Motherboard
Maximus IX Hero
CPU
Intel i7-7700K
Graphics
On-board
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I had to change things up a bit so making a new thread (Previous one was about the PSU mod and after some input and research I think I'm going to put an ATX PSU inside G5 PSU case rather than reuse G5 PSU)

So, going to put an i7-7700K (need advice on cooling. Want to go liquid but need to figure out fan placement)
Asus Maximus IX Hero
Corsair HX750 (Want to put the HX750 PSU inside G5 PSU to give it an original look and utilize the plug in the back)
Reusing an old graphics card I have (don't really play any games, just need to power 3 monitors - might not even use a GPU)

Will buy the brackets and front panel conversion kit from laser hive to help finish up the mod (need to decide on 120 High or original kit - depends on type of fans)

Wanted to keep it as close to original as possible (keeping the fan covers from G5 with new fans, and etc) however, I am ready to make compromises to make it a successful build.

So my only concern is cooling atm. I will update the 2 fans on the PSU to keep the Corsair internals cool inside of the case. Wanted to go with a liquid cooling but don't really know much about PC cooling so I have some questions:
  • Should I use 2 140mm fans in the front of the case, one 120mm in the back? Then where do I mount the liquid cooling radiator?
  • Can I swap out the front 2 140mm fans with the liquid cooling radiator? Would that result in less airflow inside the case?
  • Should I abandon liquid cooling, go with air cooled system thus having 2 140mm in the front, air cooled CPU fan in the middle, and 1 120mm in the back
  • is 120mm in the back better than 2 smaller fans (like the G5 had) so I can decide between 120 high kit from laserhive or the original kit and keep the G5 fan mounts, maybe?

I had to change things up a bit so making a new thread (Previous one was about the PSU mod and after some input and research I think I'm going to put an ATX PSU inside G5 PSU case rather than reuse G5 PSU)

So, going to put an i7-7700K (need advice on cooling. Want to go liquid but need to figure out fan placement)
Asus Maximus IX Hero
Corsair HX750 (Want to put the HX750 PSU inside G5 PSU to give it an original look and utilize the plug in the back)
Reusing an old graphics card I have (don't really play any games, just need to power 3 monitors - might not even use a GPU)

Will buy the brackets and front panel conversion kit from laser hive to help finish up the mod (need to decide on 120 High or original kit - depends on type of fans)

Wanted to keep it as close to original as possible (keeping the fan covers from G5 with new fans, and etc) however, I am ready to make compromises to make it a successful build.

So my only concern is cooling atm. I will update the 2 fans on the PSU to keep the Corsair internals cool inside of the case. Wanted to go with a liquid cooling but don't really know much about PC cooling so I have some questions:
  • Should I use 2 140mm fans in the front of the case, one 120mm in the back? Then where do I mount the liquid cooling radiator?
  • Can I swap out the front 2 140mm fans with the liquid cooling radiator? Would that result in less airflow inside the case?
  • Should I abandon liquid cooling, go with air cooled system thus having 2 140mm in the front, air cooled CPU fan in the middle, and 1 120mm in the back
  • is 120mm in the back better than 2 smaller fans (like the G5 had) so I can decide between 120 high kit from laserhive or the original kit and keep the G5 fan mounts, maybe?

I would think that the PSU is way more then what is needed. And less is better on fans in a G5 case. Most people put too many fans in the case.

I would stand your radiator up in the front of the system blow air into the system and making sure the air path is un-obstructed to the rear. For example see my SOS project: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-slow-roll-g5-power-mac-system-on-slides.129400/ This was with an i7-3770K and worked great without additional fans.

Good modding,
neil

I would think that the PSU is way more then what is needed. And less is better on fans in a G5 case. Most people put too many fans in the case.

I would stand your radiator up in the front of the system blow air into the system and making sure the air path is un-obstructed to the rear. For example see my SOS project: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-slow-roll-g5-power-mac-system-on-slides.129400/ This was with an i7-3770K and worked great without additional fans.

Good modding,
neil

I got the 750 because it is a platinum level which means more efficiency and less heat inside the G5 PSU case (might be wrong) also got it because of future potential in case i add a good video card. When I researched the PSU requirements of my system with a powerful graphics card it needed around 702W. Is it a problem having a 750W PSU when you don't need it? Would it cause issues with cooling using the 2 60mm fans on the G5 PSU case?

I checked out your build and it looks awesome. Does the radiator in the front have an extra fan attached to it or does it come like that with 2 fans on both sides?

I was considering getting a radiator with 2 120mm fans:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EXSSBG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Can I put this in the front of the case and have one 120mm fan in the back? Would it provide a sufficient amount of cooling?

I got the 750 because it is a platinum level which means more efficiency and less heat inside the G5 PSU case (might be wrong) also got it because of future potential in case i add a good video card. When I researched the PSU requirements of my system with a powerful graphics card it needed around 702W. Is it a problem having a 750W PSU when you don't need it? Would it cause issues with cooling using the 2 60mm fans on the G5 PSU case?

I checked out your build and it looks awesome. Does the radiator in the front have an extra fan attached to it or does it come like that with 2 fans on both sides?

I was considering getting a radiator with 2 120mm fans:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019EXSSBG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Can I put this in the front of the case and have one 120mm fan in the back? Would it provide a sufficient amount of cooling?

It is acceptable to use a larger PSU then needed as they only deliver the power needed. This probably means about 300 watts in your case doing normal operations with plenty of up-side potential in reserve.

My current favorite AOI CPU cooler is the Silverstone Tundra Series, TD02-E as I have used it in two projects (see: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...x58-ud3r-into-a-prodigy-mini-itx-case.168344/ and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-first-kaby-lake-scratch-build-case-project.214467/ ). In the first case, I have the fans blowing through the case towards the rear, pulling air through the rad with no exhaust fans. In the second I have the fans pushing air up through the rad with no additional in take fans (although the small PSU draws air in from above the motherboard and exhausts out the back).

And to answer your question about the SOS with the push/pull fans is that I don't recall if both fans came in the kit. However I have done this push/pull on several system and it works well.

I recommend starting with the minimum number of fans and add more if needed. All of my builds have to run 1 hour thermal stress test (see Prime95 Torture Test) to meet my acceptance tests.

Good modding,
neil

I'm pretty much going though all this stuff right now and im mounting a 240mm rad in the front with 2 fans to cool a 7700k and 1080ti on the one rad, if the temps are to high im going to put a slim 120mm rad in the back of the case going between the cpu and gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back