Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Impact Mini ITX
CPU
i5-6600K
Graphics
HD 530 + RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, as the title says, I have a hackintosh built with an ASUS Maximus VIII Impact, a i5 6600K CPU with HD 530 graphics, and a Sapphire RX 580 4Gb card, running Catalina 10.15.1. Monitor is connected to the RX 580 through DVI.

Boots normally, but once I get to the logging screen I get screen artifacts, like single lines of pixels missing from parts of the screen. Seems purely cosmetic, but the real problem is that the machine freezes randomly, which is really annoying. Sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a few minutes. When it freezes, mouse can still move for a few minutes, and sometimes the cursor turns into a "beachball". Only way out is to reboot.

Both GPUs appear in System Report. Everything else works except Wifi and Bluetooth, which are disabled in BIOS. Have latest versions of Lilu and Wathevergreen in L/E/. I have tried both framebuffer patching in device properties, and the old fashioned way using inject intel, with multiple SMBIOS, platform and device id's. Gave up on framebuffer patching, since I couldn't get it to work.

Currently using iMac 17.1, 0x193B0005 as ig-platform-id, and blank intelGFX. I don't think the platform id is for skylake, but this is the only combination which displays both GPUs in System Report, provides GPU acceleration on the RX 580, and seems the most stable so far.

Problem reporting files from this morning attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• debug_4659.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
@berlinerboje. your system should be fine with Hackintosh, using the proper drivers and kexts, you should be fine

@berlinerboje. your system should be fine with Hackintosh, using the proper drivers and kexts, you should be fine
Unfortunately no, I bought the "XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition" because it was listed in the buyer's guide, but my hackintosh crashes and freezes so often with that GPU that it's unusable. I followed the tutorials to my best knowledge and got everything else to run, including audio and usb3 ports - as far as I know, the system should be fine, but of course I might be wrong with that assumption.

The workaround I found is to enable the HD530 in bios, and hook up the monitor to the internal GPU.

I hope the system still uses the RX 580 for number crunching, as it's listed in the system report, but I didn't have time to do any benchmarks.

if you are having crashing and freezing then I am thinking your card may be having issues. those results do not seem typical. I had the same system and when I started having issues with the graphics it was due to graphics card sag, the main board PCIe buss that the card plugged into was the problem, I ended up upgrading.

Hm, yes it makes sense that the card itself is what causes the problem. I will have to test it on a windows or linux system, update the GPU firmware (if such a thing exists) and see if it runs OK. If not, I'll have to return it..

I have two nVMEs in my system without issues

I have two nVMEs in my system without issues
it a random thing , some have problem with it some don't....like my case...it gave me problem like freezing randomly...but when I removed the nvme I have no problem...then I came across a thread those have Samsung 970 evl plus upgrade firmware...everything going well for them..so that what idid....now mine running just fine...it just something that can try...not a guarantee fix...

I have no nvme, in my case the culprit is the XFX vbios. Unfortunately you have to boot Windows in order to flash the RX580 with a vbios that's compatible with MacOS.

..tbh the XFX should be removed from the list of recommended hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back