Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Sony SVS151190X, UEFI, HM77
CPU
i5-3210M 2.5GHz
Graphics
Intel HD4000, Optimus GT 640M, 1920x1080
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Working

1. VoodooPS2Controller - Trackpad shows up Sys->Prefs->Trackpad. (Fixed)
(I think installing VoodooPS2Controller.kext to Library/Extensions (instead of Clover Injection helped)
(Working once other ACPI fixes were implemented: Backlight Slider, Battery Percentage, etc)

2. "About This Mac" won't load. (still doesn't work)
Certain Apps that tries to access ACPI stuff won't load (or quits right after loading):
MachineProfile, Battery Monitor Apps, etc

(Although the "System Information," SMCsensors, and HWmonitor works fine)

3. Get LCD backlight adjustment to work (fixed)
(Used SSDT-PNLF.aml and placed it in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patch)
(SSDT-PNLF.aml is an add-on SSDT, I think that's a clover hotpatch right)

4. Get battery status to work (Fixed)
(Extracted DSDT, patched it with battery patch from repository. Added ACPIBatteryManager.kext)

4. Can actually boot into 10.13.6 (Fixed)
(Use clover version 4428. Other/later versions does not reliably boot 10.13.6)

Last edited:
macOS Sierra 10.12.6

1. VoodooPS2Controller - Trackpad not showing up under system preferences. (Only very basic trackpad functions)
(Followed instructions on GitHub. Removed AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. Installed voodoo2ps2 v1.8.34 kext, daemon.plist and daemon)

2. "About this Mac" won't load.

3. Have no idea how to get LCD backlight adjustment to work
(Way beyond my technical skills/understanding. I just don't understand DSDT patching/stuff and I've tried)

4. Have no idea how to get battery status to work
(Way beyond my technical skills/understanding. I just don't understand DSDT patching/stuff, and I've tried)

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
Ops. I didn't read the "Problem Reporting" section at all. I have no idea how to even generate/attach a problem report. Sigh, something new to learn.

I tried installing 10.11.6 El Capitan, and the About This Mac" no longer crashes, and VoodooPS2 trackpad configuration now shows up under System Prefs > Trackpad. I fixed the brightness slider with Intelbacklight.kext and "AddPNLR" and "useIntelBacklight" in clover. Also, extracted DSDT and patched with pre-made patch from from Rehabman laptop repo, now battery percentage works, it even fixed the wake from sleep problem.

I'll try to go back to Sierra/High Sierra now and see those 4 issues are resolved. The USB fix required for Sierra+ seems pretty hard to do, unless there's already a patch out there, such as the pre-made battery patch for my Sony. (Without the pre-made DSDT patch, I don't know how to manually patch my battery status. Too hard to figure out)

update: removed old "Problem Reporting" debug dump
Okay, attached "debug/problem reporting" dump. The automated dump .sh tool was really easy to use, thanks.

Update:
added IntelBacklight.kext and ACPIBatteryManager.kext to clover.
Added SSDT CPU power management patch to clover.
Patched DSDT with battery patch.
Made some changes to config.plist (can't remember what changes).
So now: native CPU power management works. sleep works. Synpatics PS2 trackpad shows up now in System Prefs -> Trackpad.
(I have no idea why Trackpad suddenly preferences works now, but I'm glad it does work)

What still doesn't work:
Brightness slider worked in El Capitan, no longer works in High Sierra.
About This Mac won't load/show up. "MachineProfile" loads then quits immediately.

Last edited:
Brightness slider worked in El Capitan, no longer works in High Sierra.

Guide is linked from the FAQ:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

About This Mac won't load/show up. "MachineProfile" loads then quits immediately.

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

EFI/Clover is missing from PR files.
No further analysis possible.

Update: attached updated "Problem Reporting" debug dump with latest changes

All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Got it, Removed all kexts from Clover, installed them to /Library/Extensions

Working/fixed: Native CPU power management, LCD brightness slider, Sleep, Trackpad preferences
Not Working: "About This Mac" crashes. "MachineProfile" App.

Need Help: CPU Undervolting
1. While on Battery Power: Disable CPU turbo boost (disable turbo in clover no longer works with SSDT injection)
2. While on Battery Power: Limit max CPU frequency to 2.0
3. Seriously Undervolt this CPU :( !!!
Battery life is abysmal. My 3210M is 35 Watt TDP, which is ridiculous for a mobile processor. I would like to experiment undervolting it at different voltages and frequencies, so that TDP is more similar to a U series 15 Watt TDP processor. Also, CPU package total is absurd. According to HWMonitor. IA is at 0.5W. Package total is at 4W. So the uncore is being highly inefficient at 3.5W at idle. 16W package total while loading into my account, not running prime95 or anything like that.
4. Make sure my Optimus GT640M LE is completely off and not using any power

Attachments

• debug_18383.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Update: attached updated "Problem Reporting" debug dump with latest changes

ACPI not patched correctly.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Got it, Removed all kexts from Clover, installed them to /Library/Extensions

Keep in mind certain kexts must remain (also) in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, or otherwise you're not able to boot the installer and/or recovery partition. You really need to read post #2 of the guide carefully:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Battery life is abysmal. My 3210M is 35 Watt TDP,

Your ioreg proves you neglected to disable the Nvidia device.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

ACPI not patched correctly.
How do I know what to patch?
What patches do I need to apply to my extracted .dsl files?

I haven't patched anything other than DSDT for speedstep, brightness slider, and battery life percentage.

I've tried hot patching the *common stuff* in clover by selecting the similar looking options in clover_configurator:
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT" (use only if you're dropping CPU related SSDTs)
"Add IMEI" (do not use if your DSDT or SSDTs already have IMEI/HECI/MEI device)

How do I know what to patch?
What patches do I need to apply to my extracted .dsl files?

I haven't patched anything other than DSDT for speedstep, brightness slider, and battery life percentage.

I've tried hot patching the *common stuff* in clover by selecting the similar looking options in clover_configurator:
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Fix PNOT/PPNT" (use only if you're dropping CPU related SSDTs)
"Add IMEI" (do not use if your DSDT or SSDTs already have IMEI/HECI/MEI device)

It really depends on hardware and other things...
I checked only for an "OS Check Fix" patch being applied, and didn't find it. It is one of the more important and required for almost all laptops.

Other patches depend on hardware or problem to be solved.

I checked only for an "OS Check Fix" patch being applied
Yeah, I don't think I applied that one. I couldn't find "os check fix" in clover configuration. It's not the Darwin or Darwin7 fix is it?

I'd rather do as much clover hot patching as possible (which im not sure if using clover configuration counts because I don't know how to manually convert the patch repository to clover.plist format) But if os check fix isn't available in clover_configurator, I guess I can manually add it to an extracted dsdt.dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back