Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Help with building Hackintosh for video editing

This is a thread to create the correct shopping list for a solid video and photo editing rig.

Background and main use: I mainly use FCPx, Adobe CS6 Photoshop and Premiere Pro, Lightroom. I plan to learn a bit of Motion/ AfterEffects, too. I might also add a Windows boot in the future.
I am only relatively technically inclined but have friends who have experience building windows computers. They will help me follow the instructions here.
I would appreciate opinions on whether the parts I picked are good for editing. I can foresee that in a couple years I will be shooting 4K too, and if work goes alright get another monitor that supports 4K or higher by then.

Proposed rig:
My own MacBook Pro (2011) works just fine but it's too slow.
I have looked into tonymac's guides and made a parts list from the CustoMac Pro list, modified to the below list after some initial feedback.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core ($379.99 )
  • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3 ATX LGA2011-3 ($203.98)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($339.99 )
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($189.99)
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" SSD ($158.97)
  • Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM (RAID 0) ($82.71 each)
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid ($59.99 )
  • Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 ($5.98 )
  • Case Fan: Corsair SP120 Quiet Edt (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm ($27.89 )
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ ($106.24 )
  • Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n ($36.99)
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower ($107.99 )
----- OR : NZXT s340 Case (white)
----- OR : Corsair Carbide 500R

• Monitor: Asus PB278Q 50/60Hz 27.0" ($399.99 I already own this)
  • Keyboard: Logitech Wireless K750 ($53.91 I already own this too)

Once I confirm the parts, hopefully with some help from here, I will then proceed to find the best purchasing method, which is a challenge, since I live on the island of Cyprus. My research shows me that buying from the US will come to about the same price or less than buying from Europe even including shipment and tax, and with the advantage of having more parts in the US market.

Here is the nutshell of the good advice I received so far:

• the rig has some flexibility for future upgrades.
  • it will be easier to upgrade the GPU than CPU
  • the CPU and Mobo are good to create a workstation, hence outside the Customac Pro list which is relatively consumer level.
  • in terms of software update after the install: standalone apps are OK to update, but for OS X updates, I should check tonymac before doing that.

questions:

• is the general setup good?
  • any place where I can cut down on the cost? (e.g. 16GB RAM instead of 32GB?)
  • I found only a handful of places to buy Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3, which seems to be discontinued according to B&H. Is that something I should avoid buying?
  • Would it better to go with GA-X99-UD4? (I don't know the difference, I just saw on tonymac someone using the -UD4 with a very similar set up, which could be a helping example to follow).
  • Would my setup work fine with 50 or 60hz and 100-240V or do I need to make sure I buy a specific power supply for my country (50hz 240V)?
  • Is it problematic if, to save money, I choose to install the Seagate drives and Raid 0 at a later date? Same with liquid cooler. I find that their prices are quite high in Europe if I will buy from there.
  • any further buying advice to make sure I manage to get it all shipped to me in one box to avoid international shipping costs?

thanks in advance,
inca

Last edited:
The UD4 is better, but I too am looking to put together a similar setup (a little more powerful) and I can't find anywhere to buy it. The X99 Deluxe from ASUS was also known to be compatible but funnily enough (and by that I mean I'm still mad) it looks like it got discontinued a day or two ago.

The UD4 is better, but I too am looking to put together a similar setup (a little more powerful) and I can't find anywhere to buy it. The X99 Deluxe from ASUS was also known to be compatible but funnily enough (and by that I mean I'm still mad) it looks like it got discontinued a day or two ago.

The Asus X99 Deluxe model is still available:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132506&cm_re=x99-deluxe-_-13-132-506-_-Product

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-2011-3-Motherboards-X99-DELUXE-U3-1/dp/B00TXBP1OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447270551&sr=8-1&keywords=x99+deluxe

For anyone in N. America, still looking for an X99-UD4 there is still one left on Amazon (new) for
under 300 dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GA-X99-UD4-DDR4-SATA-EXPRESS/dp/B00OSE3F74/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447270736&sr=1-8&keywords=x99-ud4

just wondering if there might be some others' opinions about my set up and questions.

just wondering if there might be some others' opinions about my set up and questions.

Yes, take a look at some of the X99 User Builds so that you know what you're getting into before you put down that much money for all the hardware. Will take a lot of study, time and research to get your X99 system working 100 %.

Yes, take a look at some of the X99 User Builds so that you know what you're getting into before you put down that much money for all the hardware. Will take a lot of study, time and research to get your X99 system working 100 %.

thanks. I also realized there are a couple new informational posts in the buying advise forum that suggests going with z97x.

I didn't know that the x99 would take a lot of study. I don't mind doing that but I also realize it will be my first build.
I was suggested to go with x99 instead of z97x because the former has more upgrade possibilities in the future.

I'm also planning on an X99 Build 5820k and have been looking for a UD4 here in the UK, I did however come across an article recently http://imgur.com/a/Yqg65 who used the UD4P with everything working fine except audio..

From what I understand, the UD4P is more improved over the older UD4 which also includes a Bios Backup chip..

I would go for the UD4P myself but would like to see a few more successful builds till I grab 1!

Noodlez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back