Motherboard
Maximus IX Hero
CPU
Intel i7-7700K
Graphics
On-board
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I was given an old G5 and I really like the case. So wanted to build a Hackintosh on a budget:

i5-6500 3.2ghz
Asus Z170-K
No graphics card (Don't really do any gaming or heavy video/image editing) - only need to connect 2 to 3 monitors.
Some SSDs and DVD-RW (so the DVD caddy is functional)
Reuse G5 PSU so everything sits flush

Wanted to use the G5 PSU since the one I got has a decent one in it and don't want to cut the bottom of the case to fit an ATX PSU. I am currently trying to figure out how to do an ATX cable swap but since I have never done this before I am a bit lost in terms of which cables to use from a donor ATX PSU and etc. Would appreciate all the help I can get in PSU mods. Links I found only shows the diagrams and overall pictures of all the cables connected. I would need something more detailed to know how to connect which cables to which cables, etc. Also not sure on what to do when I have fewer cables coming out of the G5 PSU than I need in the ATX cables (ex. if I have 10 yellow cables from G5 but need 13 to go to the new ATX cables)

What do you guys think? Any help will be greatly appreciated so I can build this beast

Last edited:
So I was given an old G5 and I really like the case. So wanted to build a Hackintosh on a budget:

i5-6500 3.2ghz
Asus Z170-K
No graphics card (Don't really do any gaming or heavy video/image editing) - only need to connect 2 to 3 monitors.
Some SSDs and DVD-RW (so the DVD caddy is functional)
Reuse G5 PSU so everything sits flush

Wanted to use the G5 PSU since the one I got has a decent one in it and don't want to cut the bottom of the case to fit an ATX PSU. I am currently trying to figure out how to do an ATX cable swap but since I have never done this before I am a bit lost in terms of which cables to use from a donor ATX PSU and etc. Would appreciate all the help I can get in PSU mods. Links I found only shows the diagrams and overall pictures of all the cables connected. I would need something more detailed to know how to connect which cables to which cables, etc. Also not sure on what to do when I have fewer cables coming out of the G5 PSU than I need in the ATX cables (ex. if I have 10 yellow cables from G5 but need 13 to go to the new ATX cables)

What do you guys think? Any help will be greatly appreciated so I can build this beast

Well it is generally not recommended to use old tech PSUs with current tech CPUs and motherboards. The old PSUs do not meet the current specs that Intel set out along with the release of the Haswell CPUs (if memory serves).

I have done a few G5 Power Mac and MacPro projects and one time I actually grafted an ATX power harness to the G5 PSU harness and almost had it working. The issue that I ran into was coming up with a fake power good signal that worked every time.

And if you attempt this conversion, you will want to purchase a PSU tester to confirm your conversion before using the converted PSU on your system.

Good modding,
neil

If you don't want to make a hole in the bottom of the case, you could always fit the internals of an atx power supply in the G5 enclosure. I don't remember who posted it here but I know there is is a couple of examples around here.

If you don't want to make a hole in the bottom of the case, you could always fit the internals of an atx power supply in the G5 enclosure. I don't remember who posted it here but I know there is is a couple of examples around here.

That sounds like a doable thing.

Update: In the meantime I changed things up a bit. I am going with i7-7700K with Asus Maximus IX Hero and going to get 750W Platinum (I know a bit overkill) and put it inside the G5 PSU case. I picked the Platinum so it has the best efficiency to account for different fan setup (on the side).

Let me know what you guys think. If worst comes to worst I might need to keep the PSU intact (I really was hoping to put it inside the G5 PSU to keep the set up as close to OG as possible)

750W PSU?! For a HERO and i7 and no graphics card?! OMG your case is gong to hot, hot, hot. I recommend you use one the available PSU wattage calculators one the 'Net. Here's Newegg's > Newegg.com - Power Supply Calculator.

See also this Google search > https://www.google.com/search?q=power+supply+calculatorSee also this Google search > https://www.google.com/search?q=power+supply+calculator

BTW, I'm using a 550 watt PSU in my Mac Pro case mod. I'm using a Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H, i7-4770K, two SSDs and a GTX 760 graphics card.

Well, no graphics card for now. In the future, I might add one in case i change directions, so wanted to account for that.
When I put a powerful GPU with my setup, suggested wattage comes out to be 702W. (I will have around 24gb SSD and 3TB HDD as well). Since I want to put the PSU inside the G5 PSU case wanted to select one that won't require me to upgrade in the future.

Cooling is my main issue atm. I am making another thread to help me with cooling. Wanted to go with liquid cooling for the i7 and have as many fans as I can to keep everything cooled. Especially with a PSU like that cramped up in the G5 PSU case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back