CPU
Q8200
Graphics
HD 5750
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
urielgin said:
Hello all!
I am working on my first-ever Hackintosh, intended to be a DAW workstation.
It will never perform any heavy duty graphics and I need the cheapest and most reliable GPU I can get that will work as much OOB as possible.

Anyone with experience with a GPU meeting the requirements above?
Help GREATLY appreciated!
:)
Powercolor HD6870

urielgin said:
@Mate94 & All
Thanks for the quick reply! BUT - 1. I am looking for a fanless card and 2. This card is not cheap (it's close to $200 where I'm from)... I'm looking for something in the $50-$60 price range because I'm investing so much money in everything else in this computer....

thanks!
HD6450?

Do you already have the i7-2600? If not, the i7-2600K would give the on-chip HD3000 graphics, which works nicely for me.

Otherwise, the Asus EN210 might fit the bill (check the version in the graphics card DB - I seem to recall only certain sizes of graphics memory work correctly).

urielgin said:
@Mate94

Thanks! The 6450 seems to fit the bill in terms of budget and noise (or rather the lack thereof :) ).. I just hope it works more or less OOB... Do you have experience with it? Jester696's link (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23087) actually contains some positive reference to this card - I think I'll try it (Sapphire 6450 512MB)... What do you think?

@Grimsbymatt
Thanks! First off, I don't own the 2600 yet - I am delaying my purchase until I decide which GPU to buy. I do NOT want to go to the store and back and actually, as I do not live in the states, I can't return the GPU to the store if it's been installed and not working. Also, I do not want to use the built in HD3000 since my CPU's supposed to be dedicated to audio processing. I've read a lot of contradicting opinions about the GT210... I can't get any conclusive result from anyone :( Do you have experience with it?

@jester696
Thanks! But these cards are a bit over my budget... I really have no use for any kind of heavy duty graphics. I am building a dedicated DAW workstation. This means no movies, no games, no Internet, no AV software. Just Logic 9 and other audio editing software.

Thank everyone so much for their help!

There you go.

urielgin said:
Hello all!
I am working on my first-ever Hackintosh, intended to be a DAW workstation.
It will never perform any heavy duty graphics and I need the cheapest and most reliable GPU I can get that will work as much OOB as possible.

Anyone with experience with a GPU meeting the requirements above?
Help GREATLY appreciated!
:)

Use the built in video. I have the same board and am using it for Logic and ProTools and it is working PERFECTLY.

urielgin said:
Thanks everybody! I am going to go ahead and order the hardware trying for the HD6450. I will report back upon success (hopefully). Going to install dualboot Win7/Leopard 10.6.8 for the system listed in my signature.

Wish me luck!

Waste of money. You should upgrade to 10.7.2 and use the built in HD3000 graphics. Logic 9 works perfectly with it. I'm using it with a M-Audio Fasttrack Ultra interface to record. Works like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back