Contribute
Register

-HELP- Weird ring like blur and images in Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we still need to spoof Skylake graphics? In my case, spoofing it get rid of the weird blur, but causes some stuttering on the image when using HDMI or DP to HDMI.

Worth mention that the same happens to HDMI output if I use Kaby Lake’s HD 620 (my laptop has an Intel HD 620), so I use HD 615 and I don’t have that problem with HDMI and everything works fine except for that blurry-weird-gradients on the laptop’s screen.

It seems that I have to choose one thing and can’t have both: either I solve the blur problem but have HDMI problems, or I fix HDMI but have blur on the laptop’s screen.

I tried that boot argument, but it seems there is a lack of info about it. I understand it’s not just adding it as is, right? I have to add something else with it. What is it? I tried igfxfcmsfbs=0x010203 as in some example but nothing changed.

Yes as for me didn't find any better solution so i ended rolling back to high Sierra in which HD620 graphics have not this problem

Yes as for me didn't find any better solution so i ended rolling back to high Sierra in which HD620 graphics have not this problem
I see. I prefer to continue using Catalina and have the blurriness over rolling back to an old OS version. But I would like to know how to properly use Whatevergreen’s boot arguments. Also, when spoofing, you only change the platform id to a Skylake one, but keeping the frame buffer and other options as if it’s still Kabylake? Because instructions say you should change platform id, and it doesn’t seem right to only change that and not the entire patch set.

To get my HD 620 to work "properly" in Mojave and Catalina i have these boot arguments in my config.plist : dart=0, disablegfxfirmware, cdfon, igfxnohdmi, and lilucpu=8. Now, in Graphics i have selected in ig-platform-id :0x19160000 and that's it. Thius way i have no visual graphics issues in Mojave and Catalina with my HD620.
Now when i use High Sierra my config.plist has theses differences : in boot arguments : dart=0, cdfon,wegnoegpu. And in Graphics section : nothing.
Hope it can help

Well, I tried those values, and no use. The injections is correct and gradients and shadows are corrected in the laptop’s screen, but HDMI starts to “blink” or “glitch”. I tried with multiple ig-platforms and all are the same. A couple deactivated the acceleration or turned of HDMI. Majority fixed the gradients, but failed to give me a correct HDMI signal. It’s glitchy.

Using Kaby Lake graphics (but HD 615 instead of HD 620) I encounter no problems with HDMI. But of course, the laptop’s screen image quality is not right, gradients and shadows are weird, as you all know. Not a big deal, but I really can’t unsee it, and it bothers me that I have to pick one thing or the other.

sorry cant help with external hdmi usage because i do not use it ^^maybe if i plug an external monitor i would have same issue..
Just one question do you have a dsdt file for your machine ? Because on laptops it really is important i noticed.
But maybe you should do like me and pick the os that fits best your hardware? (as for me High Sierra)

I use a dsdt, yes. And I’ve been using different OS’ with this machine. I’ll stick with Catalina and not spoof Skylake graphics so HDMI can work correctly. But I’ll continue doing some testing to eventually find a solution.

EDIT: Finally! I can spoof SKL graphics, and everything works. I just needed to redo my dsdt and redo my config.plist including the patches.

Last edited:
EDIT: Finally! I can spoof SKL graphics, and everything works. I just needed to redo my dsdt and redo my config.plist including the patches.

Hi Shinji

Can you tell me what patches or how did you configure clover to fix this?
Thx!!

Hi Shinji

Can you tell me what patches or how did you configure clover to fix this?
Thx!!
i'm not shinji, but this is what you need to do (please read previous posts next time). If you still need help, search this forum (hint: rehabman)

Device Properties for IGFX/IGPU
device-id=16190000
AAPL,ig-platform-id=00001619

NVRAM boot-args
lilucpu=8

Try Bustycat's fix here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back