i7-860
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've built my Hackintosh back in November 2009 and would like to upgrade to High Sierra. In preparation for the upgrade, I made the switch from Chimera to Clover and am currently running El Capitan 10.11.6. Although everything works, it's been very sluggish since I switched Bootloaders.

According to HWMonitor, the CPU Cores are running at x9.0/1.20 GHz; previously the CPU cores were running at x22.0/2.93 GHz using the Chimera Bootloader. Is this drop in speed being caused by the lack using a DSDT in Clover? If so, how can I solve the problem? Will one of the SSDT Options in MultiB east work for the Lynnfield Core i7 860 chip that I am using?

Attached are screenshots of my MultiBeast configuration as well as screenshots of HWMonitor pre and post Clover Bootloader switch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruno

MultiBeast 8.2.3 Config.png
Chimera.png Clover.png

I've built my Hackintosh back in November 2009 and would like to upgrade to High Sierra. In preparation for the upgrade, I made the switch from Chimera to Clover and am currently running El Capitan 10.11.6. Although everything works, it's been very sluggish since I switched Bootloaders.
You should use a different system definition.
macOS (High) Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions
According to HWMonitor, the CPU Cores are running at x9.0/1.20 GHz; previously the CPU cores were running at x22.0/2.93 GHz using the Chimera Bootloader. Is this drop in speed being caused by the lack using a DSDT in Clover? If so, how can I solve the problem? Will one of the SSDT Options in MultiB east work for the Lynnfield Core i7 860 chip that I am using?
My Lynnfield system runs macOS Sierra 10.12.6 with an iMac11,3 system definition and no DSDT or SSDT.
CPU's are running x9.0/1.20 Ghz at idle, and x27/3.59 Ghz under load.

SS1.png SS2.png

I don't have the same MB (but similar generation), and use Mac Pro 5,1 definitions and DSDT from https://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt-database and my CPU seems to work fine. No special SSDT. For whatever reason the cpu fan is more aggressive and louder in High Sierra than Sierra though. (at exactly the same temperatures that is). For install of High Sierra I used Mac Pro 6,1 definitions but then CPU kept running at 1.2GHz. I went back to 5,1 and CPU was at full speed again. Same system and same clover config, as I dual boot. iMac 11,x didn't work well for me, for several reasons that I have now forgotten. Probably USB and possibly CPU speed.

If you're coming from El Capitan I actually recommend going to Sierra first, it seems easier to get running in a stable way. Unless you need something High Sierra does better, such as support for heif/heic/hevc images/videos from latest iphones.

You should use a different system definition.
macOS (High) Sierra Does NOT Boot with MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 System Definitions

My Lynnfield system runs macOS Sierra 10.12.6 with an iMac11,3 system definition and no DSDT or SSDT.
CPU's are running x9.0/1.20 Ghz at idle, and x27/3.59 Ghz under load.

View attachment 297024 View attachment 297025

Thanks so much for the reply! I was going to switch the system definitions from MacPro 3,1 before upgrading, but wanted to get the slow CPU speed problem squared away first.

Other than running a bunch of programs at once, how did you simulate "load" conditions on your Hackintosh? I had GeekBench running while checking the CPU speeds on HWMonitor and the CPU speeds never budged from x9.0/1.20 GHz

Can you post your MultiBeast settings or look at mine and see if I am perhaps missing something vital which is leading to the slow CPU speeds?

Thank you in advance,

Bruno

I don't have the same MB (but similar generation), and use Mac Pro 5,1 definitions and DSDT from https://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt-database and my CPU seems to work fine. No special SSDT. For whatever reason the cpu fan is more aggressive and louder in High Sierra than Sierra though. (at exactly the same temperatures that is). For install of High Sierra I used Mac Pro 6,1 definitions but then CPU kept running at 1.2GHz. I went back to 5,1 and CPU was at full speed again. Same system and same clover config, as I dual boot. iMac 11,x didn't work well for me, for several reasons that I have now forgotten. Probably USB and possibly CPU speed.

If you're coming from El Capitan I actually recommend going to Sierra first, it seems easier to get running in a stable way. Unless you need something High Sierra does better, such as support for heif/heic/hevc images/videos from latest iphones.

Thanks for the reply! Did you put the DSDT file in EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder without any modifications at all? The post below implies that changes to the DSDT are needed first or USB/Audio won't work properly:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...2-core-i5-750-amd-hd6350.207881/#post-1375882

Other than the System Definitions, do my MultiBeast settings look right to you? Did you include/skip any setting that I have?

Thanks again for posting; both you and BreBo have given me new info that I can work with.

Bruno

iBruno, i recommend for you to check GEneratePStates (CStates) in Clover to get full performance!
A have Mb with the same Chip (ASUS P55)
You are working on idle (1.2Ghz) because you MacOS Biuld did not know other P states, that are used for CPU (SpeedStep nanalog)
SSDT is not accessible for P55 motherboard, they are Lynnfield CPU's.
SSDT is able to use only for SandyBridge and higher!

10.12 is fully working on P55 (both MacPro5,1 + iMac11,3 SMBIOS defenitions)
But 10.13 is greatly unstable for me... Random freezes and lags any time

how did you simulate "load" conditions on your Hackintosh? I had GeekBench running while checking the CPU speeds on HWMonitor
Same here, I had GeekBench running.
Can you post your MultiBeast settings or look at mine and see if I am perhaps missing something vital which is leading to the slow CPU speeds?
Did you try Clover with a DSDT for your motherboard from the DSDT database?
There are DSDT's available for GA-P55M-UD2 with BIOS F9f, F10 and F11

iBruno, i recommend for you to check GEneratePStates (CStates) in Clover to get full performance!
A have Mb with the same Chip (ASUS P55)
You are working on idle (1.2Ghz) because you MacOS Biuld did not know other P states, that are used for CPU (SpeedStep nanalog)
SSDT is not accessible for P55 motherboard, they are Lynnfield CPU's.
SSDT is able to use only for SandyBridge and higher!

10.12 is fully working on P55 (both MacPro5,1 + iMac11,3 SMBIOS defenitions)
But 10.13 is greatly unstable for me... Random freezes and lags any time

Thanks for the info; I checked off both Generate PStates and CStates in Clover Configurator but nothing happened.

Can you please help with how I can turn these settings on in Clover Configurator? I don't think that I did it correctly...

Same here, I had GeekBench running.

Did you try Clover with a DSDT for your motherboard from the DSDT database?
There are DSDT's available for GA-P55M-UD2 with BIOS F9f, F10 and F11

Yes, since my last post I have put the DSDT file from the DSDT database into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder but there was no change in the CPU speeds. Also, the unedited DSDT from the DSDT Database killed my audio, but the edited DSDT file from this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...2-core-i5-750-amd-hd6350.207881/#post-1375882

fixed that problem. But my CPU speeds are still stuck at x9/1.20GHz.

Any ideas on what else I can do to fix this? You had mentioned that you were not using a DSDT file; are there any other edits/additions that you made to your system that you can think of? Or have you only used the basic UniBeast/MultiBeast install tools?

I am now using a DSDT for my MB from the DSDT database but my CPU speeds are still stuck at x9/1.20GHz. I have even changed my System Definitions from MacPro 3,1 to MacPro 5,1 but that has not helped.

Any other ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back