
in order to get the chip working i had to first install windows and use atBios to update my mobo's BIOS from F4 to F6 so that it would recognize this CPU. That worked, went on to install Mac OSx high Sierra with Clover and delete windows.

installed fine, but upon testing with geekbench i found that my scores were rather low
4000 single core
13700 multi core

found a thread about someone who was having the same problem with a close build, he solved it by reverting to an older BIOS version, thought i'd try that too, hadn't tried bios version F5.

problem here is that i cannot boot from a USB stick with a windows installer in order to use atBios to update the BIOS, and there's no other way to do it unfortunately (can't use flash bios because of file size thing) really the only way is through windows.
but can't install windows.

also using the clover shell at start up i see that i have so many boot option entries, i tried deleting them with "bcfg boot rm XX" but they keep repopulating upon restarts.

if i try to boot from USB using the F12 boot options key on gigabyte splash screen i get a message that boot device is unrecognized and to insert a new one and press any key.

if i go through Clover and choose Windows UEFI boot USB, i get a black dead screen that says
"BlInitializeLibrary failed 0xc000025"

if i go through Clover and choose Windows boot USB, i get a black screen with a blinking cursor, forever.

What is going on??
all help is appreciated.
try a different usb stick if you can

i was able to boot using a msdos usb stick to update my bios (instead of installing windows) that could be an option for you

try a different usb stick if you can

i was able to boot using a msdos usb stick to update my bios (instead of installing windows) that could be an option for you

for my mobo it seems like that only way to update the bios is through windows using @bios, Q-flash doesn't work because it expects a smaller size file, read a bunch on a forums about people having similar issue, that's why it seems like @bios was the answer.

for my mobo it seems like that only way to update the bios is through windows using @bios, Q-flash doesn't work because it expects a smaller size file, read a bunch on a forums about people having similar issue, that's why it seems like @bios was the answer.
ahhh, ok

as mentioned, try a different usb installer

tried to boot with freedos, got in but couldn't flash to an older BIOS version, says the version i'm trying to install is outdated...
i guess i could try to reset to the backup bios, mobo has dual bios, but there are no switches on this model, it only does it when it needs to, something like that, not sure i want to get further into this, i'm also suspecting the problem with the benchmark scores could be relation to the system definitions, currently is 14,2 imac, i'm confused with the procedure for changing this and i've read about people getting locked out of their system, is there a rock solid tutorial concerning this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back