Contribute
Register

Help with booting - only works with usb stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob you have been the most unhelpful and rude person I have come across in these forums that up until now have been filled with kind people. I answered your questions and you respond with vague I'm done. Why bother posting at all if your intent is to only give people the run around. I guess that's the down side of the internet, people hide behind a keyboard and feel free to treat others like crap.

Hopefully there are other people out there who can be a lot nicer than bob the confused fruit/vegetable.

How about you find another site for your FREE support? Reread this thread and try to put yourself on the other side. When you respond to specific questions about what settings you used and respond with "I read what other people with the same MB did and copied them"......what part of "vague" do you not understand?

How about you find another site for your FREE support? Reread this thread and try to put yourself on the other side. When you respond to specific questions about what settings you used and respond with "I read what other people with the same MB did and copied them"......what part of "vague" do you not understand?

Vague in this context is an opinion. I answered the question to the best of my ability. If someone considers that vague, it is their judgement, not the truth. What I said about copied other peoples settings I then followed up with what I actually did which was select DSDT free and only the audio drivers. That's it - nothing more. If someone stopped reading after "copied other peoples settings" then it would appear as vague. I'll re-iterate - all I did was DSDT free and set the audio settings. That's it - that's what I copied from others peoples settings.

I'm not complaining about free "support". Where I can help others I will, that's what makes a community flourish. I know tons of people have this same issue but I cannot find somewhere where the answer makes sense. Had this thread been a place where the solution was found I could go around pointing others here. When we have more people helping and less people putting others down we grow as a site and a civilization. I don't stand for people treating others with a lack of respect simply because one persons interprets a comment as "vague".

Let's keep this thread on topic. If you are able to help, great! Let's get a solution going so others can enjoy the benefit too. Bob the tomato doesn't have capacity to help out, and that's fine but let's stay on topic as per forum rules. When I do figure it out, I will help others and not put people down who don't understand my instructions.

Allrighty now. The US Supreme Court ruled that the Tomato is a Fruit so I'm not confused....

To be as polite as I can be, the following is the kind of information that ANYONE on this site would need in order to give you help...

1) Exact mainboard model - Check, you did that - a Z77X-UD3H
2) Processor? no clue
3) GPU? On-board or separate card? No clue
4) MultiBeast settings? No clue
5) BIOS settings? No Clue
6) Answers? No Clue.

I'm not being rude but you are still being VERY vague, it's not an opinion, it's reality.
I'll keep trying to help you if you want me to, but try to look at it from my point of view - I need data, if you want me to guess I could do that but it won't be of much help.

/Tomato the uncommon fruit.

Since I hate software based boot loaders with a passion and before I committed to OSX as my main platform I only ever used the F12 method to choose the HD I wanted to boot from. I want COMPLETE separation of my installed operating systems. It is 1 or 2 extra key presses as opposed to a software bootloader but really, how often are you bouncing between OS's? I solved the issue entirely after deciding on OSX as my daily OS that I now run Windows in VMWare as I use it so little anymore.

My suggestion if you can live with it is to physically disconnect all drives except your OSX drive. Boot from Unibeast then select the OSX drive and boot from that. Install Chimera and remove the Unibeast stick then reboot to confirm it does boot.

Plug all the drives back in and use F12 to select either your Windows or OSX drive to boot from.

Allrighty now. The US Supreme Court ruled that the Tomato is a Fruit so I'm not confused....

To be as polite as I can be, the following is the kind of information that ANYONE on this site would need in order to give you help...

1) Exact mainboard model - Check, you did that - a Z77X-UD3H
2) Processor? no clue
3) GPU? On-board or separate card? No clue
4) MultiBeast settings? No clue
5) BIOS settings? No Clue
6) Answers? No Clue.

I'm not being rude but you are still being VERY vague, it's not an opinion, it's reality.
I'll keep trying to help you if you want me to, but try to look at it from my point of view - I need data, if you want me to guess I could do that but it won't be of much help.

/Tomato the uncommon fruit.

lol sorry Bob. Yes I would still appreciate the help.

2. Processor: Core i7 3770k
3. GPU: Radeon 7870hd
4. MultiBeast settings: DSDT free / AC898 / bootloader:chimera 2.2.1 /
customize: generate cpu states, hibernation mode=desktop, use kernel cache, graphic enabler yes, 1080p display mode
5. BIOS settings: version F18. I loaded optimal values before installing and left them like that.
6. I don't understand this one.

Since I hate software based boot loaders with a passion and before I committed to OSX as my main platform I only ever used the F12 method to choose the HD I wanted to boot from. I want COMPLETE separation of my installed operating systems. It is 1 or 2 extra key presses as opposed to a software bootloader but really, how often are you bouncing between OS's? I solved the issue entirely after deciding on OSX as my daily OS that I now run Windows in VMWare as I use it so little anymore.

My suggestion if you can live with it is to physically disconnect all drives except your OSX drive. Boot from Unibeast then select the OSX drive and boot from that. Install Chimera and remove the Unibeast stick then reboot to confirm it does boot.

Plug all the drives back in and use F12 to select either your Windows or OSX drive to boot from.

I like this method. I'm trying to cut down the steps. Right now after I press F12, I have to hit 3 keys to pick the USB drive, then the bootloader shows up and I have to go 4 right to the Mavericks drive, and then it boots up. I know 7 keys what's the big deal but if it can be better, why not.

I'd like for it to automatically go to OS X since I use it more often and if I can just hit F12 to select the windows drive when I need it, that would be perfect.

Will loading optimal settings set your SATA mode to AHCI without you having to do it manually?

I'd like for it to automatically go to OS X since I use it more often and if I can just hit F12 to select the windows drive when I need it, that would be perfect.

Exactly how I had my setup running before deciding to run Windows as a virtual machine.

Exactly how I had my setup running before deciding to run Windows as a virtual machine.

There is hope after all! When I set it to optimal settings I still had to press F12 to select the USB drive or Mavericks wouldn't boot.

There is hope after all! When I set it to optimal settings I still had to press F12 to select the USB drive or Mavericks wouldn't boot.

Pressing F12 to select a boot device has nothing to do with how you've set up your BIOS. Are you certain you have AHCI set? Are you running a UEFI or standard Award BIOS? Either way, I'm 99.9% sure you have to specifically set AHCI in either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back