Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I posted this in the AT forums, but I figure I'd probably get more info here, so this is the original post:

So I'm trying to get my laptop fully functional, but im running into some problems.

It says my laptop should be fully functional here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... bles#GX620

I installed using the iboot cd and installed a retail version of snow leopard. I basically these 2 guides to install: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/...c-os-x-on.html and some of lifehackers guide http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to...ght-easy-steps

Where im running into problems is how to make EVERYTHING work.

firstly- do i need a dsdt file? I just used easybeast when i came to that step. by reading the wiki entry im guessing i dont.

-------------------------
GX620
QE
Install Method: Mac OSX Snow Leopard Retail DVD [10A432].
OSX Version : 10.6 - Kernel 10.0.0 - Chameleon RC3 Bootloader.
CPU: Intel Core2Duo P8400 or P7200 @ 2.26GHz - VANILLA.
Graphic card: Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 - QE/CI work! EFI String - resolution max: 1680x1050.
RAM: 2x2 GB DDR2 800 MHz.
Hard disk: 320GB WD Scorpio Black [7200rpm] SATA.
DVD-RW : Works out of the box.
LAN : Broadcom 440X 10/100 - Works out of the box.
Firewire : IEEE 1394 @ 400 MHz - Works out of the box.
Keyboard/Trackpad/ Fully Working - Used VoodooPS2Controller and AppleACPIPS2Nub.
Sound : HDA : Works with VoodooHDA.kext.
Wireless : Dell 1395 b/g : Works out of the Box.
Bluetooth : Works out of the box.
RICOH 3 in 1 Card Reader : Works with IOSDHCI kext.
Power management : Sleep, restart, Shutdown, Battery icon : Working
Kext used : VoodooHDA - VoodooPS2 - VoodooPower - IOSDHCI - Sleep Enabler - FakeSMC - AppleIntelPIIXATA - (All kext are compiled for Snow Leopard!)
NOT WORKING PARTS - Original Intel b/g/n wireless card. Thats why I replaced it with Dell Wireless.
UPDATE BIOS NORMALLY
Working now with 10.6.4
----------------------

*there is no battery icon in the top right, and no option to turn it on.

*my shutdown sometimes doesn't work.

*Sometimes from a cold boot my wireless adapter wont work, and ill have to restart.

*I have no sound. - it says to use VoodooHDA.kext, but do i have to uninstall something first?

*Not sure if my video card is fully functional - even though it seems like it is. what does this mean "Graphic card: Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 - QE/CI work! EFI String - resolution max: 1680x1050" do i have to use an EFI string or something? (dont even know what that is)

*it says I have no use all these kexts - VoodooHDA - VoodooPS2 - VoodooPower - IOSDHCI - Sleep Enabler - FakeSMC - AppleIntelPIIXATA - (All kext are compiled for Snow Leopard!) some don't really do anything after i install them though.

I feel like im doing something wrong, and i really dont have that much experience with mac/hacktintosh computers. So any help will be appreciated. My 2 biggest probelms right now are the power issues and if i need to do something with an EFI string with my video card.

Ok first things first. A DSDT file is like a software bios that makes the laptop run better. Secondly, be aware that easy beast does not include the voodoo battery kext.

Now what you need to do is the following;

Install the retail version of Snow Leopard with IBoot.
When you log in, Use the Combo update of Apple SL 10.6.5 but do not restart. Instead, load up multibeast. Use multibeast with Easybeast so you can login at first. Now restart and you should boot up.

Go to insanelymac and download the "DSDT Editor" program. Use this program in SL to extract your Bios information. Use the Extract command then select "Fix" to fix your DSDT. After fixing your DSDT, you will want to select "compile" and then save it as DSDT.AML

Place this DSDT.AML file on the desktop of your Mac SL. NOW, you will be able to run USER DSDT from multibeast. You will need to select the appropriate Audio kext with multibeast...when in doubt use Voodoo 2.7.2 Audio.

As far as Graphics, you will need to try out different things. That i can't help you with. BUT, now with your DSDT extracted, you will be able to run things more smoothly.

For more info, just use google. Insanelymac.com has great forum postings that will help guide you some more. At least you are lucky, you have Nvidia graphics....I have ATI and that is hard to get working (but i did...though no QE/CI though but i do have 1920x 1200 graphics...)

Hope this helps.

Just a few questions for ya before I start

If I use easybeast, then can i install that kext i need later for power?

you mention 10.6.5, but 10.6.6 came out a few days ago, should i update to that?

after compiling my own DSDT, do i need to do anymore editing to the DSDT afterwards, or am i all set? And is what you said all I need to do to make my own. It seems a lot easier than i would have thought. I think my guide on the wiki says to use VoodooHDA.kext

I'm a bit confused about graphics, because I think when i update to 10.6.5 it works fine. I don't know how to tell if QE/CI is working, but everything seemed snappy, and even flash videos looked great. Do i need to load any driver for it? I dont fully understand what this means in the wiki
"Graphic card: Nvidia 9600M GT 512MB DDR3 - QE/CI work! EFI String - resolution max: 1680x1050."

thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back