Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming
CPU
i7 6700k Skylake
Graphics
XFX Radeon VII
Mac
  1. iMac
I've just upgraded to Catalina 10.15.5 and I am stuck on a black screen - no apple logo at startup. It's just black.

I've also created a USB startup disk for Catalina using my macbookpro and following the guides here but it won't boot from that either.

Here is a pic of what I get when I try to boot in verbose mode from the clover boot screen:

IMG_2189.JPG

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

My build is:
Gigabyte Z170x Ultra Gaming
32gb DDR4 RAM
Intel i7 6700k Skylake
XFX Radeon VII GPU

Last edited:
Can be incorrect BIOS settings.
RAM slots.
Incorrect or missing memory fix driver.

How can I check/eliminate potential issues with RAM slots or missing/incorrect memory fix driver?
The most likely cause is the Clover memory fix driver.
Have a look, try a different one.

Try reducing memory to just one DIMM and see if it makes any difference.

Clover had installed AptioMemoryFix.efi, so I tried the most recent version of that I could find (v27) and I have now tried OSXAptioFixDrv.efi; OSXAptioFix3Drv.efi and OSXAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and none of them work. For all of these drivers, as soon as I select the USB in the Clover Boot Manager menu and hit return to boot the screen goes black and stays that way.

Any other ideas?

the screen goes black and stays that way.
The graphics may be working but on a different port than the one that you have connected to the monitor.

The monitors are connected to the first 2 display ports on the gpu. Bios shows up on the monitor connected to the first DisplayPort, nothing shows on the second monitor. I have the gfx on the motherboard turned off in bios. Also, I should mention that the computer is not trying to boot, after I select the usb boot drive on the clover boot manager screen, the cpu seems to spool up and then all the fans go back to idle and remains that way with a black screen.
Should I remove the GPU, turn on gfx on the motherboard and try to get it to boot without the gpu?

thanks again for your help!

Still unable to boot from SSD or USB. Here is the config.plist i'm using. I have made sure that I am using the latest versions of lilu.kext, FakeSMC.kext and whatevergreen.kext. as well as the latest versions of all drivers. Any and all insight is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• config.plist
    24.3 KB · Views: 75
I had the same issue. After several attempts I realize it was the signal to the monitor wasn't ok. My monitor ls LG with 3 inputs. I just change the inputs on screen and when I returned to the HDMI my hackintosh was plugged in... The installation was running: 45 minutes to finish. So try changing your HDMI ports on screen and see if it returns. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back