Asus Z170-A
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone I hope you are all doing well,

About 2 months ago I set up my first Hackintosh that uses Clover as the boot-loader. It is configured to triple boot Linux Ubuntu, Mac Sierra, and Windows 10. Each of these OS's are installed on its own HDD.

I recently have been working from home and not wanting to install all of my employers programs on my main PC, I inserted a new HDD into my computer and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 onto that HDD.

Now onto the problem, Everything is working great except for one minor hiccup, I now have 2 Windows 10 installs, a Mac OS Sierra install, and a Ubuntu install. But when the computer starts up, both Windows icons are the exact same.

I would like to be able to change the Windows Icons to something different so I can easily tell them apart on the clover boot screen.

Here is a link to what my screen currently looks like on boot.

http://vanimox.com/pics/boot.jpg

You will notice that both windows 10 icons are there and they are the same, how can I change one of them to be different?

I am using the Universe theme.

Any help would be so much appreciated. Thank you so much for your time and I hope you all have an amazing weekend.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,022
No one....? Please I need help...

Moved to Multi Booting.

There is no requirement to host your images on third party sites - You may attach them to your posts here.

No one....? Please I need help...

Please read and comply with the rules :
The Rules said:
Bumping a thread is allowed after waiting at least 24 hours with no more than one bump per day

Moved to Multi Booting.

There is no requirement to host your images on third party sites - You may attach them to your posts here.

Please read and comply with the rules :

Just a quick question, did replying to my own post "bump" it, or is there something different I click on to bump the post. Thanks!

Just a quick question, did replying to my own post "bump" it, or is there something different I click on to bump the post. Thanks!
Replying to your own post is a 'bump'.

See https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/configuration/gui
Suggest you boot each Windows installation, click Start, right click computer, select properties and give each Win10 drive a unique name (i.e Win10Home and Win10Work)
You can use Clover Configurator to set up the custom icons so your Win10 icons have the same name as the drive.

Hello Everyone,

I managed to figure out the issue and I wanted to post my results incase anyone in the future ever has this issue.

1) Find a PNG photo that is 128 by 128 pixels that you would like to use.
2) drag the PNG photo to the root of the EFI partition drive.
3) Locate the UUID of the EFI drive you want to change.
4)
First click on the FIRST arrow pointing to the right at the bottom left side of the Clover window and select your Clover Config file and open it.
a) Open Clover Configurator>GUI.
b) Check the box that says "Custom Icons" - refer to pictures for the correct box to check.
c) Click the "+" under "Custom Entries" and a new box will open. - refer to pictures.
d) Enter your UUID (this MUST be UUID the EFI partition). - refer to pictures.
e) Select your volume name (Your EFI partition MUST be mounted to do this, also please keep in mind if you are using a multi-boot computer, you WILL have multiple mountable EFI's, you need to locate the correct EFI partition),
f)Enter your volume "Title/Full Title" (this can be anything you want it to be) and check the box below it.
g) Enter of the picture file name (DO NOT include the full file path) - refer to pictures.
h) DON'T enter anything into "Driveimage" OR "CustomLogo" - Leave these BLANK
i) Select the Type of OS this is (if you select the wrong OS, nothing will work!!!). - refer to pictures.
j) Select your "Volume Type" - refer to pictures.
k) click on "Hidden" dropdown and select if you want to hide this drive at Clover boot.

Yes = Hide this drive, but if I press F3 on the keyboard, the drive will show, if I press F3 again it will hide the drive again.
No = This drive will display once Clover launches.
Always = This Drive will NEVER show.

5) Click the SECOND arrow pointing to the right at the bottom left side of the clover window and click save.
6) Kick back, relax, restart your computer, and check out your newly changed clover drive image.

Hope this helps anyone having this issue in the future!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,145
  • abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 2,268
See https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/configuration/gui
Suggest you boot each Windows installation, click Start, right click computer, select properties and give each Win10 drive a unique name (i.e Win10Home and Win10Work)
You can use Clover Configurator to set up the custom icons so your Win10 icons have the same name as the drive.
I tried that but figuring out how to actually get clover to add the custom image was the hard part. That documentation page you referred to I must have read though about 100 times. Its very unclear on many aspects of the documentation. But with a little (I mean A LOT) of trial and error I was able to get everything working.

Unfortunately, the Clover GUI guide hasn't really helped on setting up custom icons. As with the OP, I've gone over it countless times, and tried many different interpretations of the instructions, but with no luck.

While it looks comprehensive on its face, it's vague on some important specifics, like what format and size we should use for an icon, and what volume and directory it should go in. And for that matter, what the path should look like, i.e. /Volumes/EFI/EFI/... , /EFI/EFI/..., /EFI/... etc. etc.

The Clover GUI guide would really benefit from specific examples that lay everything out without ambiguity.

¯\(ツ)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I managed to figure out the issue and I wanted to post my results incase anyone in the future ever has this issue.

1. Find a PNG photo that is 128 by 128 pixels that you would like to use.
  2. drag the PNG photo to the root of the EFI partition drive.
  3. Locate the UUID of the EFI drive you want to change.
4)
First click on the FIRST arrow pointing to the right at the bottom left side of the Clover window and select your Clover Config file and open it.
a) Open Clover Configurator>GUI.
b) Check the box that says "Custom Icons" - refer to pictures for the correct box to check.
c) Click the "+" under "Custom Entries" and a new box will open. - refer to pictures.
d) Enter your UUID (this MUST be UUID the EFI partition). - refer to pictures.
e) Select your volume name (Your EFI partition MUST be mounted to do this, also please keep in mind if you are using a multi-boot computer, you WILL have multiple mountable EFI's, you need to locate the correct EFI partition),
f)Enter your volume "Title/Full Title" (this can be anything you want it to be) and check the box below it.
g) Enter of the picture file name (DO NOT include the full file path) - refer to pictures.
h) DON'T enter anything into "Driveimage" OR "CustomLogo" - Leave these BLANK
i) Select the Type of OS this is (if you select the wrong OS, nothing will work!!!). - refer to pictures.
j) Select your "Volume Type" - refer to pictures.
k) click on "Hidden" dropdown and select if you want to hide this drive at Clover boot.

Yes = Hide this drive, but if I press F3 on the keyboard, the drive will show, if I press F3 again it will hide the drive again.
No = This drive will display once Clover launches.
Always = This Drive will NEVER show.

1. Click the SECOND arrow pointing to the right at the bottom left side of the clover window and click save.
  2. Kick back, relax, restart your computer, and check out your newly changed clover drive image.

Hope this helps anyone having this issue in the future!

I very much appreciate your detailed guide.

Unfortunately, I still couldn't get my icons to appear in the Clover bootloader for any of my SSDs. One icon appears on an old HD (it reads directly from the icon that I pasted onto the disk icon in the "info" dialog). The other disk icons used to work like that too, but stopped working some time ago (forget when, perhaps last worked on El Capitan? Or perhaps a specific Clover Update?). I even tried copying the working icon onto the other drives, just in case that was the issue. I've even tried creating actual icon files *.icns for the drives. No luck.

EFI UUID
I tried using the EFI Volume UUID (which is what I assume we're supposed to be using: I've attached a screenshot of the UUID I assume we're supposed to use). When that didn't work, I also tried the EFI Disk UUID and the Main Vulume Disk UUID. I've tried selecting all of the above from the drop down list, and copy/pasting all of the UUIDs directly in dialog box above it. None has worked.

Also note: steps d) and e) are chained/mirrored for me. Whatever I put in one is reflected/changed in the other. From the directions it sounds like they're supposed to be different things, no?

Icon placement
I placed the *.png icon in the root /Volumes/EFI root directory and the /Volumes/EFI/EFI directory of both the main boot drive and the secondary drive it was supposed to be for. (I even placed it in the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/themes directory, and the /YosemiteLogin subfolder, and the /YosemiteLogin/icons subfolder inside that.

I hope I'm just making a simple mistake (say, misunderstanding one of the steps, like what ID goes where). But I've tried quite a few variants and have run out of ideas.

I'm wondering if the problem might be how my MacOS SSDs are formatted (they have a "Container disk" in between the Drive type and the drive name. (?)

For example:

The disk icon appears for my old HD, which appears as follows in the Disk Utility app:
->WDC WD10001...
--->DriveName1

But the icons don't load on any of my SSDs, which look like this:
->Samsung SSD 840...
--->Container Disk 7
----->DriveName2

Attachments

• EFI Volume ID.png
    EFI Volume ID.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 440
Status
Not open for further replies.