Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Laptop MB CM238 chipset
CPU
i7-7820HK
Graphics
GTX 1080 8GB
OK, So I know I already posted something about this, but this time my issue is different, and I have a better bearing on my issue. I created a battery patch that worked for my computer, patched the DSDT, then added in ACPIBatteryManager.kext, and got everything to work. The issue comes when I try to do the hotpatch. I felt really confident that I had done properly, but when I try to boot it up, I get a ton off ACPI errors related to _BIF and _BST, which I happened to notice was mentioned in the original battery patching guide. On top of this, no matter what I do, I always get an ACPI error related to UPBS. This persists no matter how many files I modify, remove, or add, and through a bunch of EC resets. If anyone smarter than me has any idea what I'm doing wrong, please give me some insight.

Attachments

• debug_31900.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 288
  • Files I'm working with.zip
    772.7 KB · Views: 125
OK, So I know I already posted something about this, but this time my issue is different, and I have a better bearing on my issue. I created a battery patch that worked for my computer, patched the DSDT, then added in ACPIBatteryManager.kext, and got everything to work. The issue comes when I try to do the hotpatch. I felt really confident that I had done properly, but when I try to boot it up, I get a ton off ACPI errors related to _BIF and _BST, which I happened to notice was mentioned in the original battery patching guide. On top of this, no matter what I do, I always get an ACPI error related to UPBS. This persists no matter how many files I modify, remove, or add, and through a bunch of EC resets. If anyone smarter than me has any idea what I'm doing wrong, please give me some insight.

Sanity check is to disassemble patchmatic output with: iasl -da -dl *.aml

Your files don't pass this basic sanity check...

Sanity check is to disassemble patchmatic output with: iasl -da -dl *.aml

Your files don't pass this basic sanity check...
Wouldn't I use iasl -dl *.aml since I have a Kaby Lake CPU?

It looks like I made errors from the very start of the file, it's saying
Code:
Firmware Error (ACPI): Failure creating [\_SB.WMID], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180427/dswload-498)
even though I have it declared as an external. This being the case, what should I do? looking in the hotpatch guide, it only says to look out for symbols, but I failed to find anything stating what I should do about it.

The -da flag is important to discover duplicate objects (for 'sanity check').
Also, why do in other hotpatches do we not include the scopes, whereas in the battery hotpach we do? Shouldn't we just be adding in the patched methods with the external references needed for them to work then redirecting the call sites back to the patched methods?

why do in other hotpatches do we not include the scopes,

No idea what you're referring to.
If you have a specific question regarding ACPI, you must provide details.

It looks like I made errors from the very start of the file, it's saying
Code:
Firmware Error (ACPI): Failure creating [\_SB.WMID], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180427/dswload-498)
even though I have it declared as an external. This being the case, what should I do? looking in the hotpatch guide, it only says to look out for symbols, but I failed to find anything stating what I should do about it.

The error indicates you have defined a symbol more than once (eg. duplicate).
If it is a duplicate not present in ACPI/origin, then it is a new error you introduced with your hotpatch.
Investigate accordingly.

The error indicates you have defined a symbol more than once (eg. duplicate).
If it is a duplicate not present in ACPI/origin, then it is a new error you introduced with your hotpatch.
Investigate accordingly.
The device is in my DSDT. I'm patching the method from it that changes when I apply the battery patch. The patch guide says to keep the methods in the scopes for the hotpatch and to declare the scope as an external, no?

The device is in my DSDT. I'm patching the method from it that changes when I apply the battery patch. The patch guide says to keep the methods in the scopes for the hotpatch and to declare the scope as an external, no?

Any device or method you plan to replace in hotpatch SSDTs must be renamed in DSDT to avoid conflicts.
Refer to the ACPI hotpatch guide. Read/understand carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back