Contribute
Register

Help with editing processor section in DSDT (Noob!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel i5 3570K
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm relatively new to this Hackintosh-ing business, but have been a bit of a computer-building hobby-ist for a while, so thought that I'd give it a go. I've managed to get SL installed on my system pretty much fine (shutdown and reboot are a bit temperamental and the occasional crash still happens every now and then) but I'm still having to boot with the CD as opposed to booting from Chameleon on my HD. When I boot from Chameleon I get the _CST evaluation failed error, which, so I've looked up, means that I need to re-write my processor section in the DSDT - something to do with c-states? I have already got a p-state calculator, if that helps.

I've followed a tutorial on insanelymac.com (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=181631) but to no avail - and I'm aware that this is speedstepping as opposed to what I really need to do. I was just wondering if anyone could lend me a hand - or if not explain, just point me in the right direction :)

Sorry if this is a really noobish / hard-to-answer-simply question, but I'd really love to learn how to sort my own DSDT out and get my SL install working as well as I can :) (I also need to get the Chameleon boot working if I have any hope of enabling QE/CI for my graphics card!)

Thanks in advance! (Anything needed: info, dsdt.dsl files, etc., let me know)

Config:
Asus P5KPL SE
Intel Dual Core 3.0GHz E8400
250GB SATA HD (Seagate)
ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB
Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.2

install using iboot and multibeast from the installation threads....much easier mate ;)

Safira-San said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance! (Anything needed: info, dsdt.dsl files, etc., let me know)

More specifically, if you are using iMac 11,1 (or 9,1) as model identifier in smbios.plist, then you get speedstep w/o needing any DSDT processor changes. AFAIK, you only need to worry about DSDT processor stuff if for other reasons you wanted to use iMac 4,1 as model, or you are into changing the default speedstep parameters (or perhaps of you are into serious OC tweaking stuff?).

Thank you for the replies, guys :) If I had known about MultiBeast before doing my install then I probably would have used that, but since I've installed OS X already I would prefer to modify my existing installation than install afresh - sheerly for convenience; but I will definitely bear that in mind for future reference.

With regard to the model identifier, do I just need to download a ready-made iMac9,11 / iMac 11,1 smbios.plist and stick it in my \Extras folder? I'm not particularly interested in overclocking; I just wanted a method that would get rid of the _CST error and allow me to boot! (The speedstepping tutorial was the most relevant thing that showed up in Google on the first search.) So, I need to edit strings for my motherboard / processor / graphics card as well, or just use a pre-made one for iMac11,1? And will this work with PC EFI? (I'm using the latest version from netkas; it has support for my graphics card, apparently).

As a sidenote, too: will modifying this help to get my reboot / shutdown working or do I need to do something different for that?

Thanks again and sorry for the numerous questions! I'll let you know how I get on :)

Multibeast won't change any of your OSX system files, it just allows you to install Chameleon and generate an /Extra folder with various configuration files you need may or may not need anyway (kexts, smbios, etc).

Tonymac's blog has several DSDT files available for download as well as one you can use to help edit your own that serves as a template for various fixes and tweaks....

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the clarification ne0shell - would you recommend installing MultiBeast? I was under the impression that it only works for P55 motherboards and mine isn't - does this matter? Additionally, I had a look in the DSDT database and all DSDTs are for P55 motherboards...

@humph: I have edited my smbios.plist, but doesn't this just change what you see in the system identifier? I've put all my processor information in and stuff, but I'm still getting the _CST evaluation failed error :p

Regards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back