i7-4770
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

As many here, I decided to get a cheap AMD graphics card (I got a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8G Gaming) to replace my GTX 980Ti so I can upgrade to Mojave. Before ordering the card I did lots of reading here concluding the Radeon should work OOB.

My setup:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H MoBo
  • Intel Core i7 4770 CPU
  • Mac OS High Sierra 10.13 on a 1TB SSD
  • Windows 10 on a separated 500GB SSD
  • Clover bootloader, with dual boot
  • 3 x Dell 27" displays, connected via display port (2) and HDMI (1)
So this is what I did:
  1. Ran the uninstaller for the Nvidia web driver
  2. Manually removed CUDA
  3. Turned PC off, replaced the cards, turned PC on
Clover and Mac OS loading screen shows as usual then go to a black screen. I had no kexts for Nvidia in the kext/other folder, I added the Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts, even though this card suppose to work out of the box, nothing, still booting to a black screen.

I'm able to use share screen from another mac, but the system runs super slow. Then I found out here that setting the BIOS to use the integrated graphics as default should do the trick, but that only made two of my displays work. I connected one of the displays to both the Radeon and the MoBo HDMI so I can see the bios splash screen, but I can't see Clover and be able to pick between Windows or Mac.

At this point, I decided to create a Mojave clover boot USB to install it from scratch, but even this boots to a black screen.

I swear I did lots of reading here and for the life of me, I can't make this card work on my setup.

Please help!

Are you using a MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15/17 SysDef?

Did you consider injecting a GPU SSDT to fix the black screen issues?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/

I'm using iMac14,2. Should I change it to MacPro 6,1? I haven't tried injecting a GPU SSDT just because the card supposes to work out of the box, which it kind of does, is just I would prefer not having to set IGFX as default in the BIOS.

Still no luck with this. What I've done:

- Removed some preference files as suggested here
- Enabled RadeonDeinit
- Set PCI as primary and leave IGPU enabled
- Set PCI as primary and disable IGPU
- Tried Lilu and Whatevergreen

I'm running out of ideas. Is there a way to force clover to use a specific video controller?

Help?

Still no luck with this. What I've done:

- Removed some preference files as suggested here
- Enabled RadeonDeinit
- Set PCI as primary and leave IGPU enabled
- Set PCI as primary and disable IGPU
- Tried Lilu and Whatevergreen

I'm running out of ideas. Is there a way to force clover to use a specific video controller?

Help?

Is this a legacy only boot motherboard? Do you have UEFI boot option? RX cards are UEFI boot only innhe bios.
You may also try CSMvideodriver in Drivers64efi. You will have to run clover again and select it in Customize section.

Is this a legacy only boot motherboard? Do you have UEFI boot option? RX cards are UEFI boot only innhe bios.
You may also try CSMvideodriver in Drivers64efi. You will have to run clover again and select it in Customize section.

It is a UEFI motherboard, booting UEFI. The card works fine but only with IGPU enabled and set to default, but with that setting, I can't see the bios splash screen nor clover boot loader to select between OSs.

I'll give CSMvideodriver in Drivers64efi a try when I get home.

Thanks!

Something bizarre happened now. I decided to take a break from trying to make the Radeon work, so I was using my Hackintosh as usual, for about 30-45 mins, then it suddenly restarted itself, and it won't boot up. It will show clover, then the Apple logo boot up progress bar to about a quarter of the way, the reboot, repeat.

So I decided to connect the SSD with a USB adaptor to my MacBook, so I could restore a backup of my clover config.plist, but the MacBook crashes when the drive is mounted! so I tried my older MacBook, same thing! I can't mount this thing!

I plugged the drive back on the PC and booted windows, managed to mount the mac SSD from it and all the files are there, looks ok, so the SSD is working fine. The samsug magician shows that the drive is ok as well.

Has anyone experienced this?

I ended doing a clean install which works perfectly. After a few days, I decided to enable the CsmVideoDxe-64 driver to have QHD resolution on clover bootup, and guess what? it booted up to a black screen.

So I guess that was the cause of the issue in the first place because I had that driver in my original clover drivers folder.

I hope this helps somebody someday.

Hi richardpsic,

I have the same mobo on Mojave with integrated graphics enabled. After I start using video editing, I was thinking of investing into a GPU and chose this RX580 thanks to your post. I hope it works.

On this thread: I read " I think that’s card I got, hdmis don’t work off it so it’s pretty much a display port only card for OS X hackintosh "

Is this True?

Best Regards!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back