i5
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I put together my customac years ago. The same rig has been running windows for the last few years, and a family memeber was using it. There was a drive in the computer that I had labeled "osx" with a piece of tape. I tried plugging it in, not expecting much, but to my surprise, it successfully booted into 10.3.3. I making this post with my Hackintosh at the moment.

Two problems: First of all, I installed OSX on here before I had a graphics card, and the graphics work fine. Now that I have a graphics card, the display gets sent through the card, but I only can set my resolution to 1024x768, and the computer can only address 5MB of the 6GB of memory on the card.

Secondly, I want to update this OS to Mojave, or at least the newest macOS I can run.

Essentially, I want to update this OS to the newest version possible. Should I fix the display problem first? Or just update? When I update, can I update by just running the official macOS installer on this computer, or will I need to do extra steps since I am updating from such an old OS?

Thank you for any help!

I put together my customac years ago. The same rig has been running windows for the last few years, and a family memeber was using it. There was a drive in the computer that I had labeled "osx" with a piece of tape. I tried plugging it in, not expecting much, but to my surprise, it successfully booted into 10.3.3. I making this post with my Hackintosh at the moment.

Two problems: First of all, I installed OSX on here before I had a graphics card, and the graphics work fine. Now that I have a graphics card, the display gets sent through the card, but I only can set my resolution to 1024x768, and the computer can only address 5MB of the 6GB of memory on the card.

Secondly, I want to update this OS to Mojave, or at least the newest macOS I can run.

Essentially, I want to update this OS to the newest version possible. Should I fix the display problem first? Or just update? When I update, can I update by just running the official macOS installer on this computer, or will I need to do extra steps since I am updating from such an old OS?

Thank you for any help!

What is the exact model of the CPU you are using? Please update your Personal Details.

If you are using the GTX 1060 as stated in your profile, then you have 2 problems :
(1) The graphics card is not supported under Yosemite.
(2) The graphics card is not supported under Mojave at this time.

The GTX 1060 requires the Nvidia web drivers to function fully, and these drivers are only available on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6.

If you want to run MacOS, and if you do not want to replace your graphics card, I suggest you go with Sierra at this time. The High Sierra web drivers apparently do not work as well as the Sierra drivers.

Last edited:
What is the exact model of the CPU you are using? Please update your Personal Details.

Will do. Can I find that information in my BIOS? Or on the OS level through Windows 10 or OSX 10.3? I no longer have the box or any of the paperwork from the CPU I purchased years ago.

The GTX 1060 requires the Nvidia web drivers to function fully, and these drivers are only available on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra 10.13.6.

If you want to run MacOS, and if you do not want to replace your graphics card, I suggest you go with Sierra at this time. The High Sierra web drivers apparently do not work as well as the Sierra drivers.

Thank you for this information, this is really helpful. How would you suggest I go about updating to High Sierra/Sierra? Is there a particular guide I should follow? Would I be better off just installing from the ground-up, instead of trying to update from 10.3?

Will do. Can I find that information in my BIOS? Or on the OS level through Windows 10 or OSX 10.3? I no longer have the box or any of the paperwork from the CPU I purchased years ago.

You can view the CPU model in the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, press F9.

In Windows 10, you can view the CPU model in the Device Manager.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026149/windows-open-device-manager

Thank you for this information, this is really helpful. How would you suggest I go about updating to High Sierra/Sierra? Is there a particular guide I should follow? Would I be better off just installing from the ground-up, instead of trying to update from 10.3?

You can read the Installation Guide under Guides at the top of this forum. I would recommend a clean install.

My old PC have the same motherboard running windows since then and I just upgraded the GPU for RX580. I am wanting to have Mojave installed on it. Could you please let me know if my old builds ready for Mojave and extra steps I need to do? Thanks for you help.

MB: Z77X-UD5H rev 1.1 bios f16j
Bios Vendor : AMI UEFI BIOS
CPU : Intel i7-2600K @3.4ghz
GPU Powercolor RX580 8gb
Memory : G-Skill PC3-14900 32gb (4x8) 1866 mhz DDR3 SDram
Audio : Realtek ALC898 codec
Network:
1 x Atheros GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) (LAN1)
1 x Intel GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) (LAN2)

* Ordered Fenvi T919 for Wifi & Bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back