Contribute
Register

Help! Which Motherboard should I get? I have everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I purchased all my parts a few days ago only to find out that the MOBO (GA-Z170X-UD5 TH) I chose was discontinued and the company made a mistake in saying it was in stock. Now I have all my parts minus the MOBO. I need to get a new board and get cracking on my system. I'm using it for editing and effects, want 4k (does HDMI 2.0 matter from the MOBO?), want to game as well. Also would like to play with M.2 in the future...

The boards I'm looking at now:

Asus -
Sabertooth tuf M1
Hero

Gigabyte -
GA-Gaming 7
GA-Z170X-UD5
GA-Z170-SLI

Here's what I already have:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
2x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
NZXT Hue+ RGB Colour Changing Internal LED Controller

This is my first build and although I'm learning a lot and getting the hang of this, I'd like a fairly straight-forward build process with a guide as to avoid any crazy road blocks as much as possible.

Having trouble figuring out my best option after already thinking I had found it. Apparently Gigabyte is coming out with the new version of the Z170X-UD boards in a couple months (I called the manufacturer) and wondering if maybe waiting for those could be an option, or if it's too new on the market to mess with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice list! I wish I was that far along on my new build. I'm planning on getting a ASUS Hero for my motherboard after reading Stork's Hero build write up in the "Golden Builds" forum.

Thanks, Pal! Yeah, that card and Stork's build is definitely an option. I'd really like to have a guide to follow and have as much of the same in that list as possible, but the Asus boards look great, so maybe deviating a bit is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back